RSA MUSTANG P-51 . little amp BIG sound . image 1, 28, 30, 55, 59, 61 Reviews, 30, 34 . Post images . Monitors pg 1
May 5, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #991 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW: iPod Touch owners, you should totally DIYmod that sucker. Did mine this morning - is AWESOMENESS!

link?

May 6, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #993 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sitting here listening to Patricia Barber "Companion" with my iMod, portable Vcap dock and P-51 mustang; and I'm still surprised at how good the P-51 sounds driving my HD600. I have NO complaints about the P-51 driving my HD600. It's not my Maxed WA6, but it sure sounds like a desktop amp.

I'm in medium gain with the volume between 2:30 - 3 o'clock, and it gets pretty loud maxed out in medium gain with no clipping. At max in medium gain it is louder than I usually listen to music, without clipping, and maybe slightly louder than my ALO Amphora in high gain. The bass is tight and quick, mids and vocals are sweet, and highs are crisp. There is also good ambience and soundstage. I do have the APureSound V3 cable on my HD600 and it does help the HD600 gain some extra transparency and detail and extension.

Neither of these portable amps has a right to sound this good driving a 300 ohm full size headphones.

I've been comparing my P-51, Pico & XM5 with HD 650. I find that my XM5(TI BUF634/AD8065) has slightly more power than either. I've been using medium gain with the P-51 because high doesn't seem to offer any more power. My source was stock 5.5 G iPod. The Pico is nearly equal (might be slightly better) in power to P-51. What impresses me with Pico in high gain is that it doesn't clip/distort at full volume where the P-51 did at approx. 80~85% full volume in medium gain(this was with insane bass heavy electronic). Both sound great but I do prefer the P-51 with HD 650...especially with female vocals. I haven't listened with my 325i enough to decide for sure which I prefer but I'm leaning towards Pico.

May 6, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #995 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been comparing my P-51, Pico & XM5 with HD 650. I find that my XM5(TI BUF634/AD8065) has slightly more power than either. I've been using medium gain with the P-51 because high doesn't seem to offer any more power. My source was stock 5.5 G iPod. The Pico is nearly equal (might be slightly better) in power to P-51. What impresses me with Pico in high gain is that it doesn't clip/distort at full volume where the P-51 did at approx. 80~85% full volume in medium gain(this was with insane bass heavy electronic). Both sound great but I do prefer the P-51 with HD 650...especially with female vocals. I haven't listened with my 325i enough to decide for sure which I prefer but I'm leaning towards Pico.

Yeah, it's not always about which is louder. The P-51 is loud enough with HD600, and the sound makes up for what it lacks in volume. I almost thought from the first part of your post that you were leading up to some other conclusion.

May 6, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #996 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HERE IS THE Mod pics:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/app...ml#post5643577

Here is my post on how to successfully remove the metal shield without strain.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/app...ml#post5656376

Best of luck and please use an smd iron, along with a steady hand.

Wow, very cool. Hopefully without sounding like a tool, does the mod affect the headphone out or regular function of the line-out at all?

I have a 2nd gen, so I dunno if it'd be the same/similar to do this mod...

Looks cool though!

May 6, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #997 of 1,220
We need to figure out the 2G as the internals are different:
uWwGfS4gBiXIQJhn.standard

It just affects the line-out. You just use iPod dock connectors with capacitors in them or an external box with film capacitors like this:
HPIM0180.jpg

The one above is the one I made for myself yesterday, but it shows internal shots. It is 4.7uf audiophiler MKP 3% bypassed with Lily 0.05uf PIO (vintage japanese PIO). You could do 2.2uf or 3.3uf, but the 4.7uf makes sure all of the bass comes through easily.

May 6, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #998 of 1,220
Wine body with gold endplates

P572a.jpg

P572b.jpg

Question: Is it alright if I start listening to it before it's initially charged? Don't wanna mess anything up but don't really wanna wait till tomorrow to get a feel of it.
icon10.gif

May 6, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #999 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permagrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wine body with gold endplates

P572a.jpg

P572b.jpg

Question: Is it alright if I start listening to it before it's initially charged? Don't wanna mess anything up but don't really wanna wait till tomorrow to get a feel of it.
icon10.gif

Wow, beautiful
eek.gif

Yes, you can use it while it's charging. (it should take 3 hours max.)

May 6, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #1,000 of 1,220
Beautiful color combination. Sure, like stated above, just plug it in, charge and listen at the same time.

May 6, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #1,001 of 1,220
Listening to P-51 > iRiver H160 > Ultrasone Proline 750, on medium gain. Moondog's Big Band brass ensemble.

Wow, this is a sweet little amp. Both P-51 and 750's are pretty new so not many hours on either. Should be superb down the line.

Nice, Ray! Should be fun putting the Mustang against my Hornet some time....

May 7, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #1,002 of 1,220
So today I go to the mailbox and what do I see!

My 5th gen iMod and ALO SXC Cryo cable have arrived:
Beauty.jpg

Sounds amazing so far with my P51 (7 hours on it so far) and Shure SE530s.

Here's a more accurate pic of the P-51 wine color as the ones I posted earlier were at night so under flash:

Noflash.jpg

And yet not a great pic, I'll try to take a better one this weekend.

Edit: Not to mention my order from Ron Jarzombek came in the mail too: Spastic Ink Compatible and Complete, RJ:SSOTC, and Blotted Science!
icon10.gif

May 9, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #1,004 of 1,220
Nice rig S.

I need to pick up some cotton/silk insulation and give it a try.

May 9, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #1,005 of 1,220
Yesterday I joined the club of P-51 owners having used a Predator before.
I did not expect that I would be able to hear a difference between these two amps comparing them side by side, but I was.
I cannot express in words what it is, but the mids do definitively sound better with the Mustang (both amps are fully burned in)

So I am quite happy with my decision for the change
wink.gif

Jochen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back