RSA MUSTANG P-51 . little amp BIG sound . image 1, 28, 30, 55, 59, 61 Reviews, 30, 34 . Post images . Monitors pg 1
May 10, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #1,007 of 1,220
I don't like the P-51/ER4 combo. For my tastes, the ER4 needs an amp with a laid back sound which the P-51 is not. I think you'd be happier with the AKG's if you had a desktop amp...unless you need portable.

The ER4P is easy to drive but will improve with a nice amp...one with impedance and bass boost options is nice.

May 10, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #1,009 of 1,220
Thanks for the suggestions. I emailed Ray a few days back and he suggested the same thing. I prefer crystal clear clarity (mind you not sibilance) and detail retrieval. I am not a bass head, however, the bass there is I want to be tight and punchy. I listen to pop, metal and female vocals.

Well the AKGs are more likely to stay at home not sure yet. The ER-4Ps / Audeo Phanksfor travel. (And yes trhe wallet is starting to hurt!)

I will be using the iphone or the laptop as source. Which brings me up to next point -- what kind of LOD + DAC (for the iphone for poratble use) and DAC (for the laptop) do you guys recommend. I think for the time being I would prefer not to by both a portable Amp and Desktop so I thought getting a really good portable amp would be a good compromise.

I guess I get concerned when people mention that the SR71a is laid back since to me it almost seems like a code word for dark / veiled. But perhaps my impression is wrong.

From reading about the P-51 -- it seemed like it fit my tastes hence the post.

May 10, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #1,010 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by allbald /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be using the iphone or the laptop as source. Which brings me up to next point -- what kind of LOD + DAC (for the iphone for poratble use) and DAC (for the laptop) do you guys recommend. I think for the time being I would prefer not to by both a portable Amp and Desktop so I thought getting a really good portable amp would be a good compromise.

So you're planning to buy a portable DAC/amp combo?

May 10, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #1,011 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you're planning to buy a portable DAC/amp combo?

Not necessarily. The amps I seem to like don't have pre-amps built in.

So I assume the choice is either directly go to the amp from the iphone or use some sort of LOD from the iphone then possibly use and DAC + Amp, right? Or perhaps I am missing something?

May 10, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #1,012 of 1,220
If using your iPod you don't need a DAC. You would only have access to the analog audio output, hopefully via LOD.

The DAC/amp combos have analog input and digital input. The digital input will mostly be USB but brands such as iBasso offer coax and optical input also.

For under $300 it seems that the iBasso D10 DAC/amp is top choice. You might have seen this long thread about the D10.

May 10, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #1,013 of 1,220
Quote:

If using your iPod you don't need a DAC. You would only have access to the analog audio output, hopefully via LOD.

The DAC/amp combos have analog input and digital input. The digital input will mostly be USB but brands such as iBasso offer coax and optical input also.

For under $300 it seems that the iBasso D10 DAC/amp is top choice. You might have seen this long thread about the D10.

I think I would prefer to go for the higher quality aamp then. I think I read about the wadia itransport (which is able to bypass the ipod/itouch internal DAC and output a digital stream) and thought there might be something similar in the portable realm but I guess not. A DAC for iphone use would generally be a waste then.

So back to SR71a vs P-51. The other thing that's nice about the P-51 is the rechargeability which the SR71a doesnt have. Seems pretty annoying.

I guess the SR71a amp is not considered subjectively better than the P-51 necessarily but rather some people think that its a better fit with brighter sounding IEMs/cans?

May 10, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #1,014 of 1,220
The two 9 volt batteries will cost another $22 or more plus a charger. The advantage with the SR-71A would be more voltage equaling more driving power...not needed with IEMs but would be desired for many full size cans.

I hope to do my own P-51/ SR-71A comparisons soon if my wallet allows.

I think you're right about which is better. It will depend on your specific needs(which monitor/s) and sound signature preference.

May 10, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #1,015 of 1,220
Quote:

The two 9 volt batteries will cost another $22 or more plus a charger. The advantage with the SR-71A would be more voltage equaling more driving power...not needed with IEMs but would be desired for many full size cans.

I hope to do my own P-51/ SR-71A comparisons soon if my wallet allows.

I think you're right about which is better. It will depend on your specific needs(which monitor/s) and sound signature preference.

I think jamato8 who started this thread has both (or tested both) and definitely seemed to rank the less expensive P-51 higher, granted though that he has different iem/can preferences.

Makes it pretty hard to decide since its possible that if let's say the P-51/ER-4P or AKG 702 is could generally be considered bright to most reviewers here vs the SR1a and the same combos. However, it's possible that to my ears bright is normal/neutral. I would definitely say that my tastes probably lean toward bright compared to most folks but how much brighter I like it compared to the average is hard to say.

Would either of these be able to drive the AKG 702s sufficiently or do you need a more powerful amp?

May 10, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #1,016 of 1,220
I also like a somewhat bright sound...and plenty of bass. I guess i want it all.
biggrin.gif

So the question is: Can these amps drive the 701/702 to a satisfying level?

Well, I've only listened to friends 701 and never with portable amps. With not enough experience I will only guess that HD 650 is more demanding and the P-51 does a fine job at low to medium volume...it almost gets there but falls short with bass heavy music at higher(approaching unsafe) listening volume. With my Woo Audio 3 tube amp my ears beg for mercy long before the amp gives out.

May 10, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #1,017 of 1,220
Quote:

I also like a somewhat bright sound...and plenty of bass. I guess i want it all.
biggrin.gif

So the question is: Can these amps drive the 701/702 to a satisfying level?

Well, I've only listened to friends 701 and never with portable amps. With not enough experience I will only guess that HD 650 is more demanding and the P-51 does a fine job at low to medium volume...it almost gets there but falls short with bass heavy music at higher(approaching unsafe) listening volume. With my Woo Audio 3 tube amp my ears beg for mercy long before the amp gives out.

I am going through a lot portable gear changes ( as in I need to start over ). So assuming I get the P-51 and am using it to drive the 702s from a laptop -- what DAC and cables are recommended from a laptop?

I think when the new iphone comes out -- i'll probably get the ALO cryo 18g stuff from iphone to amp but need to understand better what would be good from a laptop as well including cables?

May 10, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #1,018 of 1,220
Quote:

I will be using the iphone or the laptop as source. Which brings me up to next point -- what kind of LOD + DAC (for the iphone for poratble use) and DAC (for the laptop) do you guys recommend.

I am using exactly the same sources, but different phones (Westone 3 and Grado RS-1i).
I started with a Predator because I thought it would be nice to have one tiny amp for all purposes, but I was not too happy with it, especially with the internal DAC (the Predator sounded much better with the iPhone than with my notebook)

So I went for an external DAC (Devilsound), an external amp (Mustang) and a home amp (EC/SS) and am really happy now.
For my iPhone I am using a Quables LOD.

The change was not too good for my wallet but very good for my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

From my experiences I would stay away from DAC / amp combinations.
Some are having a good amp, some are having a good DAC, but in combination ...

Jochen

May 10, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #1,019 of 1,220
Quote:

I am going through a lot portable gear changes ( as in I need to start over ). So assuming I get the P-51 and am using it to drive the 702s from a laptop -- what DAC and cables are recommended from a laptop?

I think when the new iphone comes out -- i'll probably get the ALO cryo 18g stuff from iphone to amp but need to understand better what would be good from a laptop as well including cables?

I can't help but recommend the HeadAmp Pico DAC. At its $350 price I believe you'd have a tough time finding a better option,especially if you want to eliminate the need for external power. I've listened to the Pico DAC and it sounds identical to my Pico DAC/amp combo so I don't agree that a combo like this can't be good, in fact I think the amp section sounds great.

HeadAmp Pico DAC

The cables you'd need for a USB DAC like the Pico would be either a 3.5mm to 3.5mm or stereo RCA to 3.5mm. You probably already have a USB Mini-B cable for connection to the laptop.

May 10, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #1,020 of 1,220
Here's 2 more pics of the wine/gold combo in real light with no flash. My previous pics may have misrepresented the true colors of the amp.

P51day1.jpg

P51day2.jpg

Although depending on the viewing angle from the light source it will appear to be a much darker wine.
biggrin.gif

Edit: Oh and I really love this little thing! One of the things that amazes me is that the volume of playback has no factor on the perceived information delivered. I can listen at a very minimal volume and still appreciate all of the aspects of the music when through other mediums it would require probably a moderate volume (If that makes any sense
tongue.gif
). Thanks again Ray!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back