Samson SR850 (Superlux OEM) Review: A $50 Budget Champion.
Feb 1, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #181 of 315
Just got the AKG pads in. They're significantly cooler and more comfortable overall than the stock pads. I'll have to do some careful listening to tell if they're changing the sound much/at all, but I might not be able to pick that out until I invest in something better than the onboard audio. Either way, comfort is why I got them and in that regard they're great.

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #182 of 315
Just installed the Audio Technica velour pads. My ears still get very warm and sweat a little, but these pads are much softer and don't have that papery pleather texture, which is nice. Haven't noticed any major difference in sound yet. Certainly worth the $7.90, IMO.

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #183 of 315
got mines yesterday, and im really enjoying them so far. Highs are really bright though, but im hoping it tames down over time. im currently burning them in by just listening to music/playing game on them.

Mar 2, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #185 of 315

Quote:
Is it worth to add 40$ to get Akg Acoustic k-40 or the AD700, or is this good enough for an average person?

I own both the SR850 and the AD700.  I find that the SR850 is too bright for me, even after many hours of burn-in, and I no longer use it.  I find the sound signature of the AD700 much more pleasant. The AD700 is, however, an open can.  It provides almost no isolation and others near you can hear what you play.  I have no experience at all with the AKG k-40.

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #187 of 315
Had mines for a month now, and i love it more and more everyday!
they are indeed bright, but not to bright...but over time it looses some of its brightness.
i listened to music everyday with them, along with playing games on my ps3.
i went back to try my cheap ear buds and they sounded like utter crap, a muddy mess.
i love my samsons SR850! its worth every penny i payed for it.
its my first real can, i'm not sure how much i'm missing out on,
but my music sound FANTASTIC!!

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #191 of 315
thank you for verifying who makes these and what they re equal to ,I knew it when I saw them at the store today !! I got them 34$ CDN  and BTW they absolutely rock !! THESE are my first  hifi headphones I ve bought and I can not be happier ! I ve played with my dads,grandpa s stuff had cheaper sonys coby etc but these are first big ones of my own.I intend to show and tell all I know about them because they sound great ,clear .I found some recording brighter then others but not the phones fault , I already been searching songs and listening to every old rock song i can find and earlier showed my friend these he went did the same for over an hour ,he loves them too and is getting a set tomorrow ! ME I l be contacting my music store tell them to order more!  Next test my amp with the 1/8 plug ,can't wait ,also look into a small HP amp for laptop and ipod  . I find they fit good ,not too heavy for their size and look even better than other I ve seen (love the classic look)  I still can not believe I found these so fast in my city so cheap ,greatest deal ever!! I will buy more HP s from other names to play still ,that is the fun of it all,cheaper than buying speakers and a lot easier getting them by the ol lady :wink:

Aug 20, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #193 of 315
Okay, after a long time, I've decided to give the chance to change stock vinyl pads, and exchange them for AKG K240 Velour pads.

Oh my... what an improvement.
They are MUCH more comfortable. In terms of comfort, this upgrade is A MUST, and I should did it much earlier.

Now to the sound. It has improved a sound. I am still analyzing it, but from overall feeling, I feel it... the sound experience with this velour pads is remarkable better.
I think, the headphones are now more open. The sound is more smooth. The soundstage is little bit bigger. (can be because the AKG earpads are not so shallow as stock ones)  And, to the last, it helped a bass too. Not in quantity. In quantity, basses are same as before. But in quality... they are nicer, than before. I am sure, that what I hear now, is better, than what I've heard before. I had these headphones with stock earpads 4 months, and used them very often, so I've got used to their sound, and for sure, I'm feeling improvement.

Many people waiting to buy these velour pads, because they cost almost as these headphones. But you cannot think this way. For me, headphones costed 25 euro, and velour pads 20 euro.
I am MUCH more content with modified SR850 for 45 euro, than with original one for 25 euro. Comfort do really much, and that smoother sound, and nicer basses, are worth the money.

With stock earpads, I was quite content with headphones, but still...in their sound, something didn't like on them, could not find exactly what. Also there were comfort issue.

But now... I love them. It is worth 45 euro, in every cent spent on them. I would say, with velour pads, they are overall like 75% of HD598.  (if I don't count soundstage, which is remarkable bigger on HD598)

Next step would be to upgrade the headband... it's another weak point of these headphones. Some kind of soft foam would be needed to bottom part of headband.

Aug 20, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #194 of 315
Any thoughts on the SR850 vs the Panasonic RP-HTF600 and/or the Monoprice MP8323?

Everyone claims to be the best budget champion/value/deal and I'm sure you can't go wrong with any but if anyone has any thoughts it'd be appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back