Samson SR850 (Superlux OEM) Review: A $50 Budget Champion.
Apr 18, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #241 of 315
Congratulations SydDave, the Sammies still impress me to this very day and I haven't had the need to part with them!

The sound they produce is absolutely perfect for me and I have never felt inadequate while listening to my music library! They have great bass and stunning mids - highs!

Mine are more than burned in now but I will say they definitely sound more resolving from when first plugged in.

Very cool little setup there my friend! The Sammies will definitely shine with your equipment!
beerchug.gif

Kind regards,

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #243 of 315
Hi,

Thanks for the posts everyone, and an interesting set of headphones there.

My question is would the SR850 be good enough as a reference to equalize and mix a large sound reinforcement system?
I'm asking because soon I'll be assisting more regularly at the FoH and monitoring table at a major concert venue in my city.
I have an idea about parametric and graphic eq settings for that room but I'd like to be helped by a pair of good cans.

Thanks

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #244 of 315
Quote:
Congratulations SydDave, the Sammies still impress me to this very day and I haven't had the need to part with them!

The sound they produce is absolutely perfect for me and I have never felt inadequate while listening to my music library! They have great bass and stunning mids - highs!

Mine are more than burned in now but I will say they definitely sound more resolving from when first plugged in.

Very cool little setup there my friend! The Sammies will definitely shine with your equipment!
beerchug.gif

Kind regards,

Thanks!
beerchug.gif

I bought them as a stopgap for the Soundmagic HP-100s, but they sound so good I don't know if can justify spending the money on the Soundmagics now.. although, I haven't heard them yet so I don't know what I'm missing.. I'd probably have to buy a different amp, too.

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #245 of 315
Samson SR850 are truly amazing headphones at a budget. I have used them everyday at the office for about six months now. I have mated my Samsons with FiiO E6 headphone amp and an android phone. Only the original pads had to go. I replaced them with AKG's K240 velour ones. Much more comfortable and no more sweaty ears.

May 1, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #247 of 315
I just ordered a pair of sr850s, and I am anxiously awaiting them. I will report on my findings, once I get them. What is the best way to burn these guys from everyones experince? 

May 1, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #248 of 315
Great to hear people are still loving the Sammies, I too have enjoyed these to the point my upgrade compulsion disorder has been cured for a long time now.

These headphones are truly superb and I'm glad I came across this thread when I did!

As for burn in, all I did was play tracks which had some bass/treble at a higher volume than usually for a few hours a day. Don't fall in to the trap that these phones will sound different after burn-in, more that they will be well worn in and the frequency in the upper registers will smooth out! Other than that the Sammies are a hardworking headphone and are always up to the task!

Still loving the overall package that I got for $40 Aus!
beerchug.gif

May 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #249 of 315
Quote:
Great to hear people are still loving the Sammies, I too have enjoyed these to the point my upgrade compulsion disorder has been cured for a long time now.

These headphones are truly superb and I'm glad I came across this thread when I did!

As for burn in, all I did was play tracks which had some bass/treble at a higher volume than usually for a few hours a day. Don't fall in to the trap that these phones will sound different after burn-in, more that they will be well worn in and the frequency in the upper registers will smooth out! Other than that the Sammies are a hardworking headphone and are always up to the task!

Still loving the overall package that I got for $40 Aus!
beerchug.gif

Thanks Volly. Mine are supposed to be delivered today, I can't wait. After listening for a few days, I will post my thoughts.

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #251 of 315
Hi Johnny,

My personal experience with sammies are that I never had the urge to change the pads, perhaps just stretching the head band out to ease the pressure (when new) helped abit with comfort. But I never felt the urge to change over, the pleather pads aren't bad at all and give a good seal around the ear!

But good luck anyway, I'd like to hear what you think about them!

regards,

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #252 of 315
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations on this thread. I'm loving the Sammies!

My budget dream-team:

UAE23+ DAC
Bravo V2 Amp (RCA clear-top valve)
SR850 (Velour pads)

I'm also getting to grips with the advanced equaliser add-on for foobar, and experimenting with a 100ohm resistor adapter.

This setup sounds pretty euphoric!

c9695D7.jpg

Nothing much more to add review wise, but they're definitely a cut above everything else I've heard in my limited experienced (RHA CA-200, AKG 450, Yamaha HPH-200, Soundmagic PL30, Vsonic GR02 Bass ed., Monoprice 8320).

That looks like a really great setup for these. I have the SR850 with velours and love the detail and clarity. The soundstage is excellent for games and movies. I find the highs to be fatiguing after extended music listening, though, even when turned down in the equalizer.

What kind of results have you been getting with the 100ohm resistor adapter? I'm thinking about giving one a try to tame the sound a little.

Jun 30, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #253 of 315
NIce, the Sammies love tube power!!

Really a pleasure to listen too, also tames those highs but keeping them detailed.

SydDave, how you finding the Clear top RCA's?! I got some golden lions which are fantastic and a Mullard box plate which I'm about to try out.

I'm looking for a new tube amp soon too, been using one I got from Fred_Fred! Are the bravo amps any good?!

regards,

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #254 of 315
Hi guys, I bought recently these headphones and now I'll go by the ear pads.

Which is better option between these?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KPU4RE/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1O44Z2C3OZAM9

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008XEYT6G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I can buy only on amazon, because I from Venezuela, I found the K240 Replacement ear pads, but I prefer velour instead of leather:

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Cushions-AKG-HSD271-Headphones/dp/B0085O7DG2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1372816606&sr=1-1&keywords=akg+ear+pads

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #255 of 315
Quote:

That looks like a really great setup for these. I have the SR850 with velours and love the detail and clarity. The soundstage is excellent for games and movies. I find the highs to be fatiguing after extended music listening, though, even when turned down in the equalizer.

What kind of results have you been getting with the 100ohm resistor adapter? I'm thinking about giving one a try to tame the sound a little.

Thanks Flux. I think the resistor is taming the highs a little and perhaps bringing out the lower bass a bit. Don't ask me how! It was a recommendation from a few pages back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back