RoCoo P DAP - Full Review
Apr 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #331 of 505
I'm interested in getting either a ROCOO - P or ROCOO BA.

However, some reviews report "hissing" in the ROCOO - P.  Although other reviews don't mention any hiss at all.

I really don't like any hiss in my music, would the ROCOO BA be the best option?  I'm a little wary because: 

1) there are no reviews on the SQ of the BA, but plenty of positive reviews on the ROCOO P.
2) it's 80 dollars more 
3) apparently it outputs less power than the ROCOO - P.

So basically, I don't wanna spend more money on a device that has no reviews and potentially has worse SQ than the ROCOO - P.

Any words of wisdom/advice from head-fi members?

Apr 14, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #332 of 505
The Rocoo BA literally just came out man, it came onto their website within the last month. Gotta give it some time for reviews. Also, the BA is reported to be specifically designed for BA's, which I don't know if that means it will perform well with anything but BA based earbuds. Don't know why it wouldn't, but still many questions to be answered about the BA, and that's typical of a new device

Quote:

However, some reviews report "hissing" in the ROCOO - P.  Although other reviews don't mention any hiss at all.

I really don't like any hiss in my music, would the ROCOO BA be the best option?  I'm a little wary because: 

1) there are no reviews on the SQ of the BA, but plenty of positive reviews on the ROCOO P.
2) it's 80 dollars more 

So basically, I don't wanna spend more money on a device that has no reviews and potentially has worse SQ than the ROCOO - P.

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #333 of 505
I just ordered this bad boy (rocoo p) directly via hisoundaudio.com. They told me it will be deliverd in 15 days (I live in The Netherlands, europe). When i get it, i will write you guys a review. Can't wait!!

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #334 of 505
In fact that the ROCOO P's hiss level is acceptable for most earphones except some high sensitive customized IEMs. for there are thousands users prove it.

if you only have BA driver type earphones, we recommend you the ROCOO BA.

Here is the review and impression thread of ROCOO BA
http://www.head-fi.org/t/607258/hisoundaudio-rocoo-ba-rewiews-and-impressions

Thanks.

Quote:
Qusus said:

2) it's 80 dollars more 

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #335 of 505
Apr 30, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #336 of 505

Quote:

But what about hybrid IEM's? Is the Studio V the best option? 

If you are worried about hiss stick with the Rocoo BA. The Studio V is considered to have the best sound but its better suited with headphones or IEMs that aren't very sensitive. Otherwise you will hear hiss, just depends on if you are willing to deal with that.

May 10, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #337 of 505
Is it really normal for the player to reset to the 1st track after turning it on, when the last song played was from the memory card? I noticed that if the last song that was played (before it was turned off) was from the internal storage it would continue playing that song.

Thanks!

May 12, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #338 of 505
Hi Head-Fiers!
I am pretty new to this community but have been making unboxing and review videos here on my YouTube Channel:
TechSpotJapan Youtube 

I recently purchased a RoCoo-P and would like to use this space to post a review.

First, here are the basic scores that I give for each category:

Build Quality     : 8/10
Sound Quality   : 9/10
Design             : 8/10
UI                    : 5/10
--------------------------------
Overall             : 8/10

First Impressions

Out of the box, the sound that the RoCoo-P felt un-natural to me. It felt like the sound was tampered with in some way, such as an EQ.
So I checked the EQ settings, but it was set to nature, which I assume is the flat setting of this device. And since this was my first Non-iPod experience, the UI felt old.
These impressions has changed after using the device for a while. That is why I have decided to write up the review now.

Build Quality - 8/10

The devices main body is made out of metal which I assume is aluminum. It feels and is sturdy. All the ports also feel sturdy and feels like it will never break.
Now your probably thinking, "Why did you give a 8/10 instead of a 10/10?"
The -2 went to the front and back of the device.
It is very shiny and attractive, but is also a finger print magnet, and easily scratched.
I use my devices as if it was a baby. But it got scratched when putting it in the case I carry the RoCoo-P. It slightly touched the zipper of the case which created some scratches on the back.
I was pretty sad when I found this.

Sound Quality - 9/10

In my initial impressions I told you that it sounded un-natural, but my impressions has changed after using this device for a while. Did it burn in? or did my ears(brains) burn in? I am not sure, but what I can say is I am very happy with the sound now.
Compared the the iPod video(5g) that I own, it has a lot of energy and punch. But is also quiet when it needs to be.

Bass

The bass on this device is great. Lots of clarity and impact. Which might be one of the reasons the sound is energetic.

Mids

The Mids are amazing! Male/Female vocals are not getting muddled by the lows, and has lost of clarity. I hear sound that I have never heard on other devices.

Highs

I think I'm saying great or amazing for the Bass and Mids. But this goes the same for the Highs as well. The Highs sparkle but is not too harsh. They do not hurt your ears and are easy to listen to. This is also another aspect of making the sound exciting.

Sound stage

For a portable device, I would say that the sound stage is pretty broad. Of course it depends on the IEM's or Cans you use, but even if you listen to the same song on the iPod, the iPod sounds like its just ringing around your ear, where the RoCoo-P gives you an more spicy sound. The soundstage is broad but does not ruin the sound separation. Thanks the the broad sound stage and good sound separation, it sounds like your listening to the song in a live house or stage. 

Design - 8/10

This devices looks sexy. If you want the same sound quality with a iPod/iPhone, you basically need to strap a decent amp on it, and compared the that, it looks much sleeker and sexier.
This is kinda about the build quality, but the front and back were not that great, leaving design an 8.

UI - 5/10

This is probably one of this things I hate about the UI. I would say, it sucks.
Maybe because the I am used to iPods, but even after using the RoCoo for a while, I still think that there are many things that can be fixed. The UI is quite familiar with the SanDisk Sansa clip but no return button the the RoCoo, which confused me.

Conclusion

If you are a serious listener, or want more energy to your music. Or if you have an hi impedance headphone/IEM, I would say that this device is a buy! This devices sound amazing, and constantly keeps my head banging. I assume any device will sound better that an iPhone/iPod, but I personally think it sound better that an iPod amped, which is clunky compared to the small device.

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #339 of 505
Hello Head-fiers, my first post here!

I'm considering to buy a Rocoo P but i have some determining questions:

- How easy and fast is the browsing between a large quantity of files (ex. alphabetical browsing, genres, playlists) if the display is so small?
- There is a shuffle playback between all the files or just within folders?
- It's been said that the player has some hiss with highly sensitive IEMs, what can i expect if i pair it with Ety HF5 or Earsonics SM3 v2?

Thanks in advance!

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #342 of 505
I've had my Rocco P for little over a week and haven't been able to get it to list files on whatever Micro SD card I stick in it.
I have three different cards from different manufacturers, 8G,16G and 32G. The Rocco P isn't able to see any files on the cards.

I've followed instructions that I've found in this forum regarding re-installing firmware and formatting the memory cards via a PC utility tool but to no avail.

I have contacted Hiaudiosound who sent me a document containing posts from this site, no of which fixed the problem.

Has anyone also struggled with this, getting the Rocco P to play music from memory card? It works fine from internal memory.

Jun 23, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #344 of 505
Quote:
I've had my Rocco P for little over a week and haven't been able to get it to list files on whatever Micro SD card I stick in it.
I have three different cards from different manufacturers, 8G,16G and 32G. The Rocco P isn't able to see any files on the cards.

I've followed instructions that I've found in this forum regarding re-installing firmware and formatting the memory cards via a PC utility tool but to no avail.

I have contacted Hiaudiosound who sent me a document containing posts from this site, no of which fixed the problem.

Has anyone also struggled with this, getting the Rocco P to play music from memory card? It works fine from internal memory.

Are you copying directly from PC to the sd card mounted in the RoCoo? or in the PC then moving the msd over to the RoCoo?

The best formatter I found was https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/eula_windows/

Try this...if the RoCoo cannot see the cards at all, then there could be a h/w problem?, I did have some initial problems, but traced it down to 2 rogue sd cards. Once I'd reflashed the Rocoo and used decent msd's, everything has been fine. 

Sorry I cannot help more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back