Samson SR850 (Superlux OEM) Review: A $50 Budget Champion.
Jul 4, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #256 of 315
Quote:
NIce, the Sammies love tube power!!

Really a pleasure to listen too, also tames those highs but keeping them detailed.

SydDave, how you finding the Clear top RCA's?! I got some golden lions which are fantastic and a Mullard box plate which I'm about to try out.

I'm looking for a new tube amp soon too, been using one I got from Fred_Fred! Are the bravo amps any good?!

regards,

The RCA is very good. I don't have much to compare it to, but I prefer it to the stock tube and the RFT angled getter. The RCA gives a richer, fuller sound (in my opinion).

The Bravo amp gives a more enjoyable sound than the UAE23+ alone, but I haven't heard any other amps so it's hard to recommend it. If I was going to buy a new tube amp I'd probably go for the Indeed G3, as it has headphone protection circuitry.

Jul 11, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #258 of 315
How's the sound leakage on the 850s? If I buy them, I am planning on attaching a ModMic to them. Would I have to get closed headphones in order to not have sound easily leak into the mic?

If they do not provide good enough sound isolation, would the JVC HARX700 be a good alternative?

Jul 15, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #260 of 315
Quote:
LOL, apparently now amazon is showing the sr850 with velour pads as the stock image, when they actually ship with the normal pleather ones.

LMAO, scumbag amazon.

New revision maybe? The SR950, which was released not long ago, uses similar pads. Maybe they changed out the SR850's pads to match

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #262 of 315
The Sammies don't need much juice but I'd pair them up with a good amp for added measure! 

Unamped, they will sound fine as they are already very detailed and warm. I believe an amp helps with the lower frequency come out when they are called for. 

A nice cheap Cmoy will do just fine if you can't afford the pricier amps. 

Lastly these headphones are very revealing to me, use a good source and you'll be fine!

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #263 of 315
Anyone have a pair of the Takstar Hi2050's to compare these to? Whichever headphones I choose will be used primarily for gaming but will be used for music as well. I’m a serious gamer although not very competitive right now. I used to play Counter-Strike competitively but those days are long gone. I do still play FPS’ but not competitively. My other games are generally MOBA’s or RPG’s where a lack of bass is not very beneficial. I’m looking for headphones that are a nice middle ground between competitive and casual gaming (and that can play music well too). I don’t think the AD700’s would really appeal to me but I don’t want super bassy headphones either.

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #264 of 315
I believe I'm going to be purchasing a pair of these bad boys soon and was wondering what would be a good external sound card/DAC to pair with them (will be using them with my laptop). I'd also be willing to get a amp or a DAC+amp if you think an amp would be worth it. I'll be using these primarily for gaming (60%) but also for music (40%). My budget is around $50-75.

Also, what (cheaper) pads would you recommend? I know that the K240 and DT770 pads fit but the only ones that I've been able to find are $30+. I thought I read a while ago that there are some cheaper Chinese ones on Ebay that aren't bad. Could anyone post a link to them? I found some mentioned in this thread but the guy that bought them didn't like how they changed the sound.

I would also love to hear how these stack up against the Takstar Hi2050.

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #267 of 315
I don't feel these need an amp unless you have very very picky/sensitive hearing, they will sound fine out of your onboard sound 95% of the time.

A good cheap soundcard I would recommend is the Xonar DG. It's a noticeable step up from Onboard for not much,

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #268 of 315
I had Samson 850 for a while and just got a Gemini HSR1000 (Takstar Pro80) yesterday.  I think the Takstar  is better.  I used to think Samson is the best headphones under $50, until I got the Takstar.  I have got the Gemini only for 1 day and I already like it more than Samson 850.  From what I heard, it will sound even better after 100 - 200 hours of burn in.  In addition to the sound, the building quality and comfort of Takstar is better. and you can get it at the same price as Samson.  I got the Gemini for $50 including shipping from ebay.  It sees it is $60 on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back