RSA MUSTANG P-51 . little amp BIG sound . image 1, 28, 30, 55, 59, 61 Reviews, 30, 34 . Post images . Monitors pg 1
May 11, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #1,036 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use medium gain with everything from 124 db/mw ES3X to HD600.

How about westone 3? so any gain we used will not break our headphone or IEM? so I can just experiment with it?

May 11, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #1,037 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by CooLy_oNE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about westone 3? so any gain we used will not break our headphone or IEM? so I can just experiment with it?

You would damage your hearing after getting a bad headache long before any damage to the IEM I think.

The advantage of the low gain setting is to allow a larger range of volume rotation for sensitive monitors...so you don't get blasted with a slight clockwise turn.

I recommend starting with low gain for any IEM.

May 14, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #1,038 of 1,220
What is the sign of "need burn-in" with P51-mustang? My mustang has 50 hours burn-in, but it muddy the high/treble vocal of my westone 3, compared to headphone jack..is because it needs more burn-in or it is just how P51 sounds?

May 14, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #1,040 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by CooLy_oNE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the sign of "need burn-in" with P51-mustang? My mustang has 50 hours burn-in, but it muddy the high/treble vocal of my westone 3, compared to headphone jack..is because it needs more burn-in or it is just how P51 sounds?

What source are you using the P-51 with? Are your W3 muddy in the high/treble with other sources? What tips are you using with the W3? Do you have the W3 pushed too deep into your ears, because

I don't know how many hours my P-51 has since I bought it used, but mine is certainly not muddy, but my W3 have never been muddy either unless I push them too deep into my ears. I have to insert the W3 just deep enough to seal and stay in place, but not too deep.

May 26, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #1,041 of 1,220
Hi, has any one tried the p-51 as a preamp to a desk top amp? Just read some old posts talking about portable amps working as preamps.

May 27, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #1,042 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]Equipment:[/size]

Tried with 4 diff LODs: * All UPOCC Quality* ( 1. Unique Solid Copper structure using microporous Teflon 6 wire | 2. Solid Silver in Natural Medical Grade thin Teflon 5 wire | 3. Multiple gauge combination of solid Copper in clear Teflon, solid Silver in Natural Teflon, and stranded Copper in PE - 6 wire | 4. Stranded Copper in PE and Solid silver in Natural teflon - 7 wire)

RCA Cables: UPPOCC Silver in Cotton, UPOCC Copper in Teflon

Headphones: ESW9 with mods and 6 strand silver/copper recable, CD1000 with mods and UPOCC 6 wire recable. Recabled silver/copper FreqShow.

Sources: iPod Touch w/ Apple Lossless, Marantz/Auzen -> Modded Zhaolu 2.5 w/Passive Output Stage

Pre-amp: Yamaha CA-600 Pre-amp outs (superb, noiseless, fully discrete pre-amp)

[size=small]Sound:[/size]

0 Hour:
w/ALL: Flat, bassy, very odd soundstage (cymbals hit in the right locations, but vocals are right up against the ear drum), performs best with the “Six Special” to fix the soundstage.

1 Hour: Imaging settling. Sonics evening, more detail.

It has been a very interesting audio journey listening to my P-51while it is being burnt-in with a map in hand and knowing what to expect next. I am at my ~45 hours mark and looking forward to the "Very sweet sound" at Hour 58. Liking what I hear so far. This is going to be my travel mate.

May 27, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #1,043 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has been a very interesting audio journey listening to my P-51while it is being burnt-in with a map in hand and knowing what to expect next. I am at my ~45 hours mark and looking forward to the "Very sweet sound" at Hour 58. Liking what I hear so far. This is going to be my travel mate.

The Mustang is very good with the Ed.9 and the ESW10JPN, isn't it ?
wink.gif

May 27, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #1,044 of 1,220
It works fine with them.

May 29, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #1,045 of 1,220
stupid stupid question: I am considering ordering a P-51 (or waiting for the shadow, but honestly I like volume knobs). I see many pictures of the P-51 but not of the included accessories. I understand it has a charger brick the converts AC to 5V DC. Since USB also outputs 5V DC, I am wondering if there is a cable available to plug the P-51 into a USB port for charging. That way if I am traveling I don't have to lug around the power supply. USB doesn't output much current, so it will probably take longer to charge, but I am OK with that.

Thanks.

May 29, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #1,046 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stupid stupid question: I am considering ordering a P-51 (or waiting for the shadow, but honestly I like volume knobs). I see many pictures of the P-51 but not of the included accessories. I understand it has a charger brick the converts AC to 5V DC. Since USB also outputs 5V DC, I am wondering if there is a cable available to plug the P-51 into a USB port for charging. That way if I am traveling I don't have to lug around the power supply. USB doesn't output much current, so it will probably take longer to charge, but I am OK with that.

Thanks.

Don't know about the USB thing, but be it known that the 'Stang goes a LONG time on a single charge. DAYS actually driving my HD650s when I was breaking in my new APS cable running night and day. So, for couple-of-days travel, you won't need a charger anyhow! If you use it for a handful of hours per day, say 4-6, you could probably be set for a week, of course depending on which cans you use! I still cannot believe how strong and long-lasting that tiny little amp is.

That being said, it would be nice to know about the USB...
happy_face1.gif

May 29, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #1,047 of 1,220
Not a stupid question at all, the P-51 does include a AC to 5V DC converter. Referencing the model # of the brick I find that it's a 2.1mm jack so you should be able to use this: Item#6025 (First one I found, not affiliated at all
tongue.gif
) Edit: If someone could chime in and verify this that would be great! Don't have a caliper handy.
wink.gif

I'd like to also take this moment and say how much I've fallen in love with my P-51 since it's nearly burnt in I think. Sound is crisp but warm and yet true (that's how I feel anyway). Thanks again Ray!

May 29, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #1,049 of 1,220
Permagrin: Thanks! That is great info. That Cable looks ideal!

May 29, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #1,050 of 1,220
Reading up on the Predator, it cautions not to use a different charger because the stock one automatically shuts off when the battery is full. I would imagine it is the same with the mustang, so you risk overheating/battery explosion with the USB cable (probably).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back