RSA MUSTANG P-51 . little amp BIG sound . image 1, 28, 30, 55, 59, 61 Reviews, 30, 34 . Post images . Monitors pg 1
Dec 17, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #451 of 1,220
can someone post a picture with Mustang near a Cowon D2 or a Sansa Clip pleeeeaaaase ?
thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #452 of 1,220
Undecided between this and Ibasso D3..how's the review stacking up?

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #454 of 1,220
To answer the poster's question on the P-51 driving the K701, I actually used the K701 to burn in the P-51. I had the P-51 on the high gain setting, and it drove the K701's with no issue. I would say I had the volume set between 2-3 O'clock and it was plenty loud. Right around 12 O'clock, it was very listenable.

Now, does it drive it as well as my home amps, no. But for a portable and something so small, it does a pretty incredible job.

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #455 of 1,220
Freaking exchange rate at $1 USD ~ 0.70 AUD = 30% more expensive.

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #456 of 1,220
When I received my W3's and plugged them into my Tomahawk / ALO Mini Cryo Dock rig, I thought - wow - these WERE worth the money - definite improvement over the SE530's I had been using.

After reading initial reviews, and having a profound admiration for Ray Samuels work and his various "house sounds", I ordered the Mustang early. However, after listening to the W3's on the Tomahawk, I had my doubts that portable sound could get a lot better.

Then the Mustang arrived, and WOW! - the improvement / synergy was head & shoulders above the Tomahawk (still using the Mini Cryo LOD).

Then, I contacted Lil' Knight, and ordered one of his custom LOD's with silver returns.

After extensive a/b testing, I retired the Mini Cryo Dock, in favor of Lil' Knight's LOD.

(the Cryo Dock was more "Grado" sounding, with great, in your face mids, and much warmth and punch. The Lil' Knight LOD, in contrast opened up the low and the high frequencies by a noticeable amount, but initially, sounded a little recessed on the mids, compared to the Cryo Dock. Then I remembered I had EQ'd the Cryo Docks forward mids down a tad. After I changed EQ settings to NONE - it was perfect, so I retired the Cryo Dock)

Yesterday, I received an early Xmas present: ALo's new SXC 18G LOD.

Immediately did some a/b comparisons with Lil Knight's Silver LOD (which I love).

Well, I have to say that, even at $195, the SXC 18G LOD is a noticeable improvement (it should be at 2.5x the price).

Most glaring improvement is in the low frequencies - they are simply stunning on the SXC 18G. The rest of the frequency spectrum is even more lush and impactful with the SXC, but not by a whole lot.

End Result: after the dust settled, I now have 2 rigs:

3G Nano-->ALO SXC 18G LOD-->Mustang-->W3

3G Nano-->Lil Knight LOD-->Tomahawk-->SE530
(which will probably end up in my son's backpack)

LOD ranking with Mustang / Tomahawk:

1. ALO SXC 18G LOD
2. Lil Knight (w/silver returns)
3. ALO Mini Cryo Dock

N.B. Both the ALO SXC and Lil Knight LODs are iPhone / iPod Touch / 4G Nano compatible. (the Cryo Dock isn't)

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #457 of 1,220
Has anybody here listened to a set of Grado GS1000's through the Mustang yet?

RS1's?

I'm dying to hear if they are synergistic.
(have a suspicion they will be, since the Mustang outputs twice the current compared to the Tomahawk).

Related question: which full size cans synergize best with the Mustang (especially considering High Gain = 11x)

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #458 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Related question: which full size cans synergize best with the Mustang (especially considering High Gain = 11x)

Good question. I wonder how HD600s would be with the Mustang. I did not search the thread though.

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #459 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good question. I wonder how HD600s would be with the Mustang. I did not search the thread though.

The Mustang synergizes pretty well with HD600's, but not nearly as well as the W3, and even Grado SR325i's (to my ears, at least - ymmv).

Maybe I'm just done with the veiled Sennheiser signature, at least for awhile (except for monitoring PRS guitar/Line 6 Vetta II amp/Pro Tools recording/mixing).

Dec 17, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #461 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So far I'm really IMPRESSED of the synergy with my Edition 9
eek.gif

I can hear a lot more details in my music and the guitars sound exactly like on my old Grado RS-1 but with the added bass of the Edition 9.

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #462 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far I'm really IMPRESSED of the synergy with my Edition 9
eek.gif

I can hear a lot more details in my music and the guitars sound exactly like on my old Grado RS-1 but with the added bass of the Edition 9.

Oh - thanks a lot!

You Would have to mention those expensive, wonderful, and now discontinued headphones, that I don't yet own. (although, it's great to hear they work so well with the P-51)

You are evil personified!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #463 of 1,220
Pretty much all I use is the Edition 9. I would use them for work but it is hard to do that in ICU. :^)

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #465 of 1,220
Pardon me, but that Sony setup, isn't it supposed to be best if you pull the signal from the usbconnector?
Or is the sony player strong enough to deliver a solid signal wich the amp again push to even better hights?
I thought I read something about running and amp out of the headphone jack was a waste of money..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back