RSA MUSTANG P-51 . little amp BIG sound . image 1, 28, 30, 55, 59, 61 Reviews, 30, 34 . Post images . Monitors pg 1
Aug 6, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #1,066 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serafim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its not a huge problem, but sometimes when i leave it on burn-in and today as i walked outside, the amp shuts down and wouldnt come on again.

The light was dead and it wouldnt work until i plug it into the charger, and it comes to life again if i flick the switch. Happened a few times now.

Anyone have a clue or similiar experience?

Well, the way you described the problem sounds like you ran the battery down. Are you saying that it does this even when the battery hasn't been drained to empty? In other words, is it shutting down/locking-up with plenty of juice in the battery, and then you have to plug it in and cycle the power switch before you regain control of it again?

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #1,068 of 1,220
I've been reading the threads on head-fi a good few months with great interest. I am always amazed by the Tomahawk. The Graham Slee Novo I had on loan for two weeks was on a par with it at most. The T115 is better than the headphone out on my CA 520A stereo amp feeding my S30 book shelfs. And to read that a smaller package improves upon it

Of course the T115 will be my first and last portable amp. I would rather explore the desktop RSA range
jecklinsmile.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #1,069 of 1,220
I currently have the ES7+ibasso D10 and I love this combination. The highs are nice and sparkly, the mids are slightly frontal(but not Grado-ish frontal) and the bass and nice and tight with GREAT impact. I want to upgrade eventually and I heard the ESW10JPN is a great upgrade since it is more detailed and clearer. however, I did hear that highs are less sparkly and the lows are somewhat less tight. Would using the mustang with the ESW10JPN help increase the sparkle in its highs and tighten the bass? Can anyone comment, in general, about how the ESW10JPN sounds with the mustang? Thanks!

Sep 26, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #1,071 of 1,220
I've recently purchased a P51 to pair with my (also new) D5000's. Both were burned in 200 hrs+. Although the mids and transparency are truly amazing as has been well reported, the bass seems somewhat lean (not an obvious trait of theD5000's for sure). With the amp set at mid-gain, I typically need 50-75% volume to really drive the D5000's; higher than I would have expected. Current limitations of the P51?

Might the SR71A be a better choice with the D5000's? Other recommendations?

Sep 26, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #1,072 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by robshead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've recently purchased a P51 to pair with my (also new) D5000's. Both were burned in 200 hrs+. Although the mids and transparency are truly amazing as has been well reported, the bass seems somewhat lean (not an obvious trait of theD5000's for sure). With the amp set at mid-gain, I typically need 50-75% volume to really drive the D5000's; higher than I would have expected. Current limitations of the P51?

If the bass is lean, it's either your source or your gain source. It's definitely not the D5000s.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #1,073 of 1,220
Just got my P51 Mustang from Ray, and boy is this thing small. I just want to give Ray and his staff props for their service and communication with the order. Can't wait till I get home. Gotta find a way to explain to the wifey how this came about.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #1,074 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxblyxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my P51 Mustang from Ray, and boy is this thing small. I just want to give Ray and his staff props for their service and communication with the order. Can't wait till I get home. Gotta find a way to explain to the wifey how this came about.
smily_headphones1.gif

Can I ask why this over the Shadow? I am going back and forth between the two and it's making my head hurt.

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #1,075 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxblyxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Wait 'till you see the Shadow!! Now that's small....!

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #1,076 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruknd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I ask why this over the Shadow? I am going back and forth between the two and it's making my head hurt.

Well, as you can see with my low post count, I'm not an audiophile expert by any means. But relying on this forum for user inputs and reviews. One of the main reason for choosing the P51 was the three gain settings. I have a pair of Shure IEMS (don't know which model, spent about ~$175 for them) and recently a pair of AT-ESW9 <cheers>. From my understanding, with the gain settings I can "tune" it to the two sets of headphones. Of course, this is my newbie understanding of gain settings. I could be absolutely wrong about this.

Secondly, from the reviews, this amp has great "synergy" with the ESW9. I wanted to hear the difference between this amp and my Altoids CMOY Amp.

But I do like the fact that the Shadow has a USB input for charging. One less AC adapter to lug around for my travels. And plus, I like the good ole analog knob for volume control.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #1,077 of 1,220
anyone tried the p51 with the er4 yet?

Nov 28, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #1,078 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by B[van] /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone tried the p51 with the er4 yet?

Yes - and it sounds great! I just think my ER-4S sounds a bit more involving and with a bit more air and punch with the iBasso D10 with stock OPamps.

Dec 5, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #1,079 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by robshead /img/forum/go_quote.gif

do you guys feel that the d5000's require an amp with 9v current to drive them best?

EDIT: I'v read through a ton of this thread and i cant find one... does anyone have a picture of a mustang with or compared to an ipod nano?

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #1,080 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had these for a couple months now and I am very pleased with the quality they've shown. They've done great with my esw9's, my d5000's, and even my edition 9's. Although I'm probably setting my sights on the pico slim as opposed to the shadow, I've been amazed by what Ray Samuels did in the p-51 in its combination of portability and ability to drive real headphones (albeit with somewhat low impedance.)

that sounds great, can the mustang really drive the low frequencies of your denon 5000? the predator had trouble with mine, however my preadotr sounds much better after long burn, but i astill have to recheck with my denon as last time it couldnt fully suffice the denon lows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back