Sabaj D5: the DAC that is unquestionably a digital to analog converter
Dec 1, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #182 of 298
Can you do a comparison? I'd be interested as I always enjoyed the DX7S.

And I'm totally not trying to find an excuse to get new gear or anything.
Unfortunately, I sold my DX7s already.
I am in the middle of comparing Burson Audio Playmate and DX7s as part of my review of Playmate,
and someone paid to buy DX7s, so I must ship it out yesterday.
And today, I got Sabaj D5 in, so I will continue my comparison with Sabaj D5.
For what it's worth, Playmate performs better than DX7s in my review (on going),
specifically on headphone out.

Dec 1, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #183 of 298
I think I should clarify something I said about DX7s above.
1. it is my own opinion, and I don't mean DX7s is bad.
2. the amp comparison is for SE, as Playmate has only SE output.
3. Playmate's amp is really good, it beats my SP200 THX-AAA-888
in a quick & short comparison,...
(this makes me feel bad, as I just got SP200 two weeks, so I will
have to re-do it again.)

Dec 2, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #184 of 298
Hi, I got a problem with my D5 yesterday. Didn't play DSD files anymore via "DSD over PCM Standard 1.1" in Audirvana (Mac). Changed to Native DSD Compatibility: "None: Conversion to PCM" and it works again.
No Audio Output, only a loud click…
Resetting the DAC helped (pulled the power cord, connect it while pressing button on front)… Firmware 1.4.
Did anyone also notice this or a similar error?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #185 of 298
When I tried to play a DSD512 music from foobar, it failed saying that the frequency 114... is not supported?
Any idea if it can play DSD512 or not as it claim?

Dec 2, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #186 of 298
When I tried to play a DSD512 music from foobar, it failed saying that the frequency 114... is not supported?
Any idea if it can play DSD512 or not as it claim?
You're trying to play DSD512 over DoP instead of native. It is your configuration at fault, not the device.

Dec 2, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #188 of 298
I think I set it up for native, because playing other DSD, the screen display DSD and right frequency,
Isn't that native?
Not necessarily. DoP encapsulates the DSD within PCM. It requires double the transfer rate. DSD128 over DoP will require DSD256 bandwidth. DSD512 over DoP will ask DSD1024 connection to your DAC, which is not supported.

I recommend this tutorial for native DSD
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.co...-part-3-new-experimental-sacd-plugin-v-0-9-x/
follow the exact version number of every program except foobar. the version matters.

Dec 2, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #189 of 298
Not necessarily. DoP encapsulates the DSD within PCM. It requires double the transfer rate. DSD128 over DoP will require DSD256 bandwidth. DSD512 over DoP will ask DSD1024 connection to your DAC, which is not supported.

I recommend this tutorial for native DSD
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.co...-part-3-new-experimental-sacd-plugin-v-0-9-x/
follow the exact version number of every program except foobar. the version matters.
@Baten, thanks for the information. I am totally not aware of that, Will try it out.

Dec 4, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #191 of 298
I think I should clarify something I said about DX7s above.
1. it is my own opinion, and I don't mean DX7s is bad.
2. the amp comparison is for SE, as Playmate has only SE output.
3. Playmate's amp is really good, it beats my SP200 THX-AAA-888
in a quick & short comparison,...
(this makes me feel bad, as I just got SP200 two weeks, so I will
have to re-do it again.)

really curios to read you're review, i did ordered a D5 5 days ago on aliexpress from Sabaj Store, they couldn't post the unit so far...curios if i put my hands on how will perform ?! feel sorry at this stage didn't buy a burson playmate....

Dec 9, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #192 of 298
My experience – fast and good support via Sabaj / amazon.eu. The D5 has a wide soundstage, very natural sounding, on par with the RME ADI-2 DAC (only output via XLR). I really prefer it over my old Yulong DA8 (ES9018 Pro). Tested with Questyle CMA800R Golden Dual Mono and HD800S (standard cable).

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #193 of 298
Have played foorbar2000 setup for D5, I use method 3 and output all PCM into DSD native mode.
By far, this is the DAC that I can successfully do all in native DSD mode.
Fail on Burson playmate which ES9038Q2M, and newer xmos driver, but somehow I just cannot get it
to work in DSD mode.

I can use method 4, to setup for my LKS DA-003 to play DSD512, but its driver doesn't show play mode though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back