RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Dec 21, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #901 of 1,194
Shirley ? Now who's rolling out the old-school humor, Ian ? Hang on, I thought you were making a beeline for the High End forum via some overpriced electronics from Merry Olde England ? Wait long enough and Cambodians will be given British pounds instead of the Riel when they buy something with USD ..... 
tongue.gif

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #902 of 1,194
Anyone else who owns both prefers the 71A a lot more than the 71B? I am on vacation and am listening to the LCD2 on my CLAS and 71A. Amazing transportable rig I'd say.

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #903 of 1,194
Nope - its just you and Mike from Headfonia. The 71A really needs a revamp - having to change 9-volt batteries is just sooooo 2001.  
rolleyes.gif

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #904 of 1,194
Shirley ? Now who's rolling out the old-school humor, Ian ? Hang on, I thought you were making a beeline for the High End forum via some overpriced electronics from Merry Olde England ? Wait long enough and Cambodians will be given British pounds instead of the Riel when they buy something with USD ..... 
tongue.gif

Ahh mate. not there yet, some time next year though and it will be another year before I even look at a home rig if I do at all as I am enjoying listening to headphones more than speakers.

Have a great Crimbo!

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #905 of 1,194

Quote:
Anyone else who owns both prefers the 71A a lot more than the 71B? I am on vacation and am listening to the LCD2 on my CLAS and 71A. Amazing transportable rig I'd say.

For single ended, I far prefer the 71A.  If I can use balanced on a headphone, the 71B is my preference.

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #907 of 1,194
This excerpt from a Stereophile review of the 71A

"If you're not familiar with Ray Samuels Audio's naming strategy, it can be a tad confusing—every RSA product is called the Emmeline something or other. "That's because all of my products have to be good enough to bear the name of my beautiful daughter," Ray Samuels explained. "And then I name each of them after an airplane, because I worked in the aviation industry for so many years." Hence, this portable amp is the Emmeline SR-71, in a nod to the US Air Force's iconic, blisteringly fast reconnaissance plane."

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #908 of 1,194

Quote:
Nope - its just you and Mike from Headfonia. The 71A really needs a revamp - having to change 9-volt batteries is just sooooo 2001.  
rolleyes.gif

You know, if the peeps on this forum were fashionistas or the least concerned about style or funcationality, we would be listening to MP3s off an iPhone 4S with an obligatory pair of Dr Dre's
k701smile.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #909 of 1,194
You know, if the peeps on this forum were fashionistas or the least concerned about style or funcationality, we would be listening to MP3s off an iPhone 4S with an obligatory pair of Dr Dre's
k701smile.gif

Tell me about it, you should see the funny looks I get with my rig when out at coffee shops. My local one has gotten used to it now but occasionally believe it or not they have fielded questions as customers have asked "whats that guy listening to"! Mind, they have then come over and I have plugged their earphones in and they get it.. then they ask what the stack cost :D :blink: and the funny looks then return!

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #911 of 1,194
Oh no, coffee shop is the Etymotics as they seal out all the noise, though I am taking my LCD's on vacation with me tomorrow thanks to the great carrying case!

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #913 of 1,194
Ahh, but here comes my admission of OCD'ness! I have always done this with my stuff, packed it well. Heck even my rig goes into a padded lowepro bag which then goes in my courier bag!
Funny thing is I was packing my bag last night, a small carry-on (travel so much I have learned the art of travelling light and of in hotel laundries!) I realized a large amount of room taken up was for all the charges, one each for amp, CLAS, iPod and Leica, at least the iPod one doubles as my iPad charger!

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #914 of 1,194
Time to consider the Energizer power pack...

I am not a photography guy but I still envy your Leica, dude... Is it the M9? I only have a petty Fujifilm X100 and that is already the best camera I have.

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #915 of 1,194
It's just the humble D-LUX5 but it does all I need and having had the panny equivalent it certainly gives better results i have found. I have toyed with the idea of an M9 but though I like photography I am not into it as much as Hifi so keeping it light is a great thing. I had the D-Lux3 last year and it performed wonderfully in the sub-zero temperatures of the Rockies where I am heading off to tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back