RSA MUSTANG P-51 . little amp BIG sound . image 1, 28, 30, 55, 59, 61 Reviews, 30, 34 . Post images . Monitors pg 1
Aug 10, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #1,141 of 1,220
Quote:
I personally LOVE the p51 with my pro 900s.  And strangely, after extensive burn in I don't find the mids of the 900 to be that underwhelming.  I actually feel like the frequency response has become a solid amount flatter now that I'm closing in on about 400 hours.  I did find the mids underwhelming before, but not any longer.  

Something I've noticed about the p-51 is that it seems to sound much better when plugged into the charger, but after about 10-15 hours of charge-less listening it isn't AS good.  This seems strange to me considering it is intended to be portable, and I haven't read anything similar to this before.  Does anyone else notice this? I very rarely get even close to  emptying the battery completely because I end up plugging it in for the improved sound quality.

Strange. I never noticed any difference between when it is connected to the charger. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #1,142 of 1,220
Reviving a dead thread with some pictures and late to the game impressions!

After reading all of the great things about this little amp I decided to see for myself if I could replace my home rig and current portable with just one rig. I wanted one good setup for work and home that I could take back and forth easily. So far this is a stellar combo. I keep my paradox at work and the ath-ad2k at home, it drives both of them superbly. The combo of the p-51 and ad2k is really special, the mids, good lord are they good, forward and vivid. The unit is no where near burnt in, but if it gets better its only a plus from what i'm hearing now. I will most likely be putting my CTH up for sale since the p-51 is on par with it, the p-51 has that solid state clarity over the cth which I like, the p-51 is also more aggressive than the CTH. I use the term aggressive carefully since it evokes the thought of in your face sound, which i think the p-51 is not, it is a very big but confident sound. I will miss the liquid feel of the CTH from time to time I suppose, but as i type this listening to the p-51 I feel no need to be plugged into the cth instead of the p-51. Color me impressed with Ray's work he accomplished a few years ago already with the p-51! 

I hope these thoughts add to the words already been said about the p-51 and maybe help someone on the same search I was a week ago.

Cheers Head-Fi !

~M

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #1,143 of 1,220
ODAC + P-51 is a very portable set of gear. I can only imagine that it sounds great as a companion for your laptop.  

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #1,144 of 1,220
Quote:
ODAC + P-51 is a very portable set of gear. I can only imagine that it sounds great as a companion for your laptop.  

Agreed, I put it in my pocket just like my keys on my way out the door for work every day. My CTH just sold, it's official, this is my main rig and I feel good about it! Out of all the gear I've ever owned this rig is the most versatile and practical(for me). 

Cheers, 

~M

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #1,145 of 1,220
The P-51 is an excellent performer and then you consider the size. It is like a straight wire. Also, I have never had an issue with mine, it runs and runs. Great stuff. :^)

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #1,146 of 1,220
Hey, if anyone can give me some advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm tossing up between the RSA Mustang and the Meier Audio Quickstep. I'll be using either amp with Denon D5000's and Hifiman HE 400's. I want an amp that produces good bass impact with weight and body but is still tight and defined. I've read that the RSA Mustang is slightly warm so I'm concerned that using the D5000's and HE 400's will sound too warm & perhaps dark and lack that upfront cleanness & clarity. Has anyone got both the Meier Quickstep/2Stepdance (virtually the same amp) and the RSA Mustang?

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #1,147 of 1,220
Quote:
Hey, if anyone can give me some advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm tossing up between the RSA Mustang and the Meier Audio Quickstep. I'll be using either amp with Denon D5000's and Hifiman HE 400's. I want an amp that produces good bass impact with weight and body but is still tight and defined. I've read that the RSA Mustang is slightly warm so I'm concerned that using the D5000's and HE 400's will sound too warm & perhaps dark and lack that upfront cleanness & clarity. Has anyone got both the Meier Quickstep/2Stepdance (virtually the same amp) and the RSA Mustang?

I used to have both the P-51 and the Quickstep. I ended up selling the P-51. The Quickstep simply got the most listening time. It has better control and clarity and it feels like it has more power over the headphones. There is a bit more separation between instruments with the Quickstep. I have nothing bad to say about the P-51 though. It does everything very good. Battery time from the P-51 is much better than with the Quickstep - MUCH better. Like 50 hours vs. 15 hours. Size and portability also makes the P-51 a winner for some people. I just ended up listening to the Quickstep more because it has that extra control and punch. I never thought of the P-51 as a warm sounding amplifier and when compared to the Quickstep they are both close to neutral to my ears. 

In the end you might not prefer the Quickstep. The biggest difference is probably how the synergy is with the headphones you use. I Mostly used the T70p and T5p at the time I had both. They are both 32 Ohm and that might not be the best pairing with P-51? Also I have never heard D5000 nor the HE400s with either of the amps. I know that when I had the HD650 I also prefered them with the iQube better than with the P-51. I hope this can be of some help? 
normal_smile .gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #1,148 of 1,220
I used to have both the P-51 and the Quickstep. I ended up selling the P-51. The Quickstep simply got the most listening time. It has better control and clarity and it feels like it has more power over the headphones. There is a bit more separation between instruments with the Quickstep. I have nothing bad to say about the P-51 though. It does everything very good. Battery time from the P-51 is much better than with the Quickstep - MUCH better. Like 50 hours vs. 15 hours. Size and portability also makes the P-51 a winner for some people. I just ended up listening to the Quickstep more because it has that extra control and punch. I never thought of the P-51 as a warm sounding amplifier and when compared to the Quickstep they are both close to neutral to my ears. 

In the end you might not prefer the Quickstep. The biggest difference is probably how the synergy is with the headphones you use. I Mostly used the T70p and T5p at the time I had both. They are both 32 Ohm and that might not be the best pairing with P-51? Also I have never heard D5000 nor the HE400s with either of the amps. I know that when I had the HD650 I also prefered them with the iQube better than with the P-51. I hope this can be of some help? 
normal_smile%20.gif

Thanks. Whats the bass like on both amps?

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #1,149 of 1,220
Quote:
Thanks. Whats the bass like on both amps?

The bass is where I feel that the extra power of the Quickstep is best heard. It is more tight and fast in the Quickstep on my Beyerdynamic T5p. There is no or very little difference in the impact or amount of bass. It is just that little bit of extra control of the bass in the Quickstep. But once again it might be another result with a different headphone? The good thing with these two amplifiers is that they will probably do a good job with a large variety of headphones. The P-51 has three gain settings and the Quickstep has two. This means that they can be used with everything from very sensible IEMS to 300 Ohm headphones. None of them can take enough control of the T1 though.

Another important advantage to the Quickstep is its volume control. It just feels much better and there is no channel imbalance even at the lowest volume setting. This was different with my P-51 where there was a slight imbalance at the lowest levels. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #1,151 of 1,220
Are you gonna keep your Glacier?  I sent mine back this week.  I've got a C&C BH on the way (should be here by the end of the month).  I'm also gona mod my Ipod Video with a CF 600X 128G card, build a good quality lod and cables for my HD 25-1 II.  Looking forward to it.

Yeah, Im going to keep the Glacier for now as it's nice and warm. The reason Im looking at the Quickstep is that I want something more neutral to compliment the glacier. The C & C BH is good but not as good as what those around here have said. You can tell its not as good quality as the Glacier as its not as detailed although on first listen it appears so as its brighter. Its nowhere near as refined as the glacier.

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #1,152 of 1,220
The bass is where I feel that the extra power of the Quickstep is best heard. It is more tight and fast in the Quickstep on my Beyerdynamic T5p. There is no or very little difference in the impact or amount of bass. It is just that little bit of extra control of the bass in the Quickstep. But once again it might be another result with a different headphone? The good thing with these two amplifiers is that they will probably do a good job with a large variety of headphones. The P-51 has three gain settings and the Quickstep has two. This means that they can be used with everything from very sensible IEMS to 300 Ohm headphones. None of them can take enough control of the T1 though.

Another important advantage to the Quickstep is its volume control. It just feels much better and there is no channel imbalance even at the lowest volume setting. This was different with my P-51 where there was a slight imbalance at the lowest levels. 

Sounds like the Quickstep is the way to go. Is there anywhere I can get a cheap 15v wall power supply for it?

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #1,153 of 1,220
Quote:
Sounds like the Quickstep is the way to go. Is there anywhere I can get a cheap 15v wall power supply for it?

You can find a few suggestions in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/507835/meier-audio-quickstep-also-stepdance-and-2stepdance-discussion-and-impressions-thread/2010
From page 135 and onwards.

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #1,155 of 1,220
Quote:
Yeah, Im going to keep the Glacier for now as it's nice and warm. The reason Im looking at the Quickstep is that I want something more neutral to compliment the glacier. The C & C BH is good but not as good as what those around here have said. You can tell its not as good quality as the Glacier as its not as detailed although on first listen it appears so as its brighter. Its nowhere near as refined as the glacier.

I liked the Glacier.  Mine had a lot of hiss and after I turned it down to the point that it was gone I could max our the volume on a lot of music that still left me wanting for more.  I told Todd about this and he said he would test it.  This is through my Hd25-1 II.  

Through my Note 2 via OTG and to the glacier it was great but not significantly better than the Headstreamer Mobile I had.  It was a bit faster but I think that ws due to the fact that the Glacier is significantly louder.  Through my Ipod video 5.5 via LOD it was OK not great.  I was using a Fiio LOD but still not as impressive.  I know that the LOD is not as good as going to DAC/Amp but.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back