Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Mar 4, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #1,006 of 2,857
Mar 6, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #1,007 of 2,857
This morning I decided to do a listening comparison of my onboard audio (Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi) vs G6 amplifier vs G6 Line-Out to Asgard 3.

Specs of the onboard audio:

SupremeFX S1220 CODEC (Realtek) 120dB SNR Playback, ESS ES9023P DAC
Sonic Studio III software with DTS Sound Abound (this will allow for HRTF stereo of multichannel sources)

Amplification is clean, no hiss. G6 is a little stronger output, both pale vs Asgard 3.

One thing I liked is that you can configure the software to use a different Spatial mix for each app, like setting your music player to "Music" and your video app to "Movie".

The system is an opamp based sound circuit, non-swappable, just like the G6. (too bad on either) Testing of onboard was done in Headphone mode, and software showing it detected my ohm rating and auto adjusted gain to maximum. My listening tests show that the sound output is very similar to the G6, with the same weakness in FR response. It's rather lean on the low mids down, and so instrument timbre is off. If I had to guess, I would say it's the opamp coloring. Soundcards with swappable opamps can offer a solution to this if you swap in some higher quality ones. (X7 for example)

This is where the Preout / Line-Out port on the G6 is wonderful: It's a straight output that isn't colored by audio circuits and components, and allows an external amp to provide a proper presentation. I think motherboards should support pre-outs, unless this is possible by setting output to Speakers vs Headphones.

Mar 6, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #1,008 of 2,857
This morning I decided to do a listening comparison of my onboard audio (Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi) vs G6 amplifier vs G6 Line-Out to Asgard 3.

Specs of the onboard audio:

SupremeFX S1220 CODEC (Realtek) 120dB SNR Playback, ESS ES9023P DAC
Sonic Studio III software with DTS Sound Abound (this will allow for HRTF stereo of multichannel sources)

Amplification is clean, no hiss. G6 is a little stronger output, both pale vs Asgard 3.

One thing I liked is that you can configure the software to use a different Spatial mix for each app, like setting your music player to "Music" and your video app to "Movie".

The system is an opamp based sound circuit, non-swappable, just like the G6. (too bad on either) Testing of onboard was done in Headphone mode, and software showing it detected my ohm rating and auto adjusted gain to maximum. My listening tests show that the sound output is very similar to the G6, with the same weakness in FR response. It's rather lean on the low mids down, and so instrument timbre is off. If I had to guess, I would say it's the opamp coloring. Soundcards with swappable opamps can offer a solution to this if you swap in some higher quality ones. (X7 for example)

This is where the Preout / Line-Out port on the G6 is wonderful: It's a straight output that isn't colored by audio circuits and components, and allows an external amp to provide a proper presentation. I think motherboards should support pre-outs, unless this is possible by setting output to Speakers vs Headphones.
lol
edit: i'm still lol'ing
lol

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #1,010 of 2,857

Pretty sure you can use any mobo as a pre-out by just connecting a 3.5mm cable to one of its outputs.

Mar 8, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #1,011 of 2,857
O/K., finally finished the thread. Whew, took a few days. I don’t have an extensive background with headphones and amps or DACs. My background is a set of older sony MDR-V6 connected to a Walkman CD player 2nd gen (Skip skip skip to my Lou...), Iriver cd player connected to Bose triports,; triports from a little bear tube amp fed by my phone (galaxy s7); Schitt Fulla to triports and later AT 900X; Then Mimby/Modi 3 to AT 900X; same Schiit to AKG 7XX; Add in HD6XX, Add in Eiter; Add in Valhalla 2; Add in HE 4XX: Somewhere along the way changed phone to LG V30+ and LG v 50; Recently added Bottlehead Crack (took me a year to start build and a weekend to finish, eh...); Add in Asgard 3: Add modification to HD6XX (dynamat, remove spider and rear foam and dime sized hole in front foam); Add new HD 6xx to remove mods for Crack; Add in Bifrost MB (not 2) and Asgard 2 (closeout Classic Schiit Stack in black - $449) (did anyone else know its pronounced BIF-roast?, I kept saying BI-frost). So maybe a lot of time (25 years), but nothing above mid-if, and a lotta Schiit.

Impressions On Asgard 3: gotta agree with Xero1, the Asgard 3 is toeing the line on over analytical, but not over the line at all (for me). Mids are very well presented, treble too. Bass is a little anemic, but well controlled. Don’t get me wrong, they are not missing, but to my ear and limited experience (especially considering the comparisons and memory), I wouldn’t say recessed, but less presented, weaker. Very similar to Modi 3, But with better definition and wider and deeper soundstage, with added detaiL and layering. It is mid-centric (to me) and brings out details I have not previously experienced, without being fatiguing. I‘ve listened to this amp for 5+ hours continuously (without intent to do so, just because I can’t stop - mostly on HE 4xx).

My current setups are Bifrost MB feeding: Asgard 3, with HE 4xx; Valhalla 2 with modded HD 6xx; Crack with HD 6xx; Asgard 2 with AKG 7XX (work application with another Bifrost MB. The setups are due to synergy. The headphones I have are matched with the amps I have acquired providing the best sound for me.

The Crack does best with the HD 6XX (650) providing a presentation reminiscent of a small/medium venue. Medium sized soundstage with a reverberation (second order harmonics?) that provides the ambience of a live performance with the correct recording. Bass is pleasantly heavy-ish , with that gooey goodness that a OTL is known for. I tried the modifications to the HD 6xx and did not like it on the Crack. I lost that feeling of being in the middle of a smaller live venue (ie the Showbox in Seattle). The additional treble and openness just killed the vibe. I ordered a new set to fix that.

The modded HD 6xxs work fantastic with the Valhalla 2 (for me). That often spoke of veil was lifted. The holographic soundstage remained ( a sense of the music floating around you, not a linear soundstage per se, but with the right recording and engineering, the instruments and vocals moving in and out with a soundstage that is not limited by physical dimensions). Not a psychedelic experience. Not otherworldly, but eyes closed, enjoying the moment, you feel something you may have not experienced before. A soundstage surrounds you. At least for me (YMMV). The bass, sub-bass and treble were increased to a level not experienced before with the HD 6xx. Detail is not lacking, but is not strong either on the Valhalla (regardless of HPs). Its strength is the soundstage - I can almost feel myself sitting at the piano on You’ve Got to Have Freedom by Pharaoh Sanders while he plays saxophone right over my shoulder. Almost onstage rather than in the audience The other headphones always left something wanting, that holographic soundstage lacked in some ways the 6xx just got right, and the modded 6xxs made it better.

Now the reason I’m here... The Asgard 3 with HE 4xx... Lordy Lordy, I can hear so much more definition and detail. In a playlist I have for headphone judging that I have found to be enjoyable, though not my normal cup of tea, on Paper Trails by Darkside I noticed a distortion and thought something was wrong with my setup. I’ve listened to this several times with other setups, but at about 1:49 the guitar has a distortion (ground or interconnect problem?) that I had never realized before. I had to re-listen with other setups to realize it was always there, just never noticed it before. Could a better amp have revealed it? Probably. But at $200? My other setups didn’t show it to me this noticeably.

After reading some previous reviews the other night I put on some Dire Straights. Wow. Never disliked them, never really felt an surge to listen to them either, but with this setup, 2 + hours of listening and I might do more tonight. The Asgard 3 + HE 4xx provides a level of musicality that probably isn’t properly represented by numerical analysis. There is a cohesiveness to the detail, dynamics, separation, and studio sized (intimate? Head sized?) soundstage that just makes you want to listen longer, more, more more... I would call it almost hyper-real with details being beyond what you could pick up or pick out during a live performance (the Crack+ HD 6xx being a more real/live presentation, and the Valhalla 2 + modded HD 6xx being more surreal). Much closer to (I believe) the engineers intent of the recording (if properly done).

Attempts to listen to Van Halen (an old favorite) on the other amps just never felt as lively as it should. On the Asgard 3 - finally its as enjoyable as it should be. Attack of Eddie’s guitar is strong enough, again without becoming fatiguing. Dave’s enunciation is well presented without any sibilance, breathy when he makes it breathy, raspy when he makes it raspy. Off 5150, I can hear the vibrato in Sammy’s voice like never before. The intro to Hot For Teacher- the toms, kick and cymbal just have the right impact. Soundgarden has never sounded better than on the Asgard (though spoonman is a little dry, some percussion like wood blocks and spoons are too recessed). Chris Cornells vocals are fantastic. The Asgard provides a forward presentation (Like most Schiit I’ve heard), with separation, layering and detail well beyond the Magni 3, and details beyond the other amps listed (though I still haven’t assembled and installed the Speedball in the Crack). In the early parts of Stairway to Heaven, I swear I felt Robert Plant‘s spit on me a couple times. (Never noticed it before, but I‘m thinking what I always thought was a flute is really JPJ on an electric organ - no attack, just .... there.) Am I gushing a little? Yeah I am. If I could only keep one amp and headphone, this combo would be it. (Not that I’m getting rid of the crack, valhalla, or HD6xxs any time soon. Nor will this be the last, but for now,... I’m finally happy.). So, for $350 (plus the cost of whatever feeds it) I have a setup that I can really say I’m finally satisfied with (Until I just have to buy that Unison card).

Now as to feeding... I’ve read a lot of comments here about a dac is a dac is a dac. I dunno. 0s and 1s are just that, 0s and 1s, but we’re talking about music, not a text document or photo. Music relies on timing, so keeping that whole “time domain” thing in order seems like it might be important. I A/Bed the Mimby with and without Eitr about a week ago (waiting on Bifrost) and there was a very noticeable difference in SQ. Without Eitr things were not as detailed, more “smeared”. What does that have to do with Asgard 3? Well maybe nothing, but can someone tell me which USB implementation the dac cards use? Is it Schiit gen 5 or USB 2? The answer could make a difference in someone’s decision concerning card or separate dac.

So there you have it, my long winded and meandering impressions of my new Asgard 3. I hope someone finds it helpful.

Mar 8, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #1,012 of 2,857
Now as to feeding... I’ve read a lot of comments here about a dac is a dac is a dac. I dunno. 0s and 1s are just that, 0s and 1s, but we’re talking about music, not a text document or photo. Music relies on timing, so keeping that whole “time domain” thing in order seems like it might be important. I A/Bed the Mimby with and without Eitr about a week ago (waiting on Bifrost) and there was a very noticeable difference in SQ. Without Eitr things were not as detailed, more “smeared”. What does that have to do with Asgard 3? Well maybe nothing, but can someone tell me which USB implementation the dac cards use? Is it Schiit gen 5 or USB 2? The answer could make a difference in someone’s decision concerning card or separate dac.

I think Jason stated over in the Schiit Happened thread that the cards use gen 2 with some improvements, so something like gen 2.5-ish.

Unison is, of what I’ve read, even better than Eitr.
I don’t have an Eitr to compare though, so I can’t verify that.

Mar 8, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #1,013 of 2,857
O/K., finally finished the thread. Whew, took a few days. I don’t have an extensive background with headphones and amps or DACs. My background is a set of older sony MDR-V6 connected to a Walkman CD player 2nd gen (Skip skip skip to my Lou...), Iriver cd player connected to Bose triports,; triports from a little bear tube amp fed by my phone (galaxy s7); Schitt Fulla to triports and later AT 900X; Then Mimby/Modi 3 to AT 900X; same Schiit to AKG 7XX; Add in HD6XX, Add in Eiter; Add in Valhalla 2; Add in HE 4XX: Somewhere along the way changed phone to LG V30+ and LG v 50; Recently added Bottlehead Crack (took me a year to start build and a weekend to finish, eh...); Add in Asgard 3: Add modification to HD6XX (dynamat, remove spider and rear foam and dime sized hole in front foam); Add new HD 6xx to remove mods for Crack; Add in Bifrost MB (not 2) and Asgard 2 (closeout Classic Schiit Stack in black - $449) (did anyone else know its pronounced BIF-roast?, I kept saying BI-frost). So maybe a lot of time (25 years), but nothing above mid-if, and a lotta Schiit.

Impressions On Asgard 3: gotta agree with Xero1, the Asgard 3 is toeing the line on over analytical, but not over the line at all (for me). Mids are very well presented, treble too. Bass is a little anemic, but well controlled. Don’t get me wrong, they are not missing, but to my ear and limited experience (especially considering the comparisons and memory), I wouldn’t say recessed, but less presented, weaker. Very similar to Modi 3, But with better definition and wider and deeper soundstage, with added detaiL and layering. It is mid-centric (to me) and brings out details I have not previously experienced, without being fatiguing. I‘ve listened to this amp for 5+ hours continuously (without intent to do so, just because I can’t stop - mostly on HE 4xx).

My current setups are Bifrost MB feeding: Asgard 3, with HE 4xx; Valhalla 2 with modded HD 6xx; Crack with HD 6xx; Asgard 2 with AKG 7XX (work application with another Bifrost MB. The setups are due to synergy. The headphones I have are matched with the amps I have acquired providing the best sound for me.

The Crack does best with the HD 6XX (650) providing a presentation reminiscent of a small/medium venue. Medium sized soundstage with a reverberation (second order harmonics?) that provides the ambience of a live performance with the correct recording. Bass is pleasantly heavy-ish , with that gooey goodness that a OTL is known for. I tried the modifications to the HD 6xx and did not like it on the Crack. I lost that feeling of being in the middle of a smaller live venue (ie the Showbox in Seattle). The additional treble and openness just killed the vibe. I ordered a new set to fix that.

The modded HD 6xxs work fantastic with the Valhalla 2 (for me). That often spoke of veil was lifted. The holographic soundstage remained ( a sense of the music floating around you, not a linear soundstage per se, but with the right recording and engineering, the instruments and vocals moving in and out with a soundstage that is not limited by physical dimensions). Not a psychedelic experience. Not otherworldly, but eyes closed, enjoying the moment, you feel something you may have not experienced before. A soundstage surrounds you. At least for me (YMMV). The bass, sub-bass and treble were increased to a level not experienced before with the HD 6xx. Detail is not lacking, but is not strong either on the Valhalla (regardless of HPs). Its strength is the soundstage - I can almost feel myself sitting at the piano on You’ve Got to Have Freedom by Pharaoh Sanders while he plays saxophone right over my shoulder. Almost onstage rather than in the audience The other headphones always left something wanting, that holographic soundstage lacked in some ways the 6xx just got right, and the modded 6xxs made it better.

Now the reason I’m here... The Asgard 3 with HE 4xx... Lordy Lordy, I can hear so much more definition and detail. In a playlist I have for headphone judging that I have found to be enjoyable, though not my normal cup of tea, on Paper Trails by Darkside I noticed a distortion and thought something was wrong with my setup. I’ve listened to this several times with other setups, but at about 1:49 the guitar has a distortion (ground or interconnect problem?) that I had never realized before. I had to re-listen with other setups to realize it was always there, just never noticed it before. Could a better amp have revealed it? Probably. But at $200? My other setups didn’t show it to me this noticeably.

After reading some previous reviews the other night I put on some Dire Straights. Wow. Never disliked them, never really felt an surge to listen to them either, but with this setup, 2 + hours of listening and I might do more tonight. The Asgard 3 + HE 4xx provides a level of musicality that probably isn’t properly represented by numerical analysis. There is a cohesiveness to the detail, dynamics, separation, and studio sized (intimate? Head sized?) soundstage that just makes you want to listen longer, more, more more... I would call it almost hyper-real with details being beyond what you could pick up or pick out during a live performance (the Crack+ HD 6xx being a more real/live presentation, and the Valhalla 2 + modded HD 6xx being more surreal). Much closer to (I believe) the engineers intent of the recording (if properly done).

Attempts to listen to Van Halen (an old favorite) on the other amps just never felt as lively as it should. On the Asgard 3 - finally its as enjoyable as it should be. Attack of Eddie’s guitar is strong enough, again without becoming fatiguing. Dave’s enunciation is well presented without any sibilance, breathy when he makes it breathy, raspy when he makes it raspy. Off 5150, I can hear the vibrato in Sammy’s voice like never before. The intro to Hot For Teacher- the toms, kick and cymbal just have the right impact. Soundgarden has never sounded better than on the Asgard (though spoonman is a little dry, some percussion like wood blocks and spoons are too recessed). Chris Cornells vocals are fantastic. The Asgard provides a forward presentation (Like most Schiit I’ve heard), with separation, layering and detail well beyond the Magni 3, and details beyond the other amps listed (though I still haven’t assembled and installed the Speedball in the Crack). In the early parts of Stairway to Heaven, I swear I felt Robert Plant‘s spit on me a couple times. (Never noticed it before, but I‘m thinking what I always thought was a flute is really JPJ on an electric organ - no attack, just .... there.) Am I gushing a little? Yeah I am. If I could only keep one amp and headphone, this combo would be it. (Not that I’m getting rid of the crack, valhalla, or HD6xxs any time soon. Nor will this be the last, but for now,... I’m finally happy.). So, for $350 (plus the cost of whatever feeds it) I have a setup that I can really say I’m finally satisfied with (Until I just have to buy that Unison card).

So there you have it, my long winded and meandering impressions of my new Asgard 3. I hope someone finds it helpful.
ABout the 6XX mods, I did all the same mods just not the front foam coin mod. Adds way too much treble imo.
So my point is, not necessarily needed to buy a new set, just new foam. Sennheiser earpads also come with this foam.

Mar 12, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #1,014 of 2,857
i ordered this.. can someone explain how it works when you connect powered monitors to the preamp and have headphone equipped.. No sound in headphones when monitors powered? When monitors are connected but off? You get sound in headphone?

Mar 12, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #1,015 of 2,857
i ordered this.. can someone explain how it works when you connect powered monitors to the preamp and have headphone equipped.. No sound in headphones when monitors powered? When monitors are connected but off? You get sound in headphone?

Plugging in headphones mutes the pre-outs. Pre-outs can be left connected all the time.

Mar 12, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #1,016 of 2,857
From page 4 of the manual
5 Headphone Jack. Plug your headphones in here. There ain’t no fancy balanced or fake-balanced connectors on this amp—it delivers full power through a standard 1/4” jack. If you have 1/8” jack headphones, get an adapter.
Note: Plugging in headphones mutes the preamp outputs.

So, no headphones plugged in: Preamp output is live. Headphones plugged in: No preamp output.
It doesn't matter if the powered monitors are on or off or connected or not. Only matters if headphones are plugged in or not.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #1,017 of 2,857
thanks guys

It arrived, hopefully without any corona. It working and its awesome.. ty schiit :wink:

edit: wow they really made my DT770 V shape even more V shaped.. might need another headphone for music now lol..everything sounds better for sure but i have never change volume this much before..a start of iron maiden song you increase volym when hes just singing then when music comes it way higher then before..

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #1,018 of 2,857
I did a little searching and couldn't find any posts - apologies if this has been discussed before. Has anyone tried the Andromeda or other similarly-sensitive IEMs with the Asgard 3 with the multibit DAC option added? Does the Asgard do a good job with super sensitive IEMs, or is it too hot for something like that? The low output impedance gives me hope it could make them sing, but the sheer power it offers also scares me that it would run too hot and high voltage and thus hiss like a mofo.

Does the multibit DAC gives the same smoothness that FPGA approaches like the Chord DACs offer?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #1,019 of 2,857
I did a little searching and couldn't find any posts - apologies if this has been discussed before. Has anyone tried the Andromeda or other similarly-sensitive IEMs with the Asgard 3 with the multibit DAC option added? Does the Asgard do a good job with super sensitive IEMs, or is it too hot for something like that? The low output impedance gives me hope it could make them sing, but the sheer power it offers also scares me that it would run too hot and high voltage and thus hiss like a mofo.

Does the multibit DAC gives the same smoothness that FPGA approaches like the Chord DACs offer?
Using the Asgard 3 in Low Gain should be just fine for sensitive IEMs.

Mar 17, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #1,020 of 2,857
Using the Asgard 3 in Low Gain should be just fine for sensitive IEMs.
Glad to hear it. I couldn't find any local dealers to verify, but after more reading (and Currawong's videio review) I decided to take a chance on it and just ordered the Asgard 3 w/ Multibit. Excited to see how this works out as a desktop amplifier for what might turn into a long term working from home quarantine.

No idea when it will ship - I'm sure the Schitt folks are as impacted as I am. Hopefully they are prioritizing their safety over my gear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back