Samson SR850 (Superlux OEM) Review: A $50 Budget Champion.
May 9, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #106 of 315
Going from IEMs to full size can be an issue, but maybe these just aren't for you. Interesting that you find these a bit harsh because from impressions I would have thought the GR07 to be the harsher one.

Still happily enjoying mine though
L3000.gif

May 13, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #109 of 315

[size=x-small]The akg 240 replacement pads can't be found in where i live in 
N it's way too expensive to ship them over
So i did some searching n found the following pads on taobao for very cheap
They are suppose to fit the dt770,880 n GMP phones. But i managed to fit them on the samson tho they are a little smaller compared to the original pads

Some photos on the pad

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8578517957

P1020814.jpg

P1020823.jpg

P1020820.jpg

The velour pads vs original pads

P1020822.jpg

Top - Taobao pads
Left - HD660 pads
Right - original
[/size]

May 13, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #110 of 315

Quote:

They are suppose to fit the dt770,880 n GMP phones. But i managed to fit them on the samson tho they are a little smaller compared to the original pads

Some photos on the pad

P1020814.jpg

P1020823.jpg

P1020820.jpg

P1020822.jpg

Top - Taobao pads
Left - HD660 pads
Right - original
[/size]

Oh hai islubio. You got any extras?

May 19, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #112 of 315
Hey,

Just wondering with your knowledge of the SR850's and the HD 280's if it would be a worthy upgrade to go from the 280's (which I own) to the SR850's.  Since the 280's are the only decent HP that I own, it's hard to get a gauge for whether they are "good" or "bad," but there are lots of people here that seem to rag on them for being inferior.  I'm only somewhat satisfied with them at this point.

I have been considering the Grados SR60i's or the ATH-M50, but at this price point I would be willing to give the 850's a run for their money.

So is it worth it to buy the 850's if I already have a pair of 280's?  

Thanks in advance,
Cheers.

May 19, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #114 of 315
And I might as well throw the superlux hd-668 b in the mix, because I'm also considering them, too!  I wish I could throw them all in a cage fight of sound and see who emerges on top - I would go with that one.

May 20, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #116 of 315

Quote:
Hey,

Just wondering with your knowledge of the SR850's and the HD 280's if it would be a worthy upgrade to go from the 280's (which I own) to the SR850's.  Since the 280's are the only decent HP that I own, it's hard to get a gauge for whether they are "good" or "bad," but there are lots of people here that seem to rag on them for being inferior.  I'm only somewhat satisfied with them at this point.

I have been considering the Grados SR60i's or the ATH-M50, but at this price point I would be willing to give the 850's a run for their money.

So is it worth it to buy the 850's if I already have a pair of 280's?  

Thanks in advance,
Cheers.

I only heard the the HD280s for an hour or 2 a long time ago, but I think the SR850s would be a noticeable upgrade in SQ. The HD280s are good cans, but I think there is better available for their price nowadays. They have a good neutral frequency response but I felt they had nothing particularly stand out about them.

I think the SR850s are on par or even better than the M50s, though they might just be on par and the low price is influencing my opinion. Still I believe they are technically on about the same level, with a bit different sound signatures. The M50s has slightly more recessed mids, and bass which is not as quite as linear. a bit more of a mid-bass hump than the SR850s have. I also found treble on those to be noticeably harsher. 

Do note that for the above description to apply, the SR850s have to be well burned in. 100-300 hours. My Denon D1100s, which have a V-shaped sound signature had more forward mids than my SR850 did out of the box. The SR850 are now very noticeably more forward in the mids. Treble tames and bass gains control. Burn in is pretty important for these imo.

Quote:
Just to add another phone that I have been looking at as an option has been the Denon D1100's.  Any input on these options would be SWEET!  Thanx much.

The D1100 are great, but a totally different sound! What genre's do you listen to the most, and are you looking for a specific sound signature? The D1100s have huge, impactful bass, which barely bleeds into the midrange for the amount of bass it has. At first it seems to roll of at the bottom quite sharply but burn in seemed to help that. Otherwise, I noticed no burn in changes. They have a good soundstage (particularly surprising depth and imaging) for a closed can, especially one with sooo much bass. They are the cans with most bass impact (impact does not always equate to quantity) I've tried yet in a full size besides maybe the XB500. But again, I think once you get used to the bass you'll find the headphone is surprisingly good. If I were a basshead, I would prefer the Denon to the Samson, but as someone who looks for decently impactful bass yet otherwise neutral signature, I prefer the samsons.

Quote:
And I might as well throw the superlux hd-668 b in the mix, because I'm also considering them, too!  I wish I could throw them all in a cage fight of sound and see who emerges on top - I would go with that one.

FWIR(From what I've read), the HD668B are basically comparitively bass-light, more detailed versions of the Samsons. I get the impression soundstage is a bit bigger on those two, but that may be totally wrong. 

Quote:
Or would I get the best quality of sound output for the money by just holding onto my cash and spending it on a nice amp?  Maybe the uDAC-2.

Amps are important, but none of these mentioned cans really need one. I wouldn't worry about cashing out for an amp too much until you start looking in the 200+ range, and I don't vouch for spending more money on your amp than your headphones, at least not at this performance level. However, maybe a source upgrade would be good. What is your source?

May 20, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #117 of 315
Now i have both 668B and SR850 in my hand. First impression is the SR850 is very similar to 668B but has a little more bass and duller, SR850 no burn in yet, 668B has 200 hours burn in.

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #118 of 315
Here are another great earpads: 

AD700's earpads fits perfectly on the SR850. They're seriously 10x more comfortable and sits on my ear without any leaks compared to stock earpads. They're for $3.90, directly from Audio-Technica and shipping is usually $4(US), so that's $7.90 total. You can just slap them on and listen, however some optional modifications can be made to make them sound like the original SR850(the AD700's earpad changes the sound).

Cut off the thin black cloth. I didn't try the pads on with the cloth so you can experiment to see if the sounds changes at all.

No bass? Too anemic? No problem. See those breathing holes behind the earpads? Cover them up. 

Electrical tape works perfectly.

In my opinion, the sound is 95% the same, maybe a bit less bass with a wider soundstage. Enjoy your SR850 with more comfort! 

Jun 5, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #119 of 315

Are that pads comfortable? Do they change the sound?
Quote:

Some photos on the pad

P1020820.jpg

Top - Taobao pads
Left - HD660 pads
Right - original
[/size]

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #120 of 315
I've found another way to refine the sound (taming the high mids 2-4khz and treble). You need a 100 ohm impedance adapter, which you can get here http://cgi.ebay.com/Etymotic-ER4P-ER4S-3-5MM-plug-resistor-adaptor-/270770459022

It has made my SR850 way more enjoyable than before. I used to get fatigues very quickly due to the piercing treble and high mids, but the impedance adapter has really helped. It also increased the bass by a bit(~50Hz to 100Hz)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back