Romi Audio - The official thread
Mar 2, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #556 of 928
Honestly man, I flat out don't think you can attribute things like aggression, smoothness, or even timbral warmth to FR. For example, the 789 and AHB2 measure basicaly exactly the same and impart zero FR change while one is quite agressive and the other is just not.

The modi 3 and holo may are another great set if examples. 0 FR change on either (both measure absaluteky excelently), but the modi can be quite timbraly cold and flat while the may has much more body to the notes.
See, and here we are back again to cables, which also measure the same but - to me and many others - sound different. To be honest, I don’t know why. Most of us don’t. Maybe no one. Doesn’t matter as long as we enjoy what we are listening to! Cheers 😎

Mar 2, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #557 of 928
I am more than happy if things sound different, while we are not (yet) able to measure it. It is just sometimes difficult to buy blindly online, without first being able to audition. Equipment in general provides a function, so you need a dac/amp/headphones, right. Choosing which one is the easiest if you can choose to audition at home. I have one expensive cable that I bought because it provided better ergonomics than the stock one, so I was more than happy to pay the price. But without impressions of others, comparing directly stock/upgraded cable, I would not know what to think. Now, can you remove psychology from the equation? Some may be biased because of the price against something, unwilling to try (since they would have to pay upfront and sell for a loss). Others may feel buyers remorse, for not getting the results they read about, and some may be happy convincing themselves it was worth it, no matter what. This being said, I honestly believe in Pirsig's saying "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you."

Mar 2, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #558 of 928
See, and here we are back again to cables, which also measure the same but - to me and many others - sound different. To be honest, I don’t know why. Most of us don’t. Maybe no one. Doesn’t matter as long as we enjoy what we are listening to! Cheers 😎

I mean, being on the same page as to what audio terms mean is kind of paramount to discussing sound quality.....

Mar 2, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #559 of 928
What we hear and how we describe what we hear is 100% subjective. In the "About Me" on the my blog, I am very clear, I hear what I hear, and you can't tell me what I hear, it is impossible. Never base a purchase on my opinion alone, too much responsibility in that. To prove this, have you ever had a day where your most sublime gear from the day before didn't check your boxes the next? We all have. You may say the Legend X is over the top bass, I may say it is bass focused but balanced across the board. Neither is right or wrong, we are dealing with subjectivity.

Mar 2, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #560 of 928
What we hear and how we describe what we hear is 100% subjective. In the "About Me" on the my blog, I am very clear, I hear what I hear, and you can't tell me what I hear, it is impossible. Never base a purchase on my opinion alone, too much responsibility in that. To prove this, have you ever had a day where your most sublime gear from the day before didn't check your boxes the next? We all have. You may say the Legend X is over the top bass, I may say it is bass focused but balanced across the board. Neither is right or wrong, we are dealing with subjectivity.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1614049890178.jpg
    FB_IMG_1614049890178.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0
Mar 2, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #561 of 928
I have read about a dozen or so pages here and so far the Romi amp owners seem to be from Europe and Asia. Have any of you USA residents purchase directly from Romi? I know I can contact them directly but would like to hear if there are satisfied customers here that would recommend purchasing from them

Be careful. Romi is a small HK based shop and as far as I know they have no distribution in our part of the globe. If you buy a Romi app and there's a problem sending it back could be a costly hassle. Romi really needs to put landed inventory into the hands of ShenzhenAudio to sell through Fulfilled by Amazon.

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #562 of 928
Just received BX2-Plus for my Chord Hugo 2 and Abyss Diana V2 and I must say, wow. I originally decided to buy Hugo 2 over iFi Diablo, as I found its DAC more natural sounding (for any music that has real instruments in it, or human voice), but found it lacking for EDM (made up sounds that I cannot compare to real life, here Diablo was better than Hugo as it had enough power to drive them). Now that I have paired Hugo 2 with BX2-Plus, EDM became amazing again. Not much was changed in the presentation/resolution/tonality, it just feels as if now Hugo 2 finally had enough juice to power Dianas. It really is a best (and physically super light to my surprise) of a portable amp. I see others stacking Hugo 2 with BX2-Plus using leather cases and shorter interconnects, I might as well do that!

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #563 of 928
Just received BX2-Plus for my Chord Hugo 2 and Abyss Diana V2 and I must say, wow. I originally decided to buy Hugo 2 over iFi Diablo, as I found its DAC more natural sounding (for any music that has real instruments in it, or human voice), but found it lacking for EDM (made up sounds that I cannot compare to real life, here Diablo was better than Hugo as it had enough power to drive them). Now that I have paired Hugo 2 with BX2-Plus, EDM became amazing again. Not much was changed in the presentation/resolution/tonality, it just feels as if now Hugo 2 finally had enough juice to power Dianas. It really is a best (and physically super light to my surprise) of a portable amp. I see others stacking Hugo 2 with BX2-Plus using leather cases and shorter interconnects, I might as well do that!

Attachments

• b90cc1588807a24e66858b8446662d22.jpg
    b90cc1588807a24e66858b8446662d22.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 0
Mar 4, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #564 of 928

Welcome to the club! Glad that you decided to get the BX-2+. It‘s one hell of a portable amp, Diana V2 rocks with it!

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #566 of 928
Mar 4, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #567 of 928
I would also like to report that with Hugo 2, BX2-Plus does not seem to emit any distortion due to Hugo's lack of "true" line out (bypassing amp section, as the section is integrated in the FPGA, so you are double amping directly). I read reports for other amps, that have seen some distortion with Hugo 2 (and other DACs/DAPs without true line out), the fix there was to use low gain or put it to preamp mode if the amp offered it (like Cayin C9 does). With BX2-plus, I am using High gain for my Dianas and I do not hear any distortion when Hugo 2 is in its line out. I was searching for this information but did not find it anywhere, so I hope it helps someone who is worried about this, before making a decision to buy.

== EDIT ==

Did some further testing to see if I can get hissing or distortion. If I have Hugo 2 in Line Out and BX2 in High gain, I can't go over 12 o'clock or else it hurts my ears. Now, if I reduce Hugo's volume to yellow and go max volume with BX2 I hear the noise floor (with music a little, without music a lot). On the other extreme, if I go above Hugo's Line Out (which is purple, so if I go to white colour volume territory) I can hear distortion when music is playing.

So in practical terms, Hugo 2 is best left on Line Out setting when using BX2-Plus, having it control the volume. This differs from what I read about Cayin C9, where pre-amp mode was better suited for Hugo 2, having it control the volume.

As far as channel imbalance goes, BX2-Plus has a slight left channel being louder than the right one (exactly like iFi Diablo). To illustrate the point, let's say BX2-Plus volume knob starts at 7, then the channel imbalance is present until maybe 7:30, at 8 it is already gone and at 9-11 where I listen to it with Diana, it is absolutely perfect.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #568 of 928
Awesome info on the bx2+ and h2 combo!

Quick question for yall more experienced in the desktop side of things. I have seen several statements saying they can't distinguish the bx2+ from the Broadway for diana which honestky feel kind of hyperbolic so I was looking to get some second opinions. I was wondering where you guys would rank the bx2+ in terms of comparing against desktop amps. This is entierlt just a currious question to try and get a better idea of the performance tbh.

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #569 of 928
I can’t answer your question yet, but here is what I am working towards. Owning Romi BX2-Plus, Cayin C9 (that has been compared to XI Broadway) and Violetic HPA V281 (that has been compared to XI Formula S without powerman; or Head Amp GSX Mini). I can’t really use XI Broadway, as it does not have RCAs in (for my Hugo’s RCAs out). I thought of buying GSX Mini instead of V281, but where I live it comes with 3 year warranty and I don’t have to pay an import tax, so if they are playing in the same league, it is worth for me. My theory right now is V281 over Broadway/C9 over BX2-Plus. I have seen folks sell their Broadway, as after getting C9 the performance was comparable, while being battery powered, transportable and with more options for the input. Hope this partial assessment helps.

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #570 of 928
Hello fellow BX2+ owners

I just pulled the plug on the BX2+ this morning to pair up with my Shanling M8. I need some advice on best inter-connect to go for to maintain a good balance of battery life together with enough power to drive the monitors.

Phones being powered are as follows

IEM - Campfire Solaris 2020
HPs Dynamic - Sony MDR-Z7M2
HPs Planar - HiFiMan Arya, HiFiMan HE400i 2020, Gold Planar GL2000

Would it be best to go 4.4 to 4.4 OR 3.5 to 3.5?

I'm not sure if I'm going to need all the power of the BX2+ running balanced for the above monitors.

The only one in the list that might require balanced are the GL2000 which are showing the following specs.

Impedance 60ohms
Magnetic type N52 Neodymium
Driver dimension 112.5×83mm
Sensitivity 99dB
THD <0.1%THD
Frequency 4Hz-50KhHz
Driver Diaphragm planar driver
Recommend Power At least 2W

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back