RSA MUSTANG P-51 . little amp BIG sound . image 1, 28, 30, 55, 59, 61 Reviews, 30, 34 . Post images . Monitors pg 1
Mar 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #1,156 of 1,220
Quote:
I liked the Glacier.  Mine had a lot of hiss and after I turned it down to the point that it was gone I could max our the volume on a lot of music that still left me wanting for more.  I told Todd about this and he said he would test it.  This is through my Hd25-1 II.  

Through my Note 2 via OTG and to the glacier it was great but not significantly better than the Headstreamer Mobile I had.  It was a bit faster but I think that ws due to the fact that the Glacier is significantly louder.  Through my Ipod video 5.5 via LOD it was OK not great.  I was using a Fiio LOD but still not as impressive.  I know that the LOD is not as good as going to DAC/Amp but.....

I've never had any problems with hiss, but I do get a lot of RF interference. I think the Apex Glacier is a good amp but the DAC is a bit lacking. I like using my Stoner Acoustics UD100 with the Apex as it retains the Apex's warmth but improves the clarity & punch.

I just ordered a Meier Quickstep so if that's a lot better I may sell the Apex Glacier, although I do like it's warm sound.

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #1,158 of 1,220
Not if the amp portion is worth it. The size of the Glacier is hard to beat. At the end of the day I feel the portaphile is the better choice for the 5 Benjamin's especially if you aren't utilizing the dac of the glacier.

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #1,159 of 1,220
Quote:
Not if the amp portion is worth it. The size of the Glacier is hard to beat. At the end of the day I feel the portaphile is the better choice for the 5 Benjamin's especially if you aren't utilizing the dac of the glacier.

Yeah, I've read a bit about the Portaphile. I'll see how the Quickstep is and then see whether I want to keep the Apex or sell it and get another amp.

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #1,161 of 1,220
Quote:
Thanks. How long will a 9v battery last in the Quickstep if I use for 2-3 hours a day?

You should be able to do a full working week with a new 9V battery. I never measured exactly but I get around 15+ hours. At home I always use a 12V power plug and thus only run on the battery while at work or traveling. With the Quickstep I always have a spare battery in my bag and I never had to bring even the charger with me when I used the P-51 even for week long business-trips.

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #1,162 of 1,220
You should be able to do a full working week with a new 9V battery. I never measured exactly but I get around 15+ hours. At home I always use a 12V power plug and thus only run on the battery while at work or traveling. With the Quickstep I always have a spare battery in my bag and I never had to bring even the charger with me when I used the P-51 even for week long business-trips.

Thanks. Could you point me in the direction of a 15v wall power supply? I checked that link but no real direction. Something off ebay would be the easiest.

ALso, do you notice an improvement in sound quality when using the 12v power supply over the battery?

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #1,163 of 1,220
Quote:
Thanks. Could you point me in the direction of a 15v wall power supply? I checked that link but no real direction. Something off ebay would be the easiest.

ALso, do you notice an improvement in sound quality when using the 12v power supply over the battery?

I could never find anything from eBay. I use an old DECT phone-handset charger. The good thing is that it has no noise. Also I can not hear any difference between battery or power supply. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #1,165 of 1,220
Quote:
Ok thanks. What size is the power supply plug that goes in the back of the Quickstep?

I think we should move this to the Quickstep thread. Again from page 135 you can find the right size. 

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #1,167 of 1,220
Just got a second hand mustang P-51, paired it w my iPod classic and RS1, the combo sounds really good w the musics I like to listen. Very happy w the purchase.

Now I got a few questions which I think here it the best place to ask:

1. When I charge it, how would I know it's fully charged already? There is no indicator or light which shows the charging status, and the amp doesn't feel warm at all when charging, not like some other portable devices I have.

2. When I charge it, should I switch it OFF or it doesn't matter if it's OFF or ON? Can I use it when charging?

3. Any indicator or way to know the battery is running flat and needs to be charged?

Really appreciate if you guys can help me out on these :)

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #1,168 of 1,220
Quote:
Just got a second hand mustang P-51, paired it w my iPod classic and RS1, the combo sounds really good w the musics I like to listen. Very happy w the purchase.

Now I got a few questions which I think here it the best place to ask:

1. When I charge it, how would I know it's fully charged already? There is no indicator or light which shows the charging status, and the amp doesn't feel warm at all when charging, not like some other portable devices I have.

2. When I charge it, should I switch it OFF or it doesn't matter if it's OFF or ON? Can I use it when charging?

3. Any indicator or way to know the battery is running flat and needs to be charged?

Really appreciate if you guys can help me out on these
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi - there is no battery indicator other than the unit simply stopping when it runs dry. That is the only way to know if it needs charging. I usually just left my P-51 to charge overnight. That was enough to have it run for 50 hours afterwards. Like there is no indicator for low battery you can not know when it is fully charged either. But consider 8 hours for it to be fully charged. It can be used while charging so no worried there. Sorry I know this is no help at all - but the userguide was not included in mine and I guess the battery is "intelligent" so that it will not overcharge or wear out too fast. The only thing Ray wrote somewhere is that you can not do anything to wear out the battery in any way neither by overcharging it or charging it enough. So use it as you wish and charge at convenience then you will be safe. 
normal_smile .gif

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #1,169 of 1,220
Hello, 
On my charger...the front has a light that is red when charging and green when fully charged.
You can use it while charging...doesn't hurt anything.
The battery lasts a long time...mine starts to distort slightly when I need to charge.
I am new to mine as in a few months having it..anyone please correct me if I said anything wrong.
Enjoy.

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #1,170 of 1,220
Oh yeah that is right. It distorts when battery is low. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back