RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Dec 15, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #346 of 1,194

Quote:
Balanced output is of considerably higher voltage than SE, even from the same source having both types of outputs.

This affects the sound coming from the amp.

Right - the question is about the output of the source, not the amp.  The SR71B uses a phase splitter to take the single ended input and run it through the amp balanced.  Either of its inputs use the entire amp, and can feed the balanced output.  But a balanced source is very likely to be stronger than a SE one.  The only practical implication of this will be what is the maximum amount the amp will be able to amplify the lower voltage input. 

I'm hoping to try the SR-71B's SE input later today.

Dec 15, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #347 of 1,194
Thanks for the early impressions, Skylab.  Can you tell us what you think of the 71b with your Edition 8s and LCD-2?  If they're not balanced, that's fine--I'm curious about the 71b's single-ended amp too.

Any initial thoughts on how the 71b compares to the Protector would also be appreciated.  Hoping to have as much info. as possible before I have to take the pre-order plunge
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 15, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #348 of 1,194

Quote:
I'd like to chime in about the HE-6/SR-71B discussion, so apologies if this is a bit off topic. And I'm coming from owning a HE-5 and an iBasso PB1, so please take it for what it's worth to you. My history of the HE-5 has been nothing short of love hate, hate because I had the most difficult time amping it properly (bass would clip on my once owned Purity Audio KICAS Caliente), and when it was amped properly (when I owned the EF-5), it still had a tad too much treble energy for my tastes. Well, I've been trying to part with my HE-5, but no bites. I knew I wanted a balanced amplifier someday when people described how it made the soundstage sound more three dimensional, and lo and behold here comes both Ray's Protector and iBasso's Toucan. I settled for the Toucan, and just to entertain myself I reterminated my HE-5 with a Hirose balanced plug. I'm not one for snake oil claims and your stereotypical "it changed everything" babble, but I was very very very very impressed when I heard the HE-5 balanced on the PB1. It was able to adequately drive the HE-5s, and not only were they dynamic, but for the first time the soundstage and imaging sounded coherent (which was an issue for me when the HE-5 was single-ended) The word that immediately came to my mind was "correct." The soundstage and imaging was for the first time and finally correct. Because of the inherent design of balanced, the background was noticeably blacker to the point where, for the first time since I could remember, I was hearing things in recordings that I've never heard before. All of this coming from this little portable piece of thing, which the volume pot not even close to max (hovers around 2-3 o'clock).

Now obviously this may have no relevance at all to the current discussion of the SR-71B...or the HE-6 for that matter. But if the SR-71B performs anywhere near the level of the PB1, and FWIR it ought to surpass it, then I would say that you're definitely in for a big treat when you pair the two together. 
atsmile.gif

I appreciate your unpretentious observation.  Thanks.

Dec 15, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #349 of 1,194

Quote:
Thanks for the early impressions, Skylab.  Can you tell us what you think of the 71b with your Edition 8s and LCD-2?  If they're not balanced, that's fine--I'm curious about the 71b's single-ended amp too.

Any initial thoughts on how the 71b compares to the Protector would also be appreciated.  Hoping to have as much info. as possible before I have to take the pre-order plunge
bigsmile_face.gif

Only my HE-6 are balanced.  I'm going to focus on those.  I will try to give the Ed 8 and LCD-2 a listen in the coming days, but given that work has currently ground my "fun" time to almost nothing, it will be a while, I'm sorry.

Dec 15, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #350 of 1,194
Sky:  this is definitely costing a lot of precious "fun" time in this holiday season for you to do this.  This is a labor of love and to me at least and I believe for many others as well, is  equivalent to a Christmas present.  I hope you'll find some satisfaction in knowing that your effort brings much joy to many of us.  Thank you very much.

Dec 15, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #351 of 1,194

Quote:
Sky:  this is definitely costing a lot of precious "fun" time in this holiday season for you to do this.  This is a labor of love and to me at least and I believe for many others as well, is  equivalent to a Christmas present.  I hope you'll find some satisfaction in knowing that your effort brings much joy to many of us.  Thank you very much.

Oh the pleasure is all mine.  I just wish I had more time to do it!!  Thanks though.

Dec 15, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #352 of 1,194

Quote:
Quote:
Balanced output is of considerably higher voltage than SE, even from the same source having both types of outputs.

This affects the sound coming from the amp.

Right - the question is about the output of the source, not the amp.  The SR71B uses a phase splitter to take the single ended input and run it through the amp balanced.  Either of its inputs use the entire amp, and can feed the balanced output.  But a balanced source is very likely to be stronger than a SE one.  The only practical implication of this will be what is the maximum amount the amp will be able to amplify the lower voltage input. 

I'm hoping to try the SR-71B's SE input later today.

So as an update to what I wrote above - this is indeed the case.  Using my iPad as a source, via the dock connector with an ALO LOD cable, feeding the SE input of the HE-6, and using somewhat soft source material but with wide dynamic range ("Aja" from Steely Dan), I can get to full rotation on the SR-71B and I would classify the volume as only "loud", not crazy loud.  The sound is still excellent, louder than I would normally listen (by a good margin), and there is still zero clipping or distortion. And on songs that have a higher average level, the HE-6 can still be driven to clean but stupid-loud levels. But I have no idea what the output voltage of the iPad's line out via dock connector actually is.  My guess it's below the standard 2V. 

Given that the HE-6 is one of the least sensitive/efficient headphones on the market, however, I would say that this "torture test" satisfies me that the SR-71B will be able to drive the HE-6 balanced even from in's SE input in the vast majority of cases, for all but the volume- craziest of you 
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #353 of 1,194
Sky:  Normally you will just give the review of an amp.  But you are taking the " FUN Factor" of this incremental update to the n degree.  I really enjoying the way you are doing it.  No doubt it's more demanding but you are getting all of us crazy in waiting to find out what would be the next discovery, totally awesome.

PS:  I hope this process will make a convert out of you in balance amping, hehehe

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #354 of 1,194

Quote:
Sky:  Normally you will just give the review of an amp.  But you are taking the " FUN Factor" of this incremental update to the n degree.  I really enjoying the way you are doing it.  No doubt it's more demanding but you are getting all of us crazy in waiting to find out what would be the next discovery, totally awesome.

PS:  I hope this process will make a convert out of you in balance amping, hehehe

And you guys are helping me to write the review by letting me know what you most want me to listen to/for
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #355 of 1,194
Is this an invitation for requests?  I don't know if you want to encourage that, you may never finish this shootout, right Guys?

Here is one, in the above observation when you say  "I can get to full rotation on the SR-71B and I would classify the volume as only "loud", not crazy loud."  What is the Gain state you were using, Hi, Lo, Me?

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #356 of 1,194

Quote:
Is this an invitation for requests?  I don't know if you want to encourage that, you may never finish this shootout, right Guys?

Here is one, in the above observation when you say  "I can get to full rotation on the SR-71B and I would classify the volume as only "loud", not crazy loud."  What is the Gain state you were using, Hi, Lo, Me?

That would be high gain.  The HE-6 cannot be used except on high gain.

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #357 of 1,194
Thanks so much your info about the single ended input information of the SR71B. I am hoping my SR71B arrive, so
I can try with the HE6, LCD2, R10 and HD800 that I have.   All these headphones has balanced cable into 4 pin XLR
so i just need the adapter from 4 pin XLR to mini 4 pin XLR.  I will report the result when I have both the adapter cable and
SR71B.

Dec 15, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #358 of 1,194

Quote:
Thanks so much your info about the single ended input information of the SR71B. I am hoping my SR71B arrive, so
I can try with the HE6, LCD2, R10 and HD800 that I have.   All these headphones has balanced cable into 4 pin XLR
so i just need the adapter from 4 pin XLR to mini 4 pin XLR.  I will report the result when I have both the adapter cable and
SR71B.

I look forward to your observations. What will your source be?

It looks like shipping will start on Monday, the 20th for those who pay for their preorder. I look forward to the impressions. 

Dec 16, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #359 of 1,194

Quote:
Quote:
SR71B.

It looks like shipping will start on Monday, the 20th for those who pay for their preorder. I look forward to the impressions. 

Cool.  I was sneaky and already paid before he started asking for money.  I couldn't wait because I had to use up the money in my paypal account that was set aside for the SR-71b, before I could make some other payments that were better coming from my bank account (under my wife's watchful eyes).

Dec 16, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #360 of 1,194

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
SR71B.

Cool.  I was sneaky and already paid before he started asking for money.  I couldn't wait because I had to use up the money in my paypal account that was set aside for the SR-71b, before I could make some other payments that were better coming from my bank account (under my wife's watchful eyes).

That's funny. Well you got a head start. I have a feeling this is going to be a fun avenue to music. I also love the looks of the amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back