Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
Oct 3, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #1,366 of 1,448
About the noisy meets - ALL headphones sounded absolutely the same to me (exaggeration, but you get the point). It really is not the best place to evaluate.

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #1,367 of 1,448
  On that note of "pacing around" while waiting for "my precious" to return, at what height do you think a Bifrost, once fully packed in the original shipping box, could survive 
blink.gif

I have just returned from the Post Office, and the question is unfortunately related 
frown.gif

Also, regarding the noisy meet, I've been thinking about that - but I have no good solutions? Has anyone found a general way to host a meet with a quiet room? I recently went to a meet, which was actually part of a larger general audio festival, much like what I'm sure Rocky Mountain Fest is this weekend. The festival I attended was hosted at a hotel, reserved for the entire weekend. The headphone meet was on Sunday, and talk about background noise - there was a guy in the same room with us, literally grinding some object. I could still discern Yggy versus Gumby versus Bamby. But we also tried to do a D-S and R2R comparison on two Gumbys, and the differences weren't notable due to the background noise. Is there a thread with discussions on quiet meets with a HowTo or recommended venues? The HeadFi community truly needs to have a way to do this.

Meetings can be fun and a place to touch the new toys but a noisy environment is not the way to compare anything. Also doing a proper comparison is not simple due to the human condition, we have many shortcomings that we are either unaware of or unwilling to accept. Don't let me get in the way of enjoying your soon to be new aquisition. Unfortunately for audiophiles, "The truth is out there." 
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #1,368 of 1,448
  Meetings can be fun and a place to touch the new toys but a noisy environment is not the way to compare anything. Also doing a proper comparison is not simple due to the human condition, we have many shortcomings that we are either unaware of or unwilling to accept. Don't let me get in the way of enjoying your soon to be new aquisition. Unfortunately for audiophiles, "The truth is out there." 
biggrin.gif

The truth is out where? Sorry, I'm a little confused. There seems to be a subtext to what you're stating, and which I am not comprehending.

More specifically, where do you engage in listening? I personally only have the opportunity to critically listen at home - but I feel that some form of constructive sharing, in a more public space, would be beneficial to the community at large. This is what I'm getting at - listening only at home, and then posting doesn't really convey to others the sonic benefits of a particular technology. And of course we each hear differently. So it usually ends up in threads with people bashing one another's opinions.

But you seem to have a different thought in your subtext, and I would truly appreciate if you would share 
frown.gif

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #1,369 of 1,448
  The truth is out where? Sorry, I'm a little confused. There seems to be a subtext to what you're stating, and which I am not comprehending.

More specifically, where do you engage in listening? I personally only have the opportunity to critically listen at home - but I feel that some form of constructive sharing, in a more public space, would be beneficial to the community at large. This is what I'm getting at - listening only at home, and then posting doesn't really convey to others the sonic benefits of a particular technology. And of course we each hear differently. So it usually ends up in threads with people bashing one another's opinions.

But you seem to have a different thought in your subtext, and I would truly appreciate if you would share 
frown.gif

I am lucky to live near NYC and have friends that buy all sorts of kit that I get to listen to in quiet settings. I also used to work with electronic musical instruments and recording studios, etc. and have developed a good ear for sound. Not to mention that I'm an EE.

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #1,371 of 1,448
^ Looking forward to your impressions. Someone in another thread pointed out that CEntrance is starting to use the same DAC chip. Quite interested in hearing what you think of the Schiit implementation. 

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #1,373 of 1,448
Thanks,
Yea so far with "compairisons" I've been able to compare my Magni and Valhalla2, so ill definetly be comparing the bifrost vs modi as well as I'm going to try and try the bifrost with my marantz in 2.0 channels
^ Looking forward to your impressions. Someone in another thread pointed out that CEntrance is starting to use the same DAC chip. Quite interested in hearing what you think of the Schiit implementation. 

Oct 6, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #1,375 of 1,448
Ordered the multi-bit upgrade late on Friday and tonight the status says "You are currently in position 7 out of 46.". But no email asking me to send it in yet.

I'm kind.of anxious to compare it to my Paradisea 3, an R-2R DAC from MHDT Labs in Taiwan. It outperformed the Uber Bifrost so it should be a good test of the MB BF.

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #1,376 of 1,448
Ordered the multi-bit upgrade late on Friday and tonight the status says "You are currently in position 7 out of 46.". But no email asking me to send it in yet.

I'm kind.of anxious to compare it to my Paradisea 3, an R-2R DAC from MHDT Labs in Taiwan. It outperformed the Uber Bifrost so it should be a good test of the MB BF.

There are more posts in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782824/schiit-fire-and-save-matches-bifrost-multibit-is-here

@Astral Abyss was originally in position #6, and appears to have already received an RMA. It's moving queue, so give Schiit a couple of days to complete the first batch of upgrades and to run through the burn-in process.

Oct 6, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #1,377 of 1,448
  There are more posts in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782824/schiit-fire-and-save-matches-bifrost-multibit-is-here

@Astral Abyss was originally in position #6, and appears to have already received an RMA. It's moving queue, so give Schiit a couple of days to complete the first batch of upgrades and to run through the burn-in process.

My Bifrost is scheduled to arrive at Schiit HQ today.  Hopefully the turn-around is quick and they release more return authorizations soon.

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #1,379 of 1,448
Yep! But THO, what's the main diffrence if I do or don't order the $250 upgrade? What would that mainly benefit or for?

This may be a repeat post, but I suggest you try this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/779860/schiit-gungnir-multi-bit-captures-the-same-magic-of-yggy

I personally suggest you enjoy your Bifrost "4490". Having owned the "Uber", and being a fan of its sound signature, combined with the folks at Schiit stating the "4490" has an upgraded sound - you may have all the DAC you'll ever need. Listen to it for a while, and make your decisions based on that. And if / when that itch comes, you have a company backing you up with current and future upgrade options
tongue.gif

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #1,380 of 1,448

Users who are viewing this thread

Back