s:flo2 or Sansa Clip + ??
Oct 27, 2010 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

danielghofrani

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there everybody
a while ago I posted a thread and asked about a portable music player which delivers the best sound for my budget (around 500$)
almost everybody agreed that I should buy a sansa clip+ and rockbox it.
I was almost ready to get one but now I am reading these reviews saying that s:flo2 has the best sound for under 500$. so please tell me what is going on.
oh by the way I have read the threads about sound quality of DAPs but I am posting this because I am confused.
I obviously do not have the money to buy a Hifiman HM-801
please note that audio quality is my main qualification.(pretty much nothing else matters)

Oct 28, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 14
Yep what headphones/IEMs are you using? Because if they are sub $100 (even sub $200) you're much better off spending that $500 on new 'phones and getting a cheap DAP.
The s:flo2 is a great bang for buck audio product but it has it's downsides... as do most players. Make sure you do your homework and make sure that you are aware of any possibly downfalls of Chinese players such as the s:flo2/T51.

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 14
agree with everyone is saying

FWIR, a lot of people do like the SFlo's sound quality, particularly it's line-out... but you'd need an amp for that. Also, I've read that the UI is quite terrible. I used to think SQ had priority to UI, but I realize that a bad UI can detract so much from the experience where you can't enjoy the music.

IMO given a certain budget I'd say you're money is better spent on the Clip+ and invest the rest into a good headphone. The good thing about Rockbox is that you can EQ to the sound signature you like. Not to mention a 4gb Clip+ can be purchased for as low as ~$30 new, and cheaper used.

Oct 28, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 14
Two very different flavours, the Clip+ is ultra portable while the S:flo2 is a fairly hefty beast in comparision. if you plan on upgrading in the future then the S:flo2 is future proof in that it has a line-out so you can always add an amp at a later date.

SQ wise the Clip+ is very smooth and does nothing wrong, while the S:flo2 is far more analytical and will let you hear all your music but demands better quality rips.

Oct 28, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #6 of 14
Consider updating your OP to contain the headphones you will be using and the bitrates/formats you will be playing. This will give us more to ruminate.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 14
The idea is that I have a lot of flac classical music and I want to listen to them. basically I like to be able to hear all the instrumental parts clearly (like being in the concert hall). I am waiting for boxing day so electronics are cheaper but I think I will buy fischer audio eterna to start with. I gave a listen to my friends sony extra bass headphones and I did not like it. I like natural lifelike sound and I like a broad soundstage and good stereo seperation.

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #9 of 14
You want the S:Flo2. I have a Sansa Fuze which is like a clip but a little bigger, and the S:Flo2 wounds so much better. It is on the big side, the battery life is about 7-8 hours, and you have to make folders on the player and put your music in them, but it is worth it. Most IEMs buzz when you navigate around the player with the screen on too. This can be remedied by setting the screen to turn off in six seconds. However, it has a HUGE soundstage the Fuze cannot even come close to. Classical sounds great on it, especially in FLAC. It is so much more fun to listen to than the Fuze.

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
You want the S:Flo2. I have a Sansa Fuze which is like a clip but a little bigger, and the S:Flo2 wounds so much better. It is on the big side, the battery life is about 7-8 hours, and you have to make folders on the player and put your music in them, but it is worth it. Most IEMs buzz when you navigate around the player with the screen on too. This can be remedied by setting the screen to turn off in six seconds. However, it has a HUGE soundstage the Fuze cannot even come close to. Classical sounds great on it, especially in FLAC. It is so much more fun to listen to than the Fuze.

Thanks a lot. I will probably go with the S:Flo2 then. by the way, what IEMs are you using?

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #11 of 14
I used to have the Yuin PK1 earbuds, and the soundstage was very good on those. Other than that, I have been using some cheap ultimate ears metrofi 150s or the stock sansa earbuds. Still, they are both much better on the S:Flo2. The headphones i have used are better on the S:Flo2 as well.

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
I used to have the Yuin PK1 earbuds, and the soundstage was very good on those. Other than that, I have been using some cheap ultimate ears metrofi 150s or the stock sansa earbuds. Still, they are both much better on the S:Flo2. The headphones i have used are better on the S:Flo2 as well.

Oh nice, but the Yuin PK1s have a crazy high impedence (150 ohms?!!). do you use an amp when you use it with the S:Flo2 ?

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #13 of 14
I don't have the PK1s anymore. I have never had an amp do far, but I hope to get one. They worked pretty well with the S:Flo2, but they could have used a lot more juice. When I hooked them up to my receiver/CD player, they definitely improved, with more bass and overall better sound.

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #14 of 14
One of the things about the s:flo2 is the power it has. Have you read Clieos review?
I bought the as-charm which is also at 150 ohm, so I am thinking about the s:flo2 as I wouldn't be caring an amp around.

Quote:
Oh nice, but the Yuin PK1s have a crazy high impedence (150 ohms?!!). do you use an amp when you use it with the S:Flo2 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back