RoCoo P DAP - Full Review
Oct 23, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #436 of 505
Quote:
Yeah my Studio V had 4 screws in the back that I was able to remove to gain access to inside the player. I'm not sure about the Rocoo but I know it also has a plastic back-plate that must be removed to gain access to the screws (if any).

Yeah seems in their infinite wisdom, they bonded the bach plate.

Well a word with mr stanley knife will put paid to that.

If it gets too bad i'll buy a c3 asap.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #438 of 505
Yeah i managed it with a pair of tweezers, seemed to be the best way.

Anyway all fixed, it was the two top screws holding the board in place, they were bouncing around inside.

All screwed in nice and tight now, and touch wood all is fine, i actually don't mind it plan black on the back, nice and understated.

It has me tempted to knock up some sort of spacer, so i can throw in a massive battery.

Very tempting.............

I mean it only used your typical li-ion mobile battery anyway, so a nice extended one would fit very nicely methinks.

Anyone done it?

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #439 of 505
I mean it only used your typical li-ion mobile battery anyway, so a nice extended one would fit very nicely methinks.

Anyone done it?

If the voltage is correct maybe a Cowon D2+ replacement battery found on ebay might fit the bill.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #440 of 505
Quote:
If the voltage is correct maybe a Cowon D2+ replacement battery found on ebay might fit the bill.

Bingo!!

Same voltage and cables, with a protected pcb.

I'll get around to it asap, even if it won't fit i can always knock up something that i can stick to the back.

Battery life on this little unit it one of my main bugbears.

Check out the A2 battery, 4200mah.

Anyway i'll grab the D2 battery tomorrow, and see what i can manage, even if i break the rocoo it's no biggie just gives me all the more reason to buy a c3, so i may as well play with this unit.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #442 of 505
Quote:
Bingo!!

Same voltage and cables, with a protected pcb.

I'll get around to it asap, even if it won't fit i can always knock up something that i can stick to the back.

Battery life on this little unit it one of my main bugbears.

Check out the A2 battery, 4200mah.

Anyway i'll grab the D2 battery tomorrow, and see what i can manage, even if i break the rocoo it's no biggie just gives me all the more reason to buy a c3, so i may as well play with this unit.

that sounds like a great little project, if possible take some pictures of the whole process...
popcorn.gif

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #443 of 505
Will do, anyway battery has been ordered, along with a c3 just for fun.

Now question is, can i run both batteries, i mean they have a pcb so will shut off when the voltage is met.

Hmmm.......

I have my old fiio e7, the dac unit is fubared so im wondering, if i drill some boles for the buttons, perhaps i could fit the board in there and use th 4200mah battery from the a2.

I'll stick with this for now anyway, the fiio seems to use a similar sized display and jack placement.

Just have to buy a bigger sd card won't i.

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #444 of 505
Quote:
Will do, anyway battery has been ordered, along with a c3 just for fun.

Now question is, can i run both batteries, i mean they have a pcb so will shut off when the voltage is met.

Hmmm.......

I have my old fiio e7, the dac unit is fubared so im wondering, if i drill some boles for the buttons, perhaps i could fit the board in there and use th 4200mah battery from the a2.

I'll stick with this for now anyway, the fiio seems to use a similar sized display and jack placement.

Just have to buy a bigger sd card won't i.

Nice! Can you do a thorough comparison between your Rocoo P and C3? I wanna know if the Rocoo P is really mediocre in sound in comparison :).

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #445 of 505
Quote:
Nice! Can you do a thorough comparison between your Rocoo P and C3? I wanna know if the Rocoo P is really mediocre in sound in comparison :).

Certainly can, but so far im liking the c3. Very odd menu system at first, it took me a while to get used to it.

As for the D2 battery, oh it's a tight one, it won't fit without some machining.

There are rails that the backplate sits on, anyway those need to be ground close to where the threads are, only then will it stand a chance of fitting.

The D2 battery is exactly the same width as the unit, you couldn't ask for a tighter fit.

But i'll give it a try for sure, i just have a lot on and i'll need to source me another dremel, unless i can find me old one.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #446 of 505
Quote:
Try delete the system folder.

Thanks i did that. but it didn't work.. Average start-up time is 1.30 minutes. When i try to open a folder from my sd-card  (in this case the top 500 from rolling stone magazine) it takes me another 1,30 minutes. And i found out it's because of the sd-card that it's this slow. When i remove the SD-card the loading time is within 5 seconds. I love the sound quality from the rocoo P but in everyday use the loading time is really starting to annoy me. Does anybody have an idea to reduce the horribly long loading time? maybe i just sell the rocoo p and get a colorfly c3 instead..

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #447 of 505
Quote:
Thanks i did that. but it didn't work.. Average start-up time is 1.30 minutes. When i try to open a folder from my sd-card  (in this case the top 500 from rolling stone magazine) it takes me another 1,30 minutes. And i found out it's because of the sd-card that it's this slow. When i remove the SD-card the loading time is within 5 seconds. I love the sound quality from the rocoo P but in everyday use the loading time is really starting to annoy me. Does anybody have an idea to reduce the horribly long loading time? maybe i just sell the rocoo p and get a colorfly c3 instead..

Did you clean your tags? I posted on how to do this on the mp3tag faq page. I'll post a link to it. Follow the directions and it should help. If you are using v3.2 tags it will cause the device to load slowly. My player takes about 45 seconds to load and that is with 2,300 songs mostly FLAC and a couple mp3s.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/mp3tag-setup-guide

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #448 of 505
Lee730 is right, I used his tutorial and have a 16gb card in mine with maybe 1000 tracks. About 50/50 Flac and 320kb mp3s; takes about 10 seconds max to get to the scrolling "now playing" display.

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #449 of 505
Hey man,
Excellent Review! I'm thinking of ordering one. However, not sure if I should get this or the Rocoo BA player. I have a Shure se535 that I used for portability. Can anyone suggest the  best option for this earphone? Thanks! :)

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #450 of 505
Quote:
Hey man,
Excellent Review! I'm thinking of ordering one. However, not sure if I should get this or the Rocoo BA player. I have a Shure se535 that I used for portability. Can anyone suggest the  best option for this earphone? Thanks! :)

Both are great players, Rocoo BA would definitely  be most recommended for your Shure's which are well known to be quite sensitive. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back