Samson SR850 (Superlux OEM) Review: A $50 Budget Champion.
Dec 21, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #211 of 315
Quote:
I'm sure it's been brought up in here already ,( didn't read the whole thread ) but having the Superlux 662, basically the same shell/pad size, I use the Creative World of Warcraft Soundblaster headset pads and it's a world of difference ( ouch I didn't mean that lame pun but it happened )

Should be able to find them somewhere, very soft.*** But that's pleather, not yet found anything worthy in the velour. The Samson are semi-open (if I recall correctly ) so the pleather will keep your bass levels and the staging should stay more or less the way it is stock , velour should drop the bass levels off a bit and possibly give a bit more of an open sound.  

I'm sure I just told you what you already know though.

That might be good because the Samson feels a LOT like a closed phone for an open phone.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #215 of 315
The headphones sound pretty good, but they do get uncomfortable after a while. Does anyone know if these earpads will fit?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ear-Pad-Pads-Cup-Cups-Cushions-Earpads-for-AKG-K240S-K240M-K271S-Headphone-New-/121024525068?pt=AU_Electronics_Portable_Audio_Accessories&hash=item1c2d9fb30c&_uhb=1#ht_2686wt_906

Thanks

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #216 of 315
Quote:
The headphones sound pretty good, but they do get uncomfortable after a while. Does anyone know if these earpads will fit?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ear-Pad-Pads-Cup-Cups-Cushions-Earpads-for-AKG-K240S-K240M-K271S-Headphone-New-/121024525068?pt=AU_Electronics_Portable_Audio_Accessories&hash=item1c2d9fb30c&_uhb=1#ht_2686wt_906

Thanks

Yeah those will fit. 

Holy. Thought those were pleather but are velvet, only 6? damn I wish my pair hadn't broken or I would have ordered these a long time ago.

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #219 of 315
Can someone help me please?
Which is the best sound card combo with this headphone ? For music and for sometimes gaming
Asus xonar DS, DG, or DX/D1 ?? Or steelseries siberia v2 external sound card? or something else? :)

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #221 of 315
You guys may also want to try the Samson R600. Sam Ash here has them on a listening display. Similarly good audio quality, but it's less deep, less bassy, and much faster/more energetic. The pads aren't as good either. I got it because it doesn't leak as much sound as the 850. So far I just use them straight into my tablet's headphone out with no EQ. Wish I could get them a little louder. AKG 240 Studio was only $60 with free shipping last I saw on amazon. That one is a little more refined, but you definitely need an amp and it also is a bit muddier. Even when I plugged the 240 into the setup I use with my K701(Arcam 73/Heed Canamp), the sound would sort of fall apart when things got too bassy in a song just like when I used them in the tablet. The bass would just overwhelm things. So far I haven't seen much of a point in using the Samson headphones in my home setup when I have a K701. I think the Samson stuff competes with it pretty well. I'd take these Samsons over my Grado stuff, including the RS-1. I should compare them to my 600 ohm DT990 sometime, but I never use that phone. I like the Samson stuff better than a lot of what I've heard at stores and Can Jam, including stuff like the HD800, PS-1, HD650, LCD2, various Denons, AKG 550, and quite a few others. Last I saw on amazon, the Superlux 668 was $32. I probably use the 850 more than the 701 now since I can bring it with me wherever. The 701 definitely has a bit more refinement and a decently bigger soundstage, but I don't miss it a ton when I'm using the 850s. I think the bass could be toned down some, so if the 668 is not as bassy, I may like that better. The 850 and 240 both provide about the same top-notch vocal reproduction that you find in the 701. You get the same big, immersive sound that surrounds you when overdubbed vocals are used like on Bonnie Tyler's Secret Dreams album. Instrument separation is also pretty good with these, falling just shy of the 701. I don't find the 850s to be shrill at all. In fact, they are quite warm no matter what I plug them into.

It's really remarkable that something this cheap can provide such a value. If you don't want to spend thousands buying and fiddling with all sorts of different gear, seems you can have a very good headphone experience with this Samson and Superlux stuff. I plan to get whatever DAP I read about on here that had the same Wolfson dac as my Arcam and line out, plus one of these Fiio amps. Both those items were under $100 each last I checked. As time goes on, I expect to see even more top notch stuff at low prices.

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #222 of 315
Hi,
Could someone tell me how do these differ from the Superlux 668B? Will these leak sound so much that they would bother people at normal listening levels?

More interestingly, how do these two headphones compare to the Shure SRH440's?

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #223 of 315
Quote:
Hi,
Could someone tell me how do these differ from the Superlux 668B? Will these leak sound so much that they would bother people at normal listening levels?

More interestingly, how do these two headphones compare to the Shure SRH440's?

The SR850 and 668b are identical sounding. The only difference is the impedence and design. They will also leak quite a bit of sound. I don't know about the SRH440's though, sorry :*(

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #224 of 315
I'm finding these sound much better with my heed canamp than direct into a tablet or sansa clip zip(or when plugging this into my ibasso P2). The scaling, detail, clary, everything is far superior with the heed. Sorta the same deal with the Samson RH600, which is a little less needy in regard to amping.

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #225 of 315
Well, just got my pair of sr850's today.......
L3000.gif

Been burning in for about 2 hours with some pink noise....just put them on about 10 minutes ago....WooooWa!

$10 buy + $30 postage = Quite Impressed!!!

Listening to some 4 Strings so far OH-SO good...do my ears deceive me???

Will report back soon.....oh yer some pics.....

Back with some first impressions shortly....
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back