RSA MUSTANG P-51 . little amp BIG sound . image 1, 28, 30, 55, 59, 61 Reviews, 30, 34 . Post images . Monitors pg 1
Dec 19, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #481 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidw89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really want one of these due to its size + SQ but after shipping and custome fee then conversion to USD will cost about $700 AUD which isn't cheap = (. And no one has a second hand one for sale either. Dang

Ray ships them at 40$ value

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #482 of 1,220
hi....my sansa clip doesn't have LOD.....plan on getting a different player in the future but will i still be able to enjoy the rsa p-51 somewhat in the mean time?.....will it make any difference?.....thanks, bob

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #483 of 1,220
My guess is yes, it will definitely make a difference. All good amps do, even out of the headphone jack. I used my P-51 out of my Ipod hp jack and it sounded pretty good. Now, it's no where close to using my cryo dock (hopefully will be upgraded to a 18g sxc soon) out of the line out, but still solid. As opposed to going directly out of your hp jack with no amp, it will be a nice upgrade.

I'm not familiar with the Sansa, but this is a very detailed amp. It really works best with lossless files.

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #484 of 1,220
Mine just showed up today. Wow it's small. I've seen the photos, but it doesn't really sink in until it's in front of you! I gave it a quick go, and so far, the sound is murky at best (it's noticeably muddier than the hp jack alone) , I guess it really needs to be burned in first. The instructions say to charge overnight for the first charge, Can I let it burn in during this charge, or should I wait till tomorrow to start?

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #485 of 1,220
Sure use music while charging, that is fine.

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #487 of 1,220
I thought you're meant to use pink noise?

Dec 20, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #488 of 1,220
Quote:

IMO, I like to use the XLO Test & Burn-In Disc. Tracks #7-9 Repeated, which are two frequency sweeps & a pink noise track. I really do'nt think there is a set standard for burn-in. Everyone uses different methods, just go w/the one that you prefer.
Good Luck & Happy Holidays
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #489 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideman7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine just showed up today. Wow it's small. I've seen the photos, but it doesn't really sink in until it's in front of you! I gave it a quick go, and so far, the sound is murky at best (it's noticeably muddier than the hp jack alone) , I guess it really needs to be burned in first. The instructions say to charge overnight for the first charge, Can I let it burn in during this charge, or should I wait till tomorrow to start?

What are you using it with? Westones and IPod w/LOD?

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #490 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wheels4me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you using it with? Westones and IPod w/LOD?

I am still waiting on the LOD, so I have it sitting in a universal dock and using the line out to the amp (and yes, ipod classic and W3's). I tried the headphone jack as well, and I am not hearing a big difference there, so the LOD may still help.

When I get home from work, I'll hook it up to my computer and Firewire 410. That will make it easy for me to switch between the amp and the headphone jack on the 410 for a better comparison. In the mean time I have pink noise running through it...

Dec 20, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #491 of 1,220
Quote:

I suspect Jamato8 was referring to the fact that it is OK to play music while charging (the P-51 will still charge, but at a slower rate).

Separate question (and one I find interesting):
is there any difference for burn-in of amps & headphones, between using pink noise vs. real music.

I've always used real music for burn-in, assuming the transients would "exercise" the drivers / armatures more completely than the more continuous sounding pink noise generators I've come across). For amps (electrically) - I have no idea whether it makes a difference.

It just 'seems like it might', and, why not burn-in your equipment the same way that you'll end up using it, day-to-day?

Dec 20, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #492 of 1,220
I have used both methods and frankly I prefer using real music. Why the difference? I don't know maybe the ebb and flow of real music.

Dec 20, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #493 of 1,220
Well, I got home from my gig tonight and took a listen to see if anything has changed over the last 8 hours or so... It's pretty wild to hear how this is evolving! The sound has filled out dramatically, bass has gotten noticeably deeper, and there even seems to be more on the high end as well. It still has a way to clean up and balance out, but I can see where this is going and it's good. Source signal is still cleaner and has better separation, but I am getting much more umph and energy behind the sound out of the amp at the same volume. When I switch back to the headphone jack of my iPod it feels a bit lifeless by comparison.

I've got it hooked up to my computer now through a M-Audio Firewire 410 which seems to give me a cleaner signal, and even though the headphone jacks on the unit have plenty of power, the sound has way more character through the P-51. I can't wait until it's fully burned in! This is my first headphone amp since I am used to listening on my home system most of the time, but this definitely is getting my portable rig up to par!

Dec 20, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #494 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideman7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's pretty wild to hear how this is evolving! The sound has filled out dramatically, bass has gotten noticeably deeper, and there even seems to be more on the high end as well.

I keep wondering how much of this burn-in effect is real, in the hardware itself.

And, how much is "user-brain burn-in".

Maybe it doesn't really matter. (I suspect it's both)

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #495 of 1,220
If you have a baseline to compare to, as in other amps that are well used, then you can note the difference. I don't go just by what I am hearing on a single amp, as it is burning in, because my ears and mind, brain do vary. I compare to these other amps to distinguish if there is any real change and by this I can do a more honest evaluation rather than rely solely on what I think is changing.

For me, I hear changes on new amps as everything forms. Some of course are more extreme than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back