Samson SR850 (Superlux OEM) Review: A $50 Budget Champion.
Apr 26, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #77 of 315
After checking the setting on my soundcard n turning off all effect n setting to headphones. it seems the high are no longer piercing but could also be that the phones have already been burned in for around 15-20 hrs.

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #79 of 315

Quote:
After checking the setting on my soundcard n turning off all effect n setting to headphones. it seems the high are no longer piercing but could also be that the phones have already been burned in for around 15-20 hrs.

From my experience, 15-20 hours of burn-in does nothing. Try 200-300 hours, that's when I started to hear a difference. 

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #80 of 315
You guys are getting me worried with this burn-in talk, haha. Reminds me of my Beyers, which I absolutely loved when I first got them, then cringed in horror as they slowly "burned in" to something I didn't like as much. :p

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #81 of 315
Hehe, it's a misconception with a lot of members that burn in is always a good thing. I've read number of times when it has resulted in producing a less preferable sound for more people.

Still, usually it is positive because the loosening of the drivers just seems to correlate with a more pleasurable sound (I take it as strong anecdotal evidence for the existence of burn-in that barely anyone talks about burn in with Balanced Armature IEMs, when everyone does so for dynamics). The Samson's are one of those headphones that seem to benefit substantially from it.

Apr 27, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #82 of 315
Well, I also really liked the 880s until I actually paired them with an amp that brought out their potential, so it was probably just those headphones. I'm not too worried. Actually, I'm fairly stoked, because after reading the impressions of a lot of people in this thread, I think they are gonna be real comfy for me - I actually found the RX700 to be very comfortable, the RX900 a bit more so, but I found little difference. That was my main concern as I had figured the pads would not be of the same quality as the K240s they look identical to.

Now all I need is either someone to post saying they fit a pair of beyer velours on these with no issues, or someone who can assure me the AKG velours that do fit are just as comfy. I'm not sure I will ever wear a headphone as comfy as the 880 (including cans such as the AD700/AD2000 which are superb as well), and the K701 pads were not as good as them for my head, not by a longshot. Definitely going to buy a pair of velours for these, but if the beyer pads fit I'm going to be veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery happy. :) I know you said earlier that they should fit, so I'm holding out hope.

I also know the velours for the k240 mkII, k271 etc. should be a bit different from the 701 pads, as well. I don't really want to make a thread asking about those differences - can anyone give me a basic impression of those? I know I'm coming off as a very needy person, but $40 for pads is a lot of money for me. :)

As a last gripe, apparently Vancouver WA means Kingston Jamaica to Amazon. Has anyone ever called them about shipping issues? It's going to delay my shipment by a few days and I'm thinking about calling and trying to get them to expedite it for me (I buy probably 2-3k in items from them a year so I'd be inclined to think they might help me)

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #84 of 315
Does anyone know of a good material (some sort of foam?) I could place in the ear pads to help reduce the spike in treble around 7KHz without messing with any of the other frequencies?

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #85 of 315

Quote:
Does anyone know of a good material (some sort of foam?) I could place in the ear pads to help reduce the spike in treble around 7KHz without messing with any of the other frequencies?

I would rather EQ it down than resort to playing around with dampening material as the whole sound will be affected by it while EQing down that particular frequency will have minimal impact on overall frequency response.

Apr 29, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #86 of 315
Quote:
I would rather EQ it down than resort to playing around with dampening material as the whole sound will be affected by it while EQing down that particular frequency will have minimal impact on overall frequency response.

I agree. However, I prefer mods over EQ because the change in sound will be the same with all sources. Not all devices have the same EQ stuff.

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #87 of 315

Quote:
many have tried n confirm that the akg pads do fit n is a lot better then stock pad. some have tried with dt770 pads too but a little hard to fit

Oh, I know the AKG pads will be more comfortable. It's more or less whether the 271 pads that fit this are any softer than the 701 pads that interests me, because if they are similar to the 701 pads, I wouldn't find it worth it to spend almost as much as the headphones themselves. Knowing this information would just save me some money. :p

Apr 30, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #88 of 315
Holy crap magic just happened. I got really bored and decided to take apart my SR850. After fiddling around with it and turning the volume knob on my E9 to more than halfway, and putting it back together.....They sound soooooo good, way better than before. I don't know what the heck happened but they don't sound like what I used to called them(weird/veiled mids). They sound very detailed with great mids and highs. It's either some crazy placebo effect or I must've done something when I opened them up and turning the volume super high.

Apr 30, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #89 of 315
I just got my pair today. So far, I'm extremely impressed. The level of detail these possess is amazing when you consider the pricetag. The stock pads, as I had hoped, are fairly comfortable for me, but I may end up getting the AKG pads just to try them out, as the SQ on these warrant spending $40 for good pads IMO. Though, I've already got a temporary solution for comfort going :)

A couple of things that I've noticed/done already:

- I'm actually liking these MORE than my SR-225 for acoustic rock. While being a bit less shrill, they feel punchy and fun enough that it can somewhat compete with the grados. I would actually say these are bringing out a bit more detail than my grados do! They are just clear, fast and punchy to my ears. Now, in heavier stuff, such as Amon Amarth or, in an example more people might have heard, Damage Inc. by Metallica, the grados seem to be just a bit better, but not by enough to warrant the price difference. These are, quite simply, very good for rock.

- After about 3 hours of use, I went into my garage and noticed I had my broken RX900 still in there. I took the pads off to do some testing, removing the foam inserts that came standard with the sr850 and just using the cover on the RX900 pads. They are a bit snug, but they fit, and once you get them on, they aren't going to come off unless you really, really want to get them off. They sound even a little better than with the stock pads to my ears, and are definitely more comfortable. Might be a great solution for anyone here that have a pair of RX900 and want to try these.

As for how the RX900 pads changed the sound, vocals seem a bit more clear. Listening to Alice in Chains, I can really hear the intricacies in Layne's voice now - while I could before, it's definitely more detailed in that regard. Bass impact is increased ever so slightly, but seems just a tad clearer as well, I would say I traded up for a very small amount of higher quantity and ever so slightly higher quality. The mids, though, are much sweeter to my ears than with the stock pads, to the point that I've already chucked those vinyl pads - very detailed, not nearly as recessed as they were (keep in mind I'm only 4 hours into use, so they definitely are not burned in yet). I think I may have found my perfect sound signature.

I'm also just powering these out of a sound card, so I'm very curious what a bit more power could do for them.

Apr 30, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #90 of 315

Quote:
I just got my pair today. So far, I'm extremely impressed. The level of detail these possess is amazing when you consider the pricetag. The stock pads, as I had hoped, are fairly comfortable for me, but I may end up getting the AKG pads just to try them out, as the SQ on these warrant spending $40 for good pads IMO. Though, I've already got a temporary solution for comfort going :)

A couple of things that I've noticed/done already:

- I'm actually liking these MORE than my SR-225 for acoustic rock. While being a bit less shrill, they feel punchy and fun enough that it can somewhat compete with the grados. I would actually say these are bringing out a bit more detail than my grados do! They are just clear, fast and punchy to my ears. Now, in heavier stuff, such as Amon Amarth or, in an example more people might have heard, Damage Inc. by Metallica, the grados seem to be just a bit better, but not by enough to warrant the price difference. These are, quite simply, very good for rock.

- After about 3 hours of use, I went into my garage and noticed I had my broken RX900 still in there. I took the pads off to do some testing, removing the foam inserts that came standard with the sr850 and just using the cover on the RX900 pads. They are a bit snug, but they fit, and once you get them on, they aren't going to come off unless you really, really want to get them off. They sound even a little better than with the stock pads to my ears, and are definitely more comfortable. Might be a great solution for anyone here that have a pair of RX900 and want to try these.

As for how the RX900 pads changed the sound, vocals seem a bit more clear. Listening to Alice in Chains, I can really hear the intricacies in Layne's voice now - while I could before, it's definitely more detailed in that regard. Bass impact is increased ever so slightly, but seems just a tad clearer as well, I would say I traded up for a very small amount of higher quantity and ever so slightly higher quality. The mids, though, are much sweeter to my ears than with the stock pads, to the point that I've already chucked those vinyl pads - very detailed, not nearly as recessed as they were (keep in mind I'm only 4 hours into use, so they definitely are not burned in yet). I think I may have found my perfect sound signature.

I'm also just powering these out of a sound card, so I'm very curious what a bit more power could do for them.

Very interesting about the RX900 pads! I didn't think they could fit for some reason. I might try using my RX700 pads on them, and perhaps sticking some foam under the pads to increase comfort as the RX700 pads arent nearly as fluffy as the RX900 ones. Glad to hear you are impressed; they are such a great value.

EDIT: Oh! Mr. Beastly Man sir, I just noticed you own a K70X, which I am considering buying. Do you think you can compare the sound of the K701 and the Samson when you get the opportunity, so I may have a clearer idea of what I'm getting into? Perhaps after the Samson's have burned in, since like the K70X, most seem to agree a good deal of burn-in helps a lot. I understand they are likely very different headphones with different requirements, but it would help know what to expect. Particularly am interested in soundstage differences, bass quality/quantity/distribution/extension, and treble stuffies, although anything else would be nice too. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Holy crap magic just happened. I got really bored and decided to take apart my SR850. After fiddling around with it and turning the volume knob on my E9 to more than halfway, and putting it back together.....They sound soooooo good, way better than before. I don't know what the heck happened but they don't sound like what I used to called them(weird/veiled mids). They sound very detailed with great mids and highs. It's either some crazy placebo effect or I must've done something when I opened them up and turning the volume super high.

Oh snap! haha glad to hear that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back