Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Mar 31, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #1,051 of 2,857
I see Joshua Velour has the same idea as I do: taking a tube preamp and pairing it with a good-performing solid-state:

In my case, pairing the tube preamp with an Asgard 3.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #1,052 of 2,857
I see Joshua Velour has the same idea as I do: taking a tube preamp and pairing it with a good-performing solid-state:

These tube pre-amps do practically nothing. At most they have a tone control ....

Just goes to show how much placebo some glowing tubes have as an effect

Mar 31, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #1,053 of 2,857
These tube pre-amps do practically nothing. At most they have a tone control ....

Just goes to show how much placebo some glowing tubes have as an effect
I'll find out when it arrives. Josh doesn't mention that the unit comes with GE 61J tubes, which I've read are kinda dry sounding. I ordered mine with GE JAN 5654W tubes.

Mar 31, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #1,054 of 2,857
I'll find out when it arrives.

it's just that, at this price. all this 'tube amp' can be is a hybrid amp, and so far off the tube side that it's practically solid state

so you're adding a near solid state buffer to your headamp chain, which is fine but serves little to no point! just my 0.50c

I don't think Josh is recommending something super 'smart' here :deadhorse: super cheap tube pre-amp. ugh.

Mar 31, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #1,055 of 2,857
They are also not responding to inquires about stock replenishment
They might be a bit slow with the coronavirus restrictions, but they are responding. If you're in the EU, it might be an overnight kind of response given the time zone. FWIW, I know they are shipping orders as I got my Bifrost 2 from them the day before yesterday.

Mar 31, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #1,056 of 2,857

I use a Schiit Saga+ preamp with the Asgard3/Jotunheim and it actually does change sound signature slightly. The stock tungsol tube doesnt do a whole lot but it does do some small 2nd order harmonic distortion. I purchased a PSVane tube for it and it has a more noticeable warmer effect. The nice thing about the Saga+ is you can disable the tube buffer when you dont want it, as well as having multiple inputs and output to switch to.

Mar 31, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #1,057 of 2,857
it's just that, at this price. all this 'tube amp' can be is a hybrid amp, and so far off the tube side that it's practically solid state

so you're adding a near solid state buffer to your headamp chain, which is fine but serves little to no point! just my 0.50c

I don't think Josh is recommending something super 'smart' here :deadhorse: super cheap tube pre-amp. ugh.

The idea of pairing a tube preamp with a solid state power amp is, of course, decades old in speaker based systems, and it can be very synergistic.

However, adding one to a headphone amp that already contains a preamp (that we can’t bypass) means that we are running the music signal through two preamps, hardly a path to transparency.

Anyway, should be a fun journey; I’m just leaning in the KISS direction I always do.

Mar 31, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #1,058 of 2,857
I use a Schiit Saga+ preamp with the Asgard3/Jotunheim and it actually does change sound signature slightly. The stock tungsol tube doesnt do a whole lot but it does do some small 2nd order harmonic distortion. I purchased a PSVane tube for it and it has a more noticeable warmer effect. The nice thing about the Saga+ is you can disable the tube buffer when you dont want it, as well as having multiple inputs and output to switch to.
You still have the Saga+? I just ordered one :p awaiting delivery
What PSVane tube, exactly?

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #1,059 of 2,857
You still have the Saga+? I just ordered one :p awaiting delivery
What PSVane tube, exactly?

The "cheaper" tube, PSVane UK-6SN7

Apr 1, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #1,060 of 2,857
Hi,

Does someone who has the Asguard 3 also
have the Vali 2?

I have the Asguard 3 and using it with the
he4xx. I don’t have anything to compare it to.
This is my first hpa.

I wanted to try the Vali 2 for tube rolling but I don’t know if I will like the sound.

As with the initial review, I agree 100%. Bad
recordings sound really bad. I guess I would
say the Asguard 3 is neutral across the board.

Apr 1, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #1,061 of 2,857
Hi,

Does someone who has the Asguard 3 also
have the Vali 2?

I have the Asguard 3 and using it with the
he4xx. I don’t have anything to compare it to.
This is my first hpa.

I wanted to try the Vali 2 for tube rolling but I don’t know if I will like the sound.

As with the initial review, I agree 100%. Bad
recordings sound really bad. I guess I would
say the Asguard 3 is neutral across the board.
I watched a video by Joshua Velour, talking about using a tube preamp + solid-state amp as a cheap tube amp. In the video, he discussed which headphones mate well with tubes, and according to his tastes, he doesn't recommend pairing tubes with planars. Kills the detail levels and such.

Apr 1, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #1,062 of 2,857
Just browsed this whole topic (whew!), and appreciate all the info. I'm currently comparing the Monoprice 887 to the current Schiit stack (Magni 3+ and Modi 3), and I was surprised that overall I tend to prefer the sound from the Magni, as it has more snap and precision, better positioning of instruments and indeed, I think clearly stronger dynamics on transients which create that sense of detail. Not to mention a wider soundstage. I find the 887 just a bit muddy in comparison. However, the one thing the 887 has over the Magni is fuller, richer bass; sometimes even head-rattling through my LCD-Xs (the other cans I'm listening with are my HD660S). I'm feeding both with the Modi 3.

Right now I'm thinking of trying the Asgard 3 with the idea that it will be that precise, detailed, dynamic signature I'm liking on the Magni, but with more bass oomph similar to what I like in the 887. I asked Schiit and they said, indeed, I should hear more bass from the Asgard compared to the Magni. But what are your thoughts, especially if you've tried one of the THX amps?

Apr 2, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #1,063 of 2,857
I watched a video by Joshua Velour, talking about using a tube preamp + solid-state amp as a cheap tube amp. In the video, he discussed which headphones mate well with tubes, and according to his tastes, he doesn't recommend pairing tubes with planars. Kills the detail levels and such.

I will stick with the Asguard 3. I would suspect the Vali 2 would have to be turned up quite high to get normal listening levels with the same planars.

Apr 5, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #1,064 of 2,857
after a few weeks i have come to the conclusion that this amp is not a good combination with my DT880's. the amp is waaaaayyyyyy to clinical. coupled with the Mani its not a good combination. i was hoping for a bit more TBH but i suppose if you are using a digital front end and different headphones then it might just be the ticket but otherwise in my system its just plain shiit.

cant wait till the lockdown is over so i can find something else otherwise i'm going to end up throwing this thing at the wall.

Apr 5, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #1,065 of 2,857
after a few weeks i have come to the conclusion that this amp is not a good combination with my DT880's. the amp is waaaaayyyyyy to clinical. coupled with the Mani its not a good combination. i was hoping for a bit more TBH but i suppose if you are using a digital front end and different headphones then it might just be the ticket but otherwise in my system its just plain shiit.

cant wait till the lockdown is over so i can find something else otherwise i'm going to end up throwing this thing at the wall.
lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back