1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sabaj D5: the DAC that is unquestionably a digital to analog converter

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by Dadbeh, Apr 6, 2019.
First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
  1. Delmetrice
    Can you do a comparison? I'd be interested as I always enjoyed the DX7S.

And I'm totally not trying to find an excuse to get new gear or anything.

2. gto88
    Unfortunately, I sold my DX7s already.
    I am in the middle of comparing Burson Audio Playmate and DX7s as part of my review of Playmate,
    and someone paid to buy DX7s, so I must ship it out yesterday.
    And today, I got Sabaj D5 in, so I will continue my comparison with Sabaj D5.
    For what it's worth, Playmate performs better than DX7s in my review (on going),
    specifically on headphone out.

3. gto88
    I think I should clarify something I said about DX7s above.
    1. it is my own opinion, and I don't mean DX7s is bad.
    2. the amp comparison is for SE, as Playmate has only SE output.
    3. Playmate's amp is really good, it beats my SP200 THX-AAA-888
    in a quick & short comparison,...
    (this makes me feel bad, as I just got SP200 two weeks, so I will
    have to re-do it again.)

4. relevate
    Hi, I got a problem with my D5 yesterday. Didn't play DSD files anymore via "DSD over PCM Standard 1.1" in Audirvana (Mac). Changed to Native DSD Compatibility: "None: Conversion to PCM" and it works again.
    No Audio Output, only a loud click…
    Resetting the DAC helped (pulled the power cord, connect it while pressing button on front)… Firmware 1.4.
    Did anyone also notice this or a similar error?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 8:23 AM
  5. gto88
    When I tried to play a DSD512 music from foobar, it failed saying that the frequency 114... is not supported?
    Any idea if it can play DSD512 or not as it claim?

6. Baten
    You're trying to play DSD512 over DoP instead of native. It is your configuration at fault, not the device.

7. gto88
    I think I set it up for native, because playing other DSD, the screen display DSD and right frequency,
    Isn't that native?

8. Baten
    Not necessarily. DoP encapsulates the DSD within PCM. It requires double the transfer rate. DSD128 over DoP will require DSD256 bandwidth. DSD512 over DoP will ask DSD1024 connection to your DAC, which is not supported.

I recommend this tutorial for native DSD
    https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.co...-part-3-new-experimental-sacd-plugin-v-0-9-x/
    follow the exact version number of every program except foobar. the version matters.

HungryPanda likes this.
  9. gto88
    @Baten, thanks for the information. I am totally not aware of that, Will try it out.

Baten likes this.
  10. gto88
    @Baten , I really appreciate your pointing out my problem.
    After following the instruction with method 2, I get DSD mode native DSD playback now and it plays DSD512:darthsmile:, thank you and thank you again.

11. grig
    really curios to read you're review, i did ordered a D5 5 days ago on aliexpress from Sabaj Store, they couldn't post the unit so far...curios if i put my hands on how will perform ?! feel sorry at this stage didn't buy a burson playmate....

First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12