Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #1,066 of 2,857
after a few weeks i have come to the conclusion that this amp is not a good combination with my DT880's. the amp is waaaaayyyyyy to clinical. coupled with the Mani its not a good combination. i was hoping for a bit more TBH but i suppose if you are using a digital front end and different headphones then it might just be the ticket but otherwise in my system its just plain shiit.

cant wait till the lockdown is over so i can find something else otherwise i'm going to end up throwing this thing at the wall.
To be fair, you could have anticipated this. The DT880, like many Beyers (I owned the DT880 600ohm) are well known for being anything but warm and the same goes for every Asgard variety. I personally owned the DT880 and Asgard 2 and found the Yulong A28 to have much better synergy with some tilt toward warmth. You can also pair the 880 with a tube amp tuned to be a little warm and get better effect, or simply get a warmer headphone. It doesn't sound like you gravitate towards neutral signatures. I very much enjoyed the 880 back when I owned it, but now given my shift towards preferring a little warmth I wonder if I would like it as much. I have made a few easy to prevent equipment mispairings in my day.

Apr 5, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #1,067 of 2,857
after a few weeks i have come to the conclusion that this amp is not a good combination with my DT880's. the amp is waaaaayyyyyy to clinical. coupled with the Mani its not a good combination. i was hoping for a bit more TBH but i suppose if you are using a digital front end and different headphones then it might just be the ticket but otherwise in my system its just plain shiit.

cant wait till the lockdown is over so i can find something else otherwise i'm going to end up throwing this thing at the wall.
If the voicing of Schiit's amps aren't doing anything for you, then try a different flavor!

I recently picked up a Massdrop x Cavalli Liquid Carbon X (normally $300, now on sale for $200) and I'm extremely happy with it. It's essentually the 'anti-Schiit' as far as voicing is concerned. It has a beautiful, rich tonallity that is borderline addictive, while still sounding quite transparent, and a deeper but narrower soundstage.

It's always nice to have choices because one size never fits all.

The LCX gets a big recommendation from me!

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #1,068 of 2,857

Why didnt you just return it . I dislike clinical sounding amps greatly. It's the last thing I would call the Asgard 3 is clinical. I have a tube amp and a hybrid and the Asgard sounds great even in comparison to those more expensive amps.

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #1,069 of 2,857

hahah

Apr 6, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #1,070 of 2,857
If the voicing of Schiit's amps aren't doing anything for you, then try a different flavor!

I recently picked up a Massdrop x Cavalli Liquid Carbon X (normally $300, now on sale for $200) and I'm extremely happy with it. It's essentually the 'anti-Schiit' as far as voicing is concerned. It has a beautiful, rich tonallity that is borderline addictive, while still sounding quite transparent, and a deeper but narrower soundstage.

It's always nice to have choices because one size never fits all.

The LCX gets a big recommendation from me!

Great suggestion! I have the original Liquid Carbon and it's a wonderful amp.

Apr 6, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #1,071 of 2,857
My Asgard 3 arrived on Saturday, and I've been having a great time with it. It does indeed give me the extra power in the low end that I wanted from the Magni 3+, keeps the snappy transient dynamics, but is also deeper and more substantial in presence compared to the slightly flatter or more brittle feeling from the Magni. (I'm still really, really impressed with how great the Magni sounds for its price, by the way.) But now I'm similarly impressed with how fantastic the A3 sounds for ITS price.

The only downside so far, apart from a slight blemish in the brushed aluminum on the front, is the amp is powerful enough now that I've made my ears a bit sore. Gotta be careful with that.

I've been using my HD660S and my LCD-X. The Audeze are perfect on low gain, whereas the 660S seem to be awkwardly between the two gain settings for their impedance.

Next up, I'm seriously eying a Bifrost 2 to pair with this puppy and upgrade the Modi 3.

Apr 6, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #1,072 of 2,857
I wish there was something like the asgard, but with balanced inputs. SE output is fine. and not jotunheim.
Asgard+ would be an instant buy for me. I just don't like RCA inputs on an amp, so much potential for grounding/noise issues.

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #1,073 of 2,857
Forum error, please ignore this.

Apr 6, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #1,074 of 2,857
Hey, guys.
I've been out of the game for a while (got into photography...and I thought headphones were expensive!). I'm currently stripped down to a laptop with an Audinst HUD-MX1, and ATH-M40X (with aftermarket pads), SoundMAGIC HP150 (with aftermarket pads), and Philips SHP9500s (although they're mainly attached to my Yamaha receiver for PS4/movies). I'm looking for a bit more clarity/resolution/soundstage, although I still like bass and treble to be a bit north of neutral. I've read most of this thread and I've done a fair amount of other research, and I'm looking at the Asgard 3 (with 4490) with the DT1990s. A couple questions: has anybody tried the 1990/A3 combo? Also, stupid question, but for USA, I'd want the 115 VAC option, correct?

Apr 6, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #1,075 of 2,857
The only downside so far, apart from a slight blemish in the brushed aluminum on the front, is the amp is powerful enough now that I've made my ears a bit sore. Gotta be careful with that.

I've been using my HD660S and my LCD-X. The Audeze are perfect on low gain, whereas the 660S seem to be awkwardly between the two gain settings for their impedance.

its needs a mid gain setting.. i need to be very careful with the sound levels..

Apr 6, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #1,077 of 2,857
Hey, guys.
I've been out of the game for a while (got into photography...and I thought headphones were expensive!). I'm currently stripped down to a laptop with an Audinst HUD-MX1, and ATH-M40X (with aftermarket pads), SoundMAGIC HP150 (with aftermarket pads), and Philips SHP9500s (although they're mainly attached to my Yamaha receiver for PS4/movies). I'm looking for a bit more clarity/resolution/soundstage, although I still like bass and treble to be a bit north of neutral. I've read most of this thread and I've done a fair amount of other research, and I'm looking at the Asgard 3 (with 4490) with the DT1990s. A couple questions: has anybody tried the 1990/A3 combo? Also, stupid question, but for USA, I'd want the 115 VAC option, correct?
I use G6 (DAC) -> Asgard 3 -> DT-1990 (Dekoni Elite Velour). Yes, for USA, you want 115VAC.

The power output for the DT-1990 is superb. Microdynamics are top notch, and impact is the same at low volume as is high, thx to 500mW Class A power. The linear volume pot is also lovely. I didn't want a DAC card since I'd want toslink options.

Apr 10, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #1,078 of 2,857
Did you use their contact form or the e-mail address found at their site? I ordered Saga+ and it arrived today, ordered 20/03 so there was a bit of a turn-over due to corona situation. If stuff is not in stock it will take a while. But they should answer their e-mails about that.. they did answer mine.

I also tried the UK schiit guys but they are not allowed to ship to Benelux, not their 'jurisdiction'

Anyone here heard anything from Schiit-Europe, or Sonority as the company behind it seems?
I've tried multiple times to get in contact; even found a phone number, but that is disconnected....

Might try ordering with their US site, accept the risk of additional import cost and tax....

Apr 10, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #1,079 of 2,857
Anyone here heard anything from Schiit-Europe, or Sonority as the company behind it seems?
I've tried multiple times to get in contact; even found a phone number, but that is disconnected....

Might try ordering with their US site, accept the risk of additional import cost and tax....
On their sorority mail they replied within 2-3 days, for me.

Apr 10, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #1,080 of 2,857
Has anyone with a trained ear been able to experiment with headphones that actually need to max out the Asgard 3 on high gain? I’m curious how the Continuity principle works in practice (linear sound quality at max levels with no increased distortion, etc).

I’m using the Aeon 2 Open’s, and I need to go to 3 o’clock on high gain which is almost max (goes to ~5 o’clock). I have a very untrained ear, so I wouldn’t know what to listen for if it hit me in the face :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back