S:flo2 impressions thread
Oct 20, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #3,421 of 3,682

Quote:
That is absolutely 180 degrees away from everything I have read on the 801. I'm not going to post links - am supposed to be working, fwiw - but every single review points to the 801 as being head-and-shoulders above both 60* players in SQ, with a warm, analog signature. If that isnt the case, then you can draw a line straight through it for me. 

I could be wrong but from what I've read the 801 is more aggressive than its siblings. I'll have to search more on it to be sure. BTW do any of you own an iPhone 4. My keypad seems a bit laggy. Not sure if it's because I type fast but it's been a problem for a while. It may be time to use my square trade warranty :)

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #3,422 of 3,682

Quote:
My Hifiman is the 601 not the 801 :wink:. $259.00 from headroom. From what I've heard the 801 is more along the lines of digital sounding than smooth and laid back. Its more in your face and bright. I'm not sure about it though with the balanced amp.

S:flo2 will be an example of digital sounding. HM801 is far from it, nor is it in-your-face or bright. It is however not quite as laid back as the HM60x series, though still far from what I will refer as being aggressive.

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #3,423 of 3,682

Quote:
S:flo2 will be an example of digital sounding. HM801 is far from it, nor is it in-your-face or bright. It is however not quite as laid back as the HM60x series, though still far from what I will refer as being aggressive.

AH HA ! Like every keyboard warrior on the internet, I crave v-i-n-d-i-c-a-t-i-o-n !  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #3,424 of 3,682

Quote:
Just a small feedback on the Sflo2 > Fiio L8 > Stepdance > DBA-02 combo I upgraded to recently and I must say the combo sounds amazing, but it also made me realize that the sound quality of some of my flacs are pretty bad.  I'm only listening to flacs and they all sound pretty good with the HO from the Sflo2 until I tried it with the amp.  The ones with a good recording/rip sounds amazing, but some of them are truly horrible.  It is usually in the treble region where it sounds like its crackling/static, which I think may also be caused by the DBA-02 being a bit too bright.

Can't really blame phones for recording issues.  You're going to have to pick between phones and sources that tear into the mastering or use less resolving gear so your entire music catalog sounds 'acceptable'.  You're not going to get both.

Oct 21, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #3,425 of 3,682

Quote:
Just a small feedback on the Sflo2 > Fiio L8 > Stepdance > DBA-02 combo I upgraded to recently and I must say the combo sounds amazing, but it also made me realize that the sound quality of some of my flacs are pretty bad.  I'm only listening to flacs and they all sound pretty good with the HO from the Sflo2 until I tried it with the amp.  The ones with a good recording/rip sounds amazing, but some of them are truly horrible.  It is usually in the treble region where it sounds like its crackling/static, which I think may also be caused by the DBA-02 being a bit too bright.

I have noticed this *exact* same thing with only a few of my .flac sets, some of which I have encoded myself from CD's I own (via dbpoweramp) ... it's like there is an almost mechanical quality to the high frequencies ... totally not right ... and it befuddles me. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the S:flo 2 or not but I've sort of thought it might be as I've re encoded the same files in .MP3 and it sounds just fine. In fact, as I recall (and I'll test this soon)...I've even taken the problem .flacs and converted them down to 320k mp3 and they played fine and without the unnatural, mechanical tinge to the highs...which indicates either of two things: a problem with my initial .flac encoding/encoder or, oddly, a problem the S:flo 2's .FLAC decoder has with those particular .flacs.

Baffling.

Otherwise, just about all .FLACs sound just fine. Very strange and really not much of an issue as it's just a few instances. 

Anyway ... wanted to comment as I've certainly heard the same thing and I honestly don't think it has anything to do with the initial CD master as it sounds fine when played from CD.

Rock.

.j

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #3,426 of 3,682

Originally Posted by lc0756 

Pictures mate??? of the rig of course!

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #3,427 of 3,682
Oct 25, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #3,428 of 3,682
Thanks , really nice job!
what case you use for portability? 

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #3,429 of 3,682

Quote:

I used an iphone rubber case that Square trade gave to me for purchasing a warranty for my iphone 4. It really fitted the Sflo2 pretty good and worked as a cushion between the Sflo2 and my UHA4 amp as I always used them on the go and it was still very portable IMO. I also used a screen protector on the front of the Sflo2 so she was protected on both sides. I never really used my leather Sflo2 cases as it was a PITA to constantly take the Sflo2 out and put it back in the case, especially with an amp attached.

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #3,430 of 3,682
I will soon be receiving my T51, I got cmoy 2.03,P2AV2, Fiio E7 and TTVJ slim. I think the T51 will be perfect with the TTVJ and Beyer. 1350. please is there a shopping link to your case or other better option
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #3,431 of 3,682

Quote:
I will soon be receiving my T51, I got cmoy 2.03,P2AV2, Fiio E7 and TTVJ slim. I think the T51 will be perfect with the TTVJ and Beyer. 1350. please is there a shopping link to your case or other better option
bigsmile_face.gif

I think it will pair nicely with the Slim as you said. Its a warm tube-like amp and the Sflo2 is a very digital treble-centric player so that should bring balance. Happy listening!
gs1000.gif

Oct 25, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #3,432 of 3,682

Quote:

I've used one of the S:flo 2 leather cases. Zero scratches on the glass but the back side is pretty busted up from setting the player (sans case) on hard surfaces. Case works perfect for me though as my listening routine is pretty much set it and forget it on "all tracks / random play" ...

Best

.j

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #3,435 of 3,682

Users who are viewing this thread

Back