Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #1,081 of 2,857
Has anyone with a trained ear been able to experiment with headphones that actually need to max out the Asgard 3 on high gain? I’m curious how the Continuity principle works in practice (linear sound quality at max levels with no increased distortion, etc).

I’m using the Aeon 2 Open’s, and I need to go to 3 o’clock on high gain which is almost max (goes to ~5 o’clock). I have a very untrained ear, so I wouldn’t know what to listen for if it hit me in the face :)

I'm listening to the Aeon 2 as well right now from the Asgard, and upon reading your comment I took a look at the pot position and it's sitting at almost 9 o'clock right now (music in play: September from Earth, Wind & Fire on Tidal). Going to about 11 o'clock it gets painfully unlistenable. How the heck can you listen to it at 3 o'clock? PS.: my source is the Bifrost 2.

Apr 15, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #1,082 of 2,857
after a few weeks i have come to the conclusion that this amp is not a good combination with my DT880's. the amp is waaaaayyyyyy to clinical. coupled with the Mani its not a good combination. i was hoping for a bit more TBH but i suppose if you are using a digital front end and different headphones then it might just be the ticket but otherwise in my system its just plain shiit.

cant wait till the lockdown is over so i can find something else otherwise i'm going to end up throwing this thing at the wall.

You likely don't like the sound signature of the DT880, not the amp. Beyer headphones are very sharp, and I personally like none.

Apr 15, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #1,083 of 2,857
I'm listening to the Aeon 2 as well right now from the Asgard, and upon reading your comment I took a look at the pot position and it's sitting at almost 9 o'clock right now (music in play: September from Earth, Wind & Fire on Tidal). Going to about 11 o'clock it gets painfully unlistenable. How the heck can you listen to it at 3 o'clock? PS.: my source is the Bifrost 2.

I thought the same thing. I'm not using Aeon 2s, but I'm usually at 7:00-7:30 on high gain with either HD6XX or Aeolus. HD6Xx might be a touch higher. 9:00 is super loud for me. 3:00 seems like it would melt headphones.

Sean_MR said:
I’m using the Aeon 2 Open’s, and I need to go to 3 o’clock on high gain which is almost max (goes to ~5 o’clock). I have a very untrained ear, so I wouldn’t know what to listen for if it hit me in the face

Do you have your source volume turned down?

Apr 15, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #1,084 of 2,857
I thought the same thing. I'm not using Aeon 2s, but I'm usually at 7:00-7:30 on high gain with either HD6XX or Aeolus. HD6Xx might be a touch higher. 9:00 is super loud for me. 3:00 seems like it would melt headphones.

HD6XX gets slightly louder than the Aeon 2 on the same pot position, I just tried here. He is 1- on low gain, 2- with source volume toned down, 3- using a pre-amp, or 4- deaf.

On a side note, how well does the Aeolus play on the A3? That's my next headphone.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #1,085 of 2,857
Aeolus is excellent on the Asgard 3. Like the HD6XX, but "more", if you get what I mean. I haven't tried the Aeolus on any other amp though.

My source is also a Bifrost 2, so I can safely say you're in for a real treat when you get your Aeolus.

Apr 15, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #1,086 of 2,857
Aeolus is excellent on the Asgard 3. Like the HD6XX, but "more", if you get what I mean. I haven't tried the Aeolus on any other amp though.

My source is also a Bifrost 2, so I can safely say you're in for a real treat when you get your Aeolus.

Glad to hear it. I wish I had it already for the lockdown and all since I'm working from home and I get to listen to music a lot now, but it was either the Aeolus or the Bifrost 2 a couple months ago. I think I did good upgrading the source first though, since I already had good headphones. Now with the difference between CAD and USD bigger than before, I'd rather wait a bit before throwing money at Zac's doorstep.

Apr 15, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #1,087 of 2,857
My Tube-01 Preamp arrived today, with the GE JAN 5654W tubes. It's such a cute little thing. :beyersmile: Currently letting it burn in and settle. (It's amusing to listen to, as the signature will change after 10 minutes, making any EQ attempts feeble. For example, the bass just got stronger during my play of "Hotel California", and I just decided to turn off all EQ.)

The unit by default comes with 6N1 tubes, but I opted for the upgraded tubes for $20 more. (what a racket tube sellers have) I opted for the upgraded military spec tubes in hopes for longer endurance and clear signal. These sound great. My first note is that the output from the G6 has a touch of dryness (typical of odd order SS harmonics) which the preamp has removed. That alone makes the upgrade worth it. The timbre of instruments and vocals have also improved, becoming more of what they should sound like. Very reminiscent of the signature of my HD580, those lush, rich vocals, but with the added strengths of the Tesla drivers.

The gain output can go stronger than typical 2V RMS, so I'm finding I have to keep adjusting the preamp output as the tubes break in, and synergize with the Asgard 3 to improve dynamics and impact. I had a VERY impressive TV show watching of "FBI Most Wanted" with some great effects impact, Very authoritative.

These tubes are known for clarity and smoothness, and they are. Smexy smooth, wets the sound just enough, and adds a touch of sweetness. Overall a great improvement. No comment about warmness since I'm only about 2 hours into this, but so far the DT-1990 sound great with the new Dekoni pads and no EQ. If they don't change much more, I'll do a small subbass boost (about 2-3dB), and that'll be it. I love the fact that some tunes that I loved on the HD580, and did not sound as good on the DT-1990 now sound as involving as they once did. Joy!

new_audio_tubes.jpg

PS - Tube glow is so mesmerizing!

PPS - When adjusting the preamp gain, if I go too far, I find the mids start to get pushed forward in a bad way, and things get a little shouty. So far, 2:00 seems to be ideal for impact, bass, and maintaining balance.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #1,088 of 2,857

Do you have your source volume turned down?
That’s really strange. I wonder if my Aeon 2 or Asgard are not functioning properly? I’m going USB from my laptop, and the source volume is always at 100%. I do have the 4490 DAC chip in my Asgard, maybe that could affect it?

I’ll go double check in a bit, and get back to all you! Now I’m curious too.

Apr 15, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #1,089 of 2,857
That’s really strange. I wonder if my Aeon 2 or Asgard are not functioning properly? I’m going USB from my laptop, and the source volume is always at 100%. I do have the 4490 DAC chip in my Asgard, maybe that could affect it?

I’ll go double check in a bit, and get back to all you! Now I’m curious too.

The sound coming from the Bifrost 2 is definitely louder than when using the 4490 module (I have both, so I can check), but the discrepancy shouldn't be astronomical like you say. Using the 4490 won't ever take me beyond 11 o'clock.

Apr 15, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #1,090 of 2,857
The sound coming from the Bifrost 2 is definitely louder than when using the 4490 module (I have both, so I can check), but the discrepancy shouldn't be astronomical like you say. Using the 4490 won't ever take me beyond 11 o'clock.
Full disclosure, I am relatively new to audio, so there might be something very obvious I'm missing? It's also still not even necessarily "loud" to me yet.

IMG_6958.jpgIMG_6962.jpgIMG_6960.jpg

Apr 15, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #1,091 of 2,857
Full disclosure, I am relatively new to audio, so there might be something very obvious I'm missing? It's also still not even necessarily "loud" to me yet.

IMG_6958.jpgIMG_6962.jpgIMG_6960.jpg

Check the output volume for Tidal as well, please. It’s on the lower right side of the software screen. Turn of the option to adjust sound volume between all songs on the Settings menu in Tidal.

If this doesn’t work, I think your amp is broken.

Apr 15, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #1,092 of 2,857
Check the output volume for Tidal as well, please. It’s on the lower right side of the software screen. Turn of the option to adjust sound volume between all songs on the Settings menu in Tidal.

If this doesn’t work, I think your amp is broken.
Yea, that’s one of the first things I checked. The bar is maxed out at 100, and I also turned off the sound equalization setting.
Also, I have the Hifiman Ananda, and I believe that’s even more efficient than the Aeon 2. But with the Ananda’s, I still get to the same position on high gain at 3 o’clock and it’s not excessively loud?

Apr 15, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #1,093 of 2,857
I see you guys talking about volume such and such using Tidal, do make sure you have Exclusive mode enabled in Tidal as well.
For the record, I listen to my 6XX at about 10:00 on high gain with the Asgard 3/4490 in Tidal. It shouldn't be compared to an Asgard 3 with Bitfrost 2 because there will be a large difference in volume.

Apr 15, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #1,094 of 2,857
Yea, that’s one of the first things I checked. The bar is maxed out at 100, and I also turned off the sound equalization setting.
Also, I have the Hifiman Ananda, and I believe that’s even more efficient than the Aeon 2. But with the Ananda’s, I still get to the same position on high gain at 3 o’clock and it’s not excessively loud?
Oh, and my Asgard never gets warm. Is that abnormal too @HumdrumPenguin ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back