Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #1,036 of 2,857
This is false though. The add-on boards are miniature versions with obvious differences looking at the PCB boards.

Of course the PCBs are different but they do use the same chips and technology to generate the sound, which is what I meant by “essentially”. The external Modis have more options of course, like S/PDIF and optical inputs, that the card does not. There may be some small sonic advantages as well, thanks to them having their own shielded enclosure and own separate power supply.

Mar 22, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #1,038 of 2,857
Since you have both to compare, you should be telling us!
$200 Asgard vs much more expensive McIntosh.
I just ordered it last night, have not received it yet but in the meantime using this set up below. Might whip out the Utopia and Stellia later.
WhatsApp Image 2020-03-22 at 4.41.18 PM.jpeg

Wanted to ask too if the Asgard 3 is suitable t be used with IEMs?

Mar 22, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #1,039 of 2,857
...Wanted to ask too if the Asgard 3 is suitable t be used with IEMs?...
I just got mine yesterday, but so far I've used it exclusively with IEMs. I'm very much still experimenting and forming opinions, but so far I'm pleased with the results. It's a very clean amp - even on the Andromedas there is no noticeable hiss.

Mar 22, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #1,040 of 2,857
I just got mine yesterday, but so far I've used it exclusively with IEMs. I'm very much still experimenting and forming opinions, but so far I'm pleased with the results. It's a very clean amp - even on the Andromedas there is no noticeable hiss.
Thank you for the feedback. Possible to have some pics of it? Haha excited to have mine but do not know its relative size and if it would be suitable for my room at work

Mar 22, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #1,041 of 2,857
Thank you for the feedback. Possible to have some pics of it? Haha excited to have mine but do not know its relative size and if it would be suitable for my room at work
IMG_0062.jpg
It's not very big - a little smaller than an iPad. It nestles under my iMac nicely.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #1,043 of 2,857
Of course the PCBs are different but they do use the same chips and technology to generate the sound, which is what I meant by “essentially”. The external Modis have more options of course, like S/PDIF and optical inputs, that the card does not. There may be some small sonic advantages as well, thanks to them having their own shielded enclosure and own separate power supply.

Ok, so that’s what I was getting at I think. Even if the AK4490 card is “essentially a Modi 3,” I’ve heard people say that the separate Modi 3 sounded better to them. Which I never understood why since they’re supposed to be “the same” DAC.

Mar 27, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #1,044 of 2,857
Ok, so that’s what I was getting at I think. Even if the AK4490 card is “essentially a Modi 3,” I’ve heard people say that the separate Modi 3 sounded better to them. Which I never understood why since they’re supposed to be “the same” DAC.
A lot more than the chip goes into a DAC. A modular DAC also needs to have an analog output stage, power supply, etc - lots of different little things that can affect the sound that gets sent out. In the case of a modular card vs an external DAC, there's also variables like how the signal path for the internal card gets into the headphone amplification, and if it has the same impedance and other properties as the RCA inputs.

Mar 27, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #1,045 of 2,857
One thing I will about that topic is the using the input rca for a DAC vs the internal DAC - there is a significant volume change. External DAC's with 2V(or even 1.5V) will increase the volume a great deal over the internal card.
Source: I have both and it's readily apparent
I can't say much about the actual sound change, I don't have golden ears.

Mar 29, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #1,048 of 2,857
I decided to order one of these:

TUBE-01 preamp with JAN 5654W tubes

Figured I'd try it to add some tube love to my setup without breaking the bank. This particular dealer offered the upgraded tubes as an option. Amazon dealer wanted $26 for the 5654W tubes alone. :p Probably take a couple of weeks to get here, like my ear tips. From what I've read the 61J tubes that come default are a bit dry sounding, and several reviews state these are much better, so I went with it. I could have gotten a model with Bass/treble adjustment, but I don't know how refined it is. Plus I can still do it on the PC.

Mar 31, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #1,049 of 2,857
So I've been eyeballing the EU website of Schiit for some time now, waiting for both an Asgard and Modi to be on stock at the same time, which seems like to take forever. They are also not responding to inquires about stock replenishment :frowning2: Could be because of the corona crisis supply lines are drying up?

Anyone know of a different way to get Schiit gear in EU/NL?

Mar 31, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #1,050 of 2,857
They are also not responding to inquires about stock replenishment :frowning2: Could be because of the corona crisis supply lines are drying up?

Anyone know of a different way to get Schiit gear in EU/NL?

Did you use their contact form or the e-mail address found at their site? I ordered Saga+ and it arrived today, ordered 20/03 so there was a bit of a turn-over due to corona situation. If stuff is not in stock it will take a while. But they should answer their e-mails about that.. they did answer mine.

I also tried the UK schiit guys but they are not allowed to ship to Benelux, not their 'jurisdiction'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back