Rockbox'ed Sansa Fuze opinions?
Feb 6, 2010 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 122

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone have a Rockbox'ed Sansa Fuze and what do they think of it?
I have a v1 Sansa Fuze and I'm contemplating switching it to Rockbox.
Any opinions / descriptions would be great.

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 122
well try it urself, it is pretty easy to Rockbox the fuze now and u can always dual boot
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 122
I run Rockbox 3.5 on my Sansa c250 and I find it indispensable. Just gives you that little bit of extra ooomph to get you over the edge...it goes to 11.

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have a Rockbox'ed Sansa Fuze and what do they think of it?
I have a v1 Sansa Fuze and I'm contemplating switching it to Rockbox.
Any opinions / descriptions would be great.

Well, I don't own a Fuze (though I do want one), but I have a v1 Sansa e260 running RockBox and I love it: crossfeed, crossfade, ReplayGain, flac support, themes, radio presets... lovely !

cheers!

Feb 6, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #8 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes

Awesome! I've got a recertified 8GB Fuze coming, and I hope it's a V1. That with Rockbox and a 32GB micro SD card (if they ever come out...) would be all the DAP I need.

Feb 6, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #9 of 122
I've recently Rockbox'ed my 8gb Sansa Fuze and love it. I paired the Fuze with TF10vi and, in my opinion, thought it lacked some treblem so I increased it and now the combo sounds better to me.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 122
is there any different in the sound signature of the fuze with rockbox compared to stock firmware?

got a v1 fuze coming in a couple days and considering rockboxing it but not sure yet

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 122
I noticed a difference when I rockboxed my clip. I'd say the sound became more 3d and a bit more analytic. Some might find it to be less smooth but I think the sound settings rockbox gives you can more than compensate.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #12 of 122
Lucky me it was a v.01. So I bought in hopes of rockboxing. And YES! I WIN.

So those details out of the way...

On to the rockbox...

You get well hammered on Firmware. ROCKbox. Which comes with the "featureset" including: Custom Channel Configuration, Stereo Widening, Crossfeed!!!, Graphical EQ (with frequency filtration, wideness, and levels of course), as well as dithering, and then ReplayGain with a preamp level, and clipping prevention.

NICE toolbox.

HERE is my ROCKbox setup. I like it loud, I like it wide, I like it dynamic n 3D. its killz. Play around, adjust to your taste. Its an endpoint for me, maybe a pistolshot to begin the race for you? Have Fun / Ask Questions.

--------------------------------

a ROCKbox EQ adapted from the Head-Fi.org user HiFlight's settings as reposted on Xin's Cool Talk forum.

Modified after much twiddlesomesuchnessessnes by YOURS TRULY with much experiental toying with a range of COWON, iRiver, and other DAPs... and now the s:flo2, and re-fixed on the sansa Fuze.

here goes:

Channel Configuration:
Custom

Stereo Width:
250%

Crossfeed:
Crossfeed: Yes
Direct Gain: -3.5dB
Cross Gain: -6.5dB
High Frequency Attenuation: -16.5dB
High Frequency Cutoff: 700Hz

Graphical EQ:

LS: 9.0 dB / 20Hz / 6.0 Q
PK1: -3.0dB /600Hz / 4.0 Q
PK2: 7.0dB / 4000Hz / 3.0 Q
PK3: -2.0dB / 8500Hz / 2.0 Q
HS: 4.0dB / 16000Hz / 5.0 Q

Dithering: Yes

ENJOY. this is an AWESOME SOUNDING setup. I enjoy it muchly on the ROCKboxed sansa Fuze v.01 hardware.

------------------------------------

as extracted from my post on iAUDIOphile.net's forums....

Additionally,

It is a very configurable firmware. You can always dump your settings to

Settings > Manage Settings > Save .cfg file
Settings > Manage Settings > Save Sound Settings
Settings > Manage Settings > Save Theme Settings

and then you will have completely backed up settings files from which to restore your rockbox state before monkeying around with anything.

OR

you can just copy your .rockbox folder on the device while on windows, macos, or linux and save it to another safe location as a full on backup. as a complete archival backup.

BTW, rockbox is 3-5 TIMES better than the Sansa Firmware to ME. it just has better audio renderering TO BEGIN WITH, and then you add the feature set and the crossfeed, the replaygain, the graphical EQ, the stereo widening.. its CAKE! that you get to eat too!

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #13 of 122
Great luck FLACvest! Mine is a V2 and I absolutely hate it for its gimpy (no, not that gimpy) file support, lack of gapless, bad EQ and the list goes on and on. It will remain in a drawer till Rockbox support comes along - or given away. It is horrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back