Rockbox'ed Sansa Fuze opinions?
Apr 1, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #47 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ lol..how you deprived yourself of rockbox :p

Seriously. I'm not sure what I was smoking, but I should stay away from it from now on.

I checked that thing before... I swear... [size=small]I think...[/size] [size=x-small]I hope...[/size] [size=xx-small]I guess?[/size]

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #48 of 122
actually it's not that bad really. i would have no issues with the original firmware if it wasnt so stupid to navigate since I don't use EQ much really.

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #49 of 122
The original FW is horrid - I'll agree 100% with such an ejaculation. In fact, I don't use my Fuze because of it. Also, stock FW or just the sound is somewhat grainy through the midsection and I really don't like that. But I love the (okay, if I can forget the hiss and grain) performance with expensive armature earphones. For everything else, however, I prefer the iPod touch 2G and despite less suckout with the Fuze, I tend to stay with the iPod touch 2G. I just don't like the Fuze... at all. Rockbox would change all of that.

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #51 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by stew1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed a difference when I rockboxed my clip. I'd say the sound became more 3d and a bit more analytic. Some might find it to be less smooth but I think the sound settings rockbox gives you can more than compensate.

I still prefer the sound of the standard firmware but just slightly and the different builds also vary so it could depend on what was there originally. I don't care to EQ etc. but if I did, I'd definitely use Rockbox.

Apr 1, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #52 of 122
some of you guys might be interested in this....
ph34r.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kugel
We've fixed backlight and buttons to work properly now. Rockbox runs as well on the fuzev2 as on the clipv2/clip+ now, so give it a try
wink.gif

Rockbox on V2 Fuze? - Sansa Fuze - Page 2 - abi>>forums

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #55 of 122
I'm liking it so far, just did it today. Works pretty well. I am not an expert in audio, so I am still learning what some of the actual functions do
tongue_smile.gif
. I like the bass and treble boost options, it gives my SCL4 a nice little extra kick, while maintaining a pretty smooth sound
smile_phones.gif

Apr 3, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #56 of 122
So I gave this a try and I get an eror when I start up the Fuze stating "Loading Firmware File not found" and then it shuts off. If I use the left << as I turn it on I go to the regular firmware so it's not broken and i have restored the original OF once and that worked fine. I have left a message n the rockbox site but if anyone has any ideas on what I might be missing it would be appreciated.

For the record. I copied the two files mentioned in the thread to my system. Unzipped them (one created a folder called .rockbox with a whole swack of files inside the folder, and one created a file called fuzpa.bin) I then coppied these to the root of the internal drive on the Fuze. When I disconnected the Fuze it installed the firmware, I then did the left << wheel hold while strating up the Fuze. The Fuze then checked the media and was in it's normal firmware. I shut down the Fuze and when I started it up I never held down the << and it tried to load Rockbox with the error listed above.

I have tried copying over the bootloader file to the rockbox in an attempt to see if that would make a difference and this does not seem to do anything.

Any ideas?

The solution was to set the Fuze to MSC mode before copying the files over.

Man o man does this ever sound nice using rockbox! If I had known this was what I would be getting I might have found a V1 model. As it is I will use this dual boot for now and play with it. Very nice I like the Fuze both ways but when I want to EQ my music rockbox is the only way to go.

Apr 3, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #57 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll have to admit that the instructions don't help at least yet and I have a project I must finish which is a little more important, but I'd love to slough the stupidity of the OF.

Whats the difference between V1 and V2? I have a V2, and its not too bad.

Apr 3, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #58 of 122
From a rockbox perspective the V1 model is fully supported. The V2 is being developed. I have a V2 model and have to say I like the sound of the original firmware unamped. But I did throw on Rockbox in it's unfinished state just to see what the fuss was about and have to admit I was suprised. The EQ on the standard fuze is almost unusable IMO but the rockbox EQ qas very customizable and quite nice. Also the rockbox has games
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I have to find out how good other rockbox platforms are! If I could get an 80GB Ipod and rockbox it for a cheap price that might be pretty cool as I could then use straight flac files! But I want to know how the sound would be from one first as I really like the sound I get from the Fuze with my IE8.

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #59 of 122
Rockbox kicks ass. My iRiver H332 still gets use because of rockbox and its inherent sound quality.

My 80GB 5.5G seems to be having issues with rockbox lately though, so I might need to reformat and reinstall everything.

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #60 of 122
Has the Sansa Fuze V2 worked the kinks out yet? I have a brand new Fuze with a microSDHC 8gb card in, Version:V02.03.31A.

-Should I rockbox it? I went to the website but it is unclear... Status?

-What is this I'm reading about games I can put on it? How is that accomplished?

-How easy is it to reset the device after successfully or unsuccessfully rockboxing it?

-Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back