Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Jun 6, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #2,746 of 3,339
That sounds a bit like a zero sum sliding scale between preferences and science or maybe we're saying the same thing.  I think it's more of an additive relationship.  If science fluctuated that much it would be largely invalid but we know it's basically valid by definition of being empirical.  Science doesn't care what we think about it.  Whether it's 'sound' enough to define our preferences is the real question as that is what fluctuates and harder to quantify.  Well, this is an OT academic discussion but interesting nonetheless so I'll leave it be.  Back to the Schiit.

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #2,747 of 3,339
Quote:

You could even say that it evolves
wink.gif

Definitely :)

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #2,748 of 3,339
Unless you're hinting at the sociological dimension of how science gets done, I find it hard to agree. I'd say Science's validity corresponds to the generalizability of its models and the range and depth of their predictive sucesses. I'm with Anaxilus' response just above.

I've used the Bifrost with Meier's Concerto and Classic amps. I slightly prefer Meier's StageDAC with both.

Of the two amps, Bifrost with Concerto is more 'hard-edged'. All-round clarity is great, but perhaps a touch unforgiving; slightly less natural. Dependent on preferences, of course.

With Classic - which is slightly warmer than Concerto, having much less of Concerto's fast decay (dryness) - it's pretty good to my ears.

Quote:
Thats one of the great things about science: its validity fluctuates based on our preferences and pre-conceived notions.
Is anyone using the bifrost with a Meier amp?

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #2,749 of 3,339
Quote:
Unless you're hinting at the sociological dimension of how science gets done, I find it hard to agree. I'd say Science's validity corresponds to the generalizability of its models and the range and depth of their predictive sucesses. I'm with Anaxilus' response just above.

I've used the Bifrost with Meier's Concerto and Classic amps. I slightly prefer Meier's StageDAC with both.

Of the two amps, Bifrost with Concerto is more 'hard-edged'. All-round clarity is great, but perhaps a touch unforgiving; slightly less natural. Dependent on preferences, of course.

With Classic - which is slightly warmer than Concerto, having much less of Concerto's fast decay (dryness) - it's pretty good to my ears.

Actually I was just being facetious :) 

Thanks for the feedback about the Bifrost/Meier pairing. I'm actually glad to hear you say the StageDAC is better cause I'm always looking for an excuse to send Jan some money. I have an AudioEngine D1 that I love, but it's really itching to be a bit more mobile around the house. I'm thinking about an upgrade for the main stationary rig, and both the Bifrost and the StageDAC are on my short list.

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #2,750 of 3,339
Hi @Focker - right, gotcha - I should've seen that 
wink_face.gif

When I ordered my Classic, Jan told me he's got a new (simpler I think) DAC on the drawing board!

Jun 11, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #2,751 of 3,339
Quote:
Hi @Focker - right, gotcha - I should've seen that 
wink_face.gif

When I ordered my Classic, Jan told me he's got a new (simpler I think) DAC on the drawing board!

No kidding? Jan is a sneaky, sneaky guy....just when he says he's going to scale back in order to enjoy life a bit more, here he comes with new products every third month lol. Gotta love that guy. Thanks for the tip, brother...I can't wait to see what he's got in store!

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #2,752 of 3,339
Quote:
i'm still really enjoying the bifrost. Some of the sibilance issues i was having havent gone away over time. Also the clicking coming from the unit itself every time you change applications or click something...rather annoying but I can't complain on the sound front too much. 

Did you resolve this issue? (clicking)  You need to change you sound settings on the PC/Laptop.

If you are using Windows 7

Right Click the speaker icon (should be lower right hand side of the screen)

Open Volume Mixer

Mute System sounds (see attached pic)

Hope this helps!

Jun 12, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #2,753 of 3,339
So it's not the Bifrost clicking but the system sounds that are coming through?

Jun 12, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #2,754 of 3,339
Quote:

If you're using optical then the Bifrost typically clicks (muting relay) whenever a sound starts or stops. With system sounds on and going through the Bifrost that means every time you click on something the Bifrost will likely click twice as it unmutes and then remutes itself.

Jun 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #2,755 of 3,339
Quote:
Quote:

If you're using optical then the Bifrost typically clicks (muting relay) whenever a sound starts or stops. With system sounds on and going through the Bifrost that means every time you click on something the Bifrost will likely click twice as it unmutes and then remutes itself.

Whenever the music or the system sounds starts and stops, or both?

Jun 12, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #2,758 of 3,339
Quote:
Have you tried to mute the system sounds,  or turn them off?

I don't have a Bifrost, but I am considering a Gungnir. I don't know if it clicks as well though. Just trying to get a feel for what this clicking issue is about with the Bifrost. On my Mac Pro, I always route system sounds to the internal speaker.

Quote:

Both, I believe. One click for unmute when the sound starts, and another click for mute when the sound stops, if I'm not mistaken.

So if I route the system sounds elsewhere (internal speaker) or mute them, then I will have no clicking issue?

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #2,760 of 3,339
I typically use mine through USB, but when I did use it with optical it clicked every time it switched between playing and not playing sound.

So if I had no music playing it would click twice for every system sound (once to unmute, once to mute again at the end of the sound). It also clicked twice every time I switched tracks, apparently there is enough of a gap as it loads the next track that it has time to mute and then unmute once the next track starts.

With that said, I don't believe Jason has said whether Gungnir does the same thing. It would also probably be very dependent on what your system does when nothing is playing. In Windows 7 with a Creative sound card through optical it clicks all the time. I believe it also clicked when dailydoseofdaly tried it on his Mac, but I wasn't paying enough attention to say for sure.

Even with no system sounds, it will still likely click when you start or stop music (and possibly moving from track to track as well, up above when I said it clicked when switching tracks I believe it was when I was actively switching them, not when one would end and go to the next on its own, but it's been a while so it's possible I'm mistaken on that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back