Rooth demos: the evaluation of Rooth lineup – liquid clarity
Sep 25, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #106 of 189
  Honestly, Rooth has been having the same troubles as UM with regard to turnaround time, and traditionally, Rooth has suffered because UM often pulls their technicians over to make UM monitors instead to make ends meet. Hopefully, with the upcoming expansion and overhaul, Rooth will have a more stable turnaround time. I heard they recently hired a couple more people, so perhaps that'll help.

Yeah I knew about the delay also. They are also doing expansion and this time it seems that they procured a new 3d scanning and printing machine and incorporating this machine in the manufacturing process has bogged them down due to training and stuff.

Good to have to have some insights into the reasons behind the delay. Thanks. By the looks of things, Rooth are undergoing a period of positive change. 

Is this yours? Looks like the first LS10 is done...

Post by Rooth Professional Audio - Taiwan.

Nice! Looking forward to your impressions.

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #107 of 189

Good to have to have some insights into the reasons behind the delay. Thanks. By the looks of things, Rooth are undergoing a period of positive change. 

Nice! Looking forward to your impressions.

Thanks. I would hold off definite impressions after 200 hrs or so. But first impressions are very very nice, I changed the stock cable to Toxic Silver Widow and immediately the sound seems louder and clearer with better bass definition with the stock cable. The craftsmanship is top notch. 

Further impressions will follow as soon as I burn it in.

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #108 of 189
  Thanks. I would hold off definite impressions after 200 hrs or so. But first impressions are very very nice, I changed the stock cable to Toxic Silver Widow and immediately the sound seems louder and clearer with better bass definition with the stock cable. The craftsmanship is top notch. 

Further impressions will follow as soon as I burn it in.

I'm with you with the Silver Widow - am currently using it with the 1plus2 and rate it higher than any other cable I've owned. I'm using the Virus with the AUD-8X, and will be demo'ing the Black Widow with the LS8+. The litz technology Frank is using for his new cables has set a new sonic standard for me.

Enjoy your first 200 hours! 

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #109 of 189
Rooth must be on a roll - I just received mine.

Fit is spot on and seal is flawless. Build quality is the best I've seen.

It looks like they've filled the canals with silicone, which is a bonus.

Now, must try to think up away to get rid of the wife and kids for the evening... 
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #110 of 189
  It looks like they've filled the canals with silicone, which is a bonus.

Congratulations~~

But really, they filled the canals with silicone? That's a first that I've heard. Maybe they changed up their SOP... Interesting --- thanks for that tidbit.

I've been considering getting Rooth to do me a special remold project, but that'll require a special combination of drivers and a proof of concept first, so it won't be 'til much later. Rooth would just be the one stuffing the shells and verifying the FR, etc. --- you know, the simple stuff, hah.

Sep 26, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #111 of 189
So it seems Rooth is doing more efficiently than UM at the moment even though the 2 share the same technician team eh? Congrats to those received their new toys!

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #112 of 189

Congratulations~~

But really, they filled the canals with silicone? That's a first that I've heard. Maybe they changed up their SOP... Interesting --- thanks for that tidbit.

I've been considering getting Rooth to do me a special remold project, but that'll require a special combination of drivers and a proof of concept first, so it won't be 'til much later. Rooth would just be the one stuffing the shells and verifying the FR, etc. --- you know, the simple stuff, hah.

Special remold project eh? Sounds interesting! I look forward to hearing about it.

I could be wrong about the silicone filled canals, but they certainly look like they are. They look similar (and isolate better) than my AUD-8X, which I know for sure have silicone filled canals. Take a look and see what you think:

And anyone curious to build quality generally:

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #113 of 189
vyvunuge.jpg

Received my LSX5 after 7 weeks. Enjoying it so far!

Sent from my HTC Butterfly S

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #114 of 189
Nice! And 7 weeks is a decent wait time, too

I'm very curious about the LSX5, perhaps due to Tomscy2000 and Average_Joes comparisons to the LS8+. I think LSX5 (custom) vs 1plus2 would also make a very interesting comparison.

One thing that's sure from the onset, is the LS8+ has very powerful bass (more in quantity than 1plus2) and highly detailed / extended treble, which is also very smooth. It sounds less sibilance prone than the more aggressive sounding 1plus2, a least at this initial stage.

Unfortunately for my ears, the LS8+ also appears to be one of those phones that sounds equally good loud. A temptation that's difficult to resist! Although it could be classed as on the bright side, it's certainly not at all cold, nor thin. Note thickness appears neutral. Very nice over all balance with exceptional clarity.

Ok, ok... no more comments until further listening (have only 12 hours listening thus far).

Sep 27, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #115 of 189
I'm very curious about the LSX5, perhaps due to Tomscy2000 and Average_Joes comparisons to the LS8+. I think LSX5 (custom) vs 1plus2 would also make a very interesting comparison.

One thing that's sure from the onset, is the LS8+ has very powerful bass (more in quantity than 1plus2) and highly detailed / extended treble, which is also very smooth. It sounds less sibilance prone than the more aggressive sounding 1plus2, a least at this initial stage.

Unfortunately for my ears, the LS8+ also appears to be one of those phones that sounds equally good loud. A temptation that's difficult to resist! Although it could be classed as on the bright side, it's certainly not at all cold, nor thin. Note thickness appears neutral. Very nice over all balance with exceptional clarity.

Of Rooth's colored offerings, I prefer the LS8+ for its silky U-shaped response, and the LS4 for its slightly dark tonality. The LS-X5 is not to my personal liking, though average_joe seems to like it more than me. For neutrality, the LS6 is very, very good. It's on par with the UERM, better than the pre-FreqPhase JH13, and its own flavor

Regarding an LS-X5 vs. 1Plus2 comparison, the X5 would definitely have more mid-bass, and be more mid-forward sounding. I haven't heard either in a very long time, though.

BTW, I read somewhere (forgot where) that someone has been telling people that the LS-X5 and the UM Merlin has the same crossover configuration --- that's impossible. They two don't even use the same drivers, and have a different sound tube configuration (three vs. two). The LS-X5 shares much more in common with the LS8+.

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #117 of 189

Of Rooth's colored offerings, I prefer the LS8+ for its silky U-shaped response, and the LS4 for its slightly dark tonality. The LS-X5 is not to my personal liking, though average_joe seems to like it more than me. For neutrality, the LS6 is very, very good. It's on par with the UERM, better than the pre-FreqPhase JH13, and its own flavor

Regarding an LS-X5 vs. 1Plus2 comparison, the X5 would definitely have more mid-bass, and be more mid-forward sounding. I haven't heard either in a very long time, though.

BTW, I read somewhere (forgot where) that someone has been telling people that the LS-X5 and the UM Merlin has the same crossover configuration --- that's impossible. They two don't even use the same drivers, and have a different sound tube configuration (three vs. two). The LS-X5 shares much more in common with the LS8+.

U-shaped seems like a fair description. The extent of the coloration surprised me initially, actually. Perhaps because I'm coming from fairly neutral sets. The bass certainly isn't taking any prisoners, and is more 'ever-present' than anything else I've heard in this league (which granted, isn't much). Makes stoner and doom rock a real treat, not to mention hard electronic music.  

I remember reading a similar thing about the Merlin / LSX5, though I'm fairly sure it was addressed appropriately at the time by somebody in the know. By the sounds of it, they have little in common other than the number of drivers.    

How's the isolation with the LS8+? I'm guessing the insertion is not as deep because of the space needed to fit the 3 bores.

No, the insertion is deep actually. It's deeper than the AUD-8X, which has 4 bores. Isolation is the best I've had, customs or otherwise. The shells ooze precision.  

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #119 of 189
Ha, no... I have small ears and medium canals (use medium silicone tips with universals). See how the 1plus2 and LS8+ compare in size:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back