RSA MUSTANG P-51 . little amp BIG sound . image 1, 28, 30, 55, 59, 61 Reviews, 30, 34 . Post images . Monitors pg 1
Dec 10, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #346 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by yihyan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my not burned in P51, Atrio doesn't goes well with it.....

Hmm, then I'll hope it gets better with burn-in.
wink.gif
Thanks for the input.

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #349 of 1,220
So here is pic of my new portable rig
smily_headphones1.gif
Aluminum MacBook - Moon Blue Dragon cable - P51 Mustang - v.3 Darth.
Yup, they combine surprisingly well together - good synergy here. For awhile I was going to sell these least of my Darths. No longer.

newPortableRig.jpg

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #350 of 1,220
My Xmas present came
bigsmile_face.gif

Yes, it is something for myself as a 'reward' for listening to all the crap in 2008.
L3000.gif

This one is to give my ears some heaven when paired with the Westone UM-2.
beyersmile.png

THE Ray Samuel Audio P-51 Mustang Headphone Amplifier

ann23l.jpg

25j9wde.jpg

e9jcph.jpg

2drbf2h.jpg

6f4b4y.jpg

mh8u9c.jpg

Charging and burning in time!
icon10.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #351 of 1,220
SierraHotel01-
Thanks to your comments, I've now entered into yet another deep rabbit hole of money in this insane portable audio world... the amp. Your comments prompted me to try the Mustang- it should be in transit any day now. I'll be using it with the Westone 3 too, and the Sony NWZ-A829 dap. I'm hoping for audio nirvana..... I always swore to myself I'd stay away from portable amps, because they seemed to defeat the idea of an uber-portable rig, but in seeing the pictures of how tiny this Mustang is, I couldn't resist this aspect of portable audio anymore.

Thanks SOOOO much for taking another chunk out of my wallet........

Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mustang showed up via Fedex a day early.

(Fedex is great - didn't even have a tracking number, and when I called, they actually called the driver and told him to deliver it today - not wait until tomorrow as scheduled. Then they called me back and told me when the driver would arrive - within 5 minutes!)

OK:
I absolutely LOVE my Tomahawk. It was a sound epiphiny when I first plugged into it, and it's only gotten better since.

I actually had myself prepared for an incremental only change in SQ.

Figured the "big pole in the tent" was my new Westone 3's.

New IEM's, especially ones as special as the 3's (sent to planet Earth from another galaxy) would be expected to influence the signal train SQ more than a slight amp upgrade, right?

WRONG!

I've been raving about the 3's for most of a week now, and couldn't imagine any significant SQ improvement, no matter what amp I plugged them into.

Again, WRONG!

With apologies & kudos to Ray Samuels (simultaneously) :

Now, after a taste of the Mustang, listening through the Tomahawk is: "like kissing your sister".

WOW!!!

Thank you Ray; THANK YOU!

Three-word summary: transparency, detail & punch.

Listening to the Tomahawk now, is like going back to PK2's, after listening to the Westone 3's. It's that big a delta!

Let's start at the bottom:
low frequencies extend significantly lower than the Tomahawk - and they are MUCH tighter, less muddy (although the Tomahawk's bass never, ever sounded muddy to me, UNTIL I tasted the Mustang - now it does). Ray has made the bass passband as crisp and clear as a well rendered high frequency passband - it's like the bass has air, as well razor sharp attack, and everything else!

Mids: it's like I was looking through a window - with the Tomahawk, and the window was covered by a thin layer of vaseline (blurry).

With the Mustang, it's like someone just Windexed the window! Crystal clear, yet as sweet as you can imagine.

Highs: This portion of the frequency spectrum is like:
listening to a band play from the alley outside (with the Toomahawk)
versus, walking inside and sitting in the front row - getting ALL the "air" and detail you were missing outside.

Entire spectrum - Attack: the Mustang is razor sharp, even compared to the Tomahawk, which I used to think was detailed. Not even close.

Decay: as natural as I've ever heard.

Synergy with W3's: uncanny!!!

First musical "test vector" I ran through the Mustang was Ray's "Bella Sonus: Enamoured" album (my #1 go-to test of a new component)

Sounds like I just walked into the room where they were playing.

Holy freakin' CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it's that good (especially with the 3's)

PS: know anyone who wants to buy a lovingly used 1,000 hour Tomahawk?

I'm done now, for awhile.

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #352 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be using it with the Westone 3 too, and the Sony NWZ-A829 dap.

Think about getting a small Nano and you will be fine.
The Sony sounds awesome without amp.

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #353 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think about getting a small Nano and you will be fine.
The Sony sounds awesome without amp.

Yeah, you're quite right about that. I am just hoping it improves the Sony even more.

Dec 10, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #354 of 1,220
I ordered a P-51 also and trying to pair it up with a nano. I'm trying to trim down my 'portable rig' which consists of a Zune 80 velco'd to an iqube. My only concern is that since I got a 16GB 4G nano instead of the older one just for the capacity, the size/shape of the nano won't work very well with the P-51. The P-51 also seems too small for an ipod classic since it is only half the footprint. What are people planning on doing when pairing up with a player?

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #356 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nano gen3.

x2 .... just placed an order for the refurbished one (8GB) from apple store. Then my Blackbird and iPod Classic will become a home based rig.

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #359 of 1,220
I velcro'd mine to the back of a 120 classic. I put a large majority of my lossless files on it and 4 movies which brought me to about 30gigs. Pulling songs on and off is something that I never really do. If I buy a nano with that intention, I know I would end up frustrated about the size and just leave it with 16g (probably more like 12g after the UI).

On another note, does anyone have a plastic wrap type sticky material on the base of their Mustang? Mine is usually making contact with the desk surface (ipod on top). A clear sticky plastic to protect it would be nice.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #360 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SierraHotel01-
Thanks to your comments, I've now entered into yet another deep rabbit hole of money in this insane portable audio world... the amp. Your comments prompted me to try the Mustang- it should be in transit any day now. I'll be using it with the Westone 3 too, and the Sony NWZ-A829 dap. I'm hoping for audio nirvana..... I always swore to myself I'd stay away from portable amps, because they seemed to defeat the idea of an uber-portable rig, but in seeing the pictures of how tiny this Mustang is, I couldn't resist this aspect of portable audio anymore.

Thanks SOOOO much for taking another chunk out of my wallet........

cn11:
Sorry for your wallet, ...but I'm doing this for your own good. You'll see.
(Enjoy the P-51)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back