RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Dec 17, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #871 of 1,194

Quote:

Ray: if you are reading this. May I know the source and HP which you primarily used when tuning the sound of the SR71B please?

I am not Ray buy he typically sources his amps with his regular CD player.  For the SR-71B, it would have most likely been with a Meridian CD plan such as the G08 or maybe his 508.24 but maybe he used his Boulder.

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #872 of 1,194

Quote:
I am not Ray buy he typically sources his amps with his regular CD player.  For the SR-71B, it would have most likely been with a Meridian CD plan such as the G08 or maybe his 508.24 but maybe he used his Boulder.

Hi AA. Thanks. I suspected it was a Boulder or an equivalent but it would be tough for me to take a bus and a Boulder around for some tunes :)

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #873 of 1,194

Quote:
once again, hellooo, is anyone reading my posts!! What HP cables are you listening through. I found brightness with the TWag but with standard copper and my silver poisons no brightness exists!

Hi Ian. Sorry for the late reply. I'm using a DHC Nucleotide home build. OCC copper. Yes with its improve clarity, the brightness did worsen after I swap into this from stock. But on top of that, other aspects have improved significantly as well. 

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #874 of 1,194
Ah, so for some then maybe the stock cable is fine. i just think though that this is another of the fun things about this hobby, we all hear things in different ways, not about right or wrong, just different.
It was reading through reams of information here that I based the cable decision I made and I am glad I did!

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #876 of 1,194
no it doesn't but my cable has an adaptor to go from balanced to single ended so I was able to try the TWag, Toxic cables and stock cable in single ended mode as well as the TWag and Toxic in balanced.

If I had the TWag I would have been most certainly agreeing with the both of you on brightness which is why I am going on so much about the HP cables role in this.

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #877 of 1,194

Quote:
Eh... I don't think the stock cable has balanced SR71-B termination?

DIY!! I ordered like 6 of those Kobiconn plugs from Ray when I ordered my amp.

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #878 of 1,194
Hmm, blurpapa. Now, treat me like the DIY idiot I truly am. I have an etymotic ERS for my portable use and have wondered is it possible to convert it to Balanced, how hard would that be? Is it simply a case of cutting off the existing termination then attaching the wires to the specific terminals on the plug.. See, i just read that back and felt like an idiot!

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #879 of 1,194

Quote:
no it doesn't but my cable has an adaptor to go from balanced to single ended so I was able to try the TWag, Toxic cables and stock cable in single ended mode as well as the TWag and Toxic in balanced.

If I had the TWag I would have been most certainly agreeing with the both of you on brightness which is why I am going on so much about the HP cables role in this.

There was a post somewhere far back that a balanced (amp) to se (HP plug) adapter is not recommended. And the amp's warranty is void if something fizzles out. 

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #880 of 1,194

Quote:
Hmm, blurpapa. Now, treat me like the DIY idiot I truly am. I have an etymotic ERS for my portable use and have wondered is it possible to convert it to Balanced, how hard would that be? Is it simply a case of cutting off the existing termination then attaching the wires to the specific terminals on the plug.. See, i just read that back and felt like an idiot!

Hi Ian. I just started myself! All this soldering stuff. I ordered some cables from a guy and he set me in the right direction. Its actually super easy if you are willing to give it a try an have the time for it. 

Yes. It's as simple as that!! On top of making sure that you have all the right L and R + and - going to the right pins, the first thing you have to check is if your existing cable runs 4 wires? If it does, you are in luck!!

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #881 of 1,194
Oh, i did not realize that. The adapter i have has the female version of the Blackbird plug which I plug my balanced cable into which then converts it to single ended. I think a few cable companies including the one I use sell them.

What I was meaning though in my previous question was could I simply cut off the existing stock mini jack on my ER4S's cable and then solder on one of the balanced connectors assuming the cable is correct for it. I searched and it seems quite a few stock cables are capable of that including I thin the stock audeze as mine came with a diagram explaining it.

I believe having a stock cable single ended termination which would then go into a cable terminated with a balanced connection would cause major amp problems though from what I have read.

OOPS! was writing my response to your previous post and then when i posted I saw your answer, thank you. i have a soldering iron, I think I will give it a go!

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #882 of 1,194
I have emailed Etymotic about this but now thanks to you I have a more detailed question to ask them, Will let everyone know! Thank you again for your kind help!

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #883 of 1,194
Sorry, another post.

Just found this quote when I searched for an answer to the suitability of the ety cable. what do you think from this segment I found?

"Due to my own stupidity I ended up ripping the plug off of my etymotic ER-4p in-ear monitors.

I went out and bought a new Neutrik 3.5mm stereo plug, and stripped the cable to start re-wiring it. Much to my surprise, there seemed to be one extra conductor in the cable, there was within the jacket:

an unbraided shield
a white conductor
a red conductor, and
a black conductor."

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #884 of 1,194

Quote:
an unbraided shield
a white conductor
a red conductor, and
a black conductor."

Hi Ian, from the looks of the above, it looks like the Etys are running a +, a - and a ground wire. In my limited knowledge it looks like its inevitable you will need to rebuild the entire wire. For the same reason, I didnt dare to touch my IE8s which is why I am still listening to them single ended.

Taking the LCD2 fo example, it runs a + and a - to each of the left and right monitors. With 4 wires, and the pin out supplied by Ray, it was just a matter of matching the right wires.

If you are keen to re build a compete wire for your Etys, a few clues which may help:
1) Are there 3rd party balanced wires offered for your Etys?
2) Are you able to get the plugs which connect the wires to your earphones?
If its yes for both questions above, it looks like you have a project in your hands :)

Before you start soldering, my advice is to also get a cheap simple analog multimeter to identify and double confirm the wires before soldering. But if you already have a soldering iron in your house, you are already several rungs above where I started! :)

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #885 of 1,194

Quote:
Oh, i did not realize that. The adapter i have has the female version of the Blackbird plug which I plug my balanced cable into which then converts it to single ended. I think a few cable companies including the one I use sell them.

Ah ok thats fine then. Sorry, I thought it was the other way round ie. an adapter which convert the SE plug from your headphones to a balanced backbird male plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back