Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #1,021 of 2,863
Glad to hear it. I couldn't find any local dealers to verify, but after more reading (and Currawong's videio review) I decided to take a chance on it and just ordered the Asgard 3 w/ Multibit. Excited to see how this works out as a desktop amplifier for what might turn into a long term working from home quarantine.

No idea when it will ship - I'm sure the Schitt folks are as impacted as I am. Hopefully they are prioritizing their safety over my gear.

I also have not had issues with low-gain with Asgard 3 using several multi-BA iems. None are as sensitive as Andromeda though, but for reference I have used it with Anole VX, Hidition Viento-R, and 64 Audio U12t recently.

Mar 18, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #1,022 of 2,863
I also have not had issues with low-gain with Asgard 3 using several multi-BA iems. None are as sensitive as Andromeda though, but for reference I have used it with Anole VX, Hidition Viento-R, and 64 Audio U12t recently.
Interesting - I've never heard the U12t, but always assumed it would be as sensitive as the Andromeda given that they both share BA-only architectures. Perhaps one of the modification/tuning steps 64 audio takes with their drivers or their crossover design increases the impedance a little?

Mar 18, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #1,023 of 2,863
bit disappointed TBH. while the Asgard 3 is indeed lovely sounding its not got the oomph i was expecting from the figures. its just a loud as my Vali 2 with DT880 600ohm at the same volume placement e.g. 1 o'clock.

sounds a looooot better than the Vali 2 :) better bass, mids highs the whole package is just better.

now if i'm reading things right.. with my DT880 600ohm the Asgard 3 should always be in Class A as its never going to get to 500mw.. correct?

Pink Triangle PT-TOO with OL Onyx arm and "franken" Reson/1042 cart. Schiit Mani.

Mar 20, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #1,025 of 2,863
Does the multibit DAC gives the same smoothness that FPGA approaches like the Chord DACs offer?

It's by far not as detailed as a Mojo. I suppose I could call it "smooth" though. I just shot a Multibit card vs. Bifrost 2 video by popular request:

bit disappointed TBH. while the Asgard 3 is indeed lovely sounding its not got the oomph i was expecting from the figures. its just a loud as my Vali 2 with DT880 600ohm at the same volume placement e.g. 1 o'clock.

I think we tend to feel reassured that the amp we are using has plenty of power when we don't have to turn the volume knob high to get enough sound. Given how volume pots work, you actually want the pot to be around the middle area. It's only the result of the gain settings of the amp that the volume pot is in that position for your headphones. Given that higher impedance headphones need a higher volume to get loud, the 1 o'clock position (vs. a lower one) isn't a surprise.

Wish it had middle gain setting. I get tired in my ears on the high setting.. and low settings is barely enough on 250ohm DT770.

Why are your ears getting tired? How loud are you listening? If it is loud, you most definitely should listen at a quieter volume, as if you damage your hearing, which is very easy to do with headphones, then you cannot recover it.

Mar 20, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #1,026 of 2,863
Why are your ears getting tired? How loud are you listening? If it is loud, you most definitely should listen at a quieter volume, as if you damage your hearing, which is very easy to do with headphones, then you cannot recover it.

Had long listen session last weekend.. think it was like 1am to possible 3am on the volume knob at high gain with 250 ohms DT770.

Mar 20, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #1,027 of 2,863
It's by far not as detailed as a Mojo. I suppose I could call it "smooth" though. I just shot a Multibit card vs. Bifrost 2 video by popular request:
Aw man, part of me wishes I'd seen that video before I ordered a multibit Asgard earlier this week. Thankfully I have the mojo and thus can experiment with using it as an input for the Asgard if the lack of detail bothers me. If I like the Asgard multibit's general sound but find the lack of detail bothersome, I can always add a Bifrost to my wishlist for the next time I'm feeling rich and chain it up to the Asgard.

Thanks for the video - it was very helpful :)

Mar 21, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #1,028 of 2,863
Likely newbie question!
If I purchased the Asgard 3 with the added AK4490 DAC chip, am I essentially now getting a "normal" DAC/amp combo? I ask because I remember reading that Schiit's philosophy has generally been against the entire idea of DAC/amp combos. So I'm wondering if attempting to “turn” the Asgard 3 into a DAC/amp combo would not achieve the same performance as compared to purchasing a DAC/amp combo that was specifically manufactured to be one?

Mar 21, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #1,029 of 2,863
Likely newbie question!
If I purchased the Asgard 3 with the added AK4490 DAC chip, am I essentially now getting a "normal" DAC/amp combo? I ask because I remember reading that Schiit's philosophy has generally been against the entire idea of DAC/amp combos. So I'm wondering if attempting to “turn” the Asgard 3 into a DAC/amp combo would not achieve the same performance as compared to purchasing a DAC/amp combo that was specifically manufactured to be one?

Check out Schiit’s “Guides” on their website where they discuss both combos and separates.

The primary reason for separates is versatility, especially for future upgrades. For example, I may have a very adequate amp, but want more detail, transparency, and extremely realistic instrumental timbre. Feeding my “good” amp with a far more expensive dac is likely to achieve that.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #1,030 of 2,863
Likely newbie question!

They did argue against combos before, but come to think of it, all their combo units still accept line input and can behave as just amps, also the Fulla and Hel if I’m not mistaken. Also, with exception of the cards, they can also give a dac line out, so they can still act as separates (albeit with some extra ballast).

On the card I can add that is very convenient to have everything in one box, and the dac card great and a very enjoyable listen.
However, as @Currawong says in his video above - which also totally reflects my experience with Asgard3+card vs Bifrost2 and indeed also Lyr3+card vs Bifrost2 - the difference between card and Bifrost2 as dac is quite obvious and not subtle at all. I’ll add that in my ears the soundstage also became larger on the Bifrost2. I was quite amazed at the difference, and I would say it was even more noticeable on the Lyr3.

One could argue that the $450-$500 price difference vs card is also not subtle, but definitely worth it IMO :beyersmile:

Mar 22, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #1,031 of 2,863
Bought this to use at home in my home office during our Movement Control Order. Have a McIntosh headphone amplifier but that is in the listening room.
Any thoughts or impressions on this?

Mar 22, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #1,033 of 2,863
They did argue against combos before, but come to think of it, all their combo units still accept line input and can behave as just amps, also the Fulla and Hel if I’m not mistaken. Also, with exception of the cards, they can also give a dac line out, so they can still act as separates (albeit with some extra ballast).

On the card I can add that is very convenient to have everything in one box, and the dac card great and a very enjoyable listen.
However, as @Currawong says in his video above - which also totally reflects my experience with Asgard3+card vs Bifrost2 and indeed also Lyr3+card vs Bifrost2 - the difference between card and Bifrost2 as dac is quite obvious and not subtle at all. I’ll add that in my ears the soundstage also became larger on the Bifrost2. I was quite amazed at the difference, and I would say it was even more noticeable on the Lyr3.

One could argue that the $450-$500 price difference vs card is also not subtle, but definitely worth it IMO :beyersmile:

If I did get the Asgard 3 though, it would be with the AK4490 option, not the multi bit. So I’m more wondering if there’d be a difference between the Asgard 3 + AK4490 chip, and say an Asgard 3 + Modi 3.

Mar 22, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #1,034 of 2,863
If I did get the Asgard 3 though, it would be with the AK4490 option, not the multi bit. So I’m more wondering if there’d be a difference between the Asgard 3 + AK4490 chip, and say an Asgard 3 + Modi 3.

I wouldn’t think there is much difference really, the 4490 card is essentially a Modi on a card, just as the multibit card is essentially a Modi Multibit (same chips, same tech). That said, I think the Modi3 was released later than the card so it may have some small improvements (unless they have trickled down to the card as well).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back