RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Dec 17, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #376 of 1,194

Quote:
I went from stock single ended to TWag balanced with my JH13 and Protector in one go so don't know which part did what but there was certainly clear improvements

It was most certainly a combination of both.  Even from stock S/E to TWag S/E the improvements are quite significant and get even better gradually as the cable is burned in.  Using them from higher resolution amps/sources just widen the gap between the two.  I would go as far as saying that the TWag adds an addictive quality to the music that grows on you over time and you only realize it when you switch back to the stock after a couple of hundred hours of listening time and the same tracks just sound "dull" in comparison.

Anyway, maybe it's just me, but I use that wire wherever I can, despite the higher cost than most aftermarket cables.

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #377 of 1,194
I don't think cables make a difference.  Do a search and you'll see there are differing opinions on this issue with no resolution either way.  My personal opinion is that your money is better spent elsewhere.

Quote:
 Also, I don't know if I should ask this here but do the interconnect cables make that much of a sonic difference? 

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #378 of 1,194
Your money can USUALLY be spent elsewhere for more improvement, but at a point it pays off. As Warp said, the better your components are, the bigger the improvement. A JH16 and the SR-71B are some of the best components out there, and you get the benefit of going balanced with the cable. In my opinion, it would definitely be worth it.

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #380 of 1,194
The debate could go on and on, but enough honest people hear a difference and I have no reason to doubt them. From what I've read, headphone cables are a worthy upgrade that makes things sound better. If you can't hear a difference, don't buy it. We should get back to the SR71B and debate the the wire controversy somewhere else.

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #381 of 1,194
I have no interest in "debating" this issue--that's colossal waste of time, as are most "debates" on this site.  My responses are for the benefit of the member who asked the question, and who should be aware that there are very different opinions on this issue before spending his or her hard-earned cash.

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #383 of 1,194
Just a note on the HRT DAC if you intend to use it portably--HRT DACs tend to want to be powered by self-powered USB hubs.  So unless your 'puter puts out sufficient power through its USB ports, the HRT DACs can be an iffy proposition as truly portable sources.  A good resource here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/HRT-Music-Streamer-II-issue

Of course, if you want to just go transportable (i.e., use a powered USB hub), then it should work well.  Also, I guess it's possible that HRT could try to address the issue via firmware, though I'm not sure if that's possible.

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #385 of 1,194

Quote:
Sorry if i started an unnecessary debate. I preorder the sr-71B after all the rave reviews it has been given on here. I decided to chose this over the alo MKII. 

Good to know. If I had the money, I would be all over it. It is much better than the ALO RX MKII for a number of reasons.

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #386 of 1,194
Has anyone from Australia ordered one ?  The Protector and SR-71B have stopped me from getting a desktop balanced amplifier for now.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #387 of 1,194
whats a good desktop balanced source for the sr-71b?

im thinking i'll used single ended from my mp3 player-> sr-71b via mini to mini and sr-71b to iem via balanced cable and fully balanced (balanced source to balanced amp) when im home.

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #388 of 1,194

Quote:

im thinking i'll used single ended from my mp3 player-> sr-71b via mini to mini and sr-71b to iem via balanced cable and fully balanced (balanced source to balanced amp) when im home.

You didn't specify budget.  I'm going to be using an Apogee mini-DAC myself ($700-900 depending on optional firewire or not).  For about half the cost you could get a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic, and for about half that an EMU-0404.

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #389 of 1,194
Been reading the forum for a while and finally decided to make some purchase. But the hard earn money has to be well spent, so I guess this is the best thread for me to get some opinions.

My desire setup: ipod Classic 6G --> RSA Mil spec LOD cable --> RSA SR-71B --> Whiplash Elite TWag balanced --> JH 16 Pro

your views? 

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #390 of 1,194
my budget would be up to 1,500$. how would you get balanced to rsa protector cables? Would the da11 make a better choice? i'll be connected by laptop via spdif coax to the dac.

Quote:
Quote:

You didn't specify budget.  I'm going to be using an Apogee mini-DAC myself ($700-900 depending on optional firewire or not).  For about half the cost you could get a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic, and for about half that an EMU-0404.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back