Rockbox Xduoo X3
May 12, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #2,326 of 2,617
I know which feature you're speaking of - I use it on my Rockboxed iPod Classic for podcasts and whatnot.

And yes, Rockbox on th X3 can do this. While playing, hold down the play button, then scroll through the list to "Pitch". It's at the very bottom of the list, so it's fastest to just scroll up 1 option, which will bring you to Pitch. In other words, hold down Play while playing, scroll up 1 and you're right there.

That's good, but you confirm you can change only the pitch, and consequently the speed, not the two parameters separately? Changing speed without altering the pitch is the best option obviously, let me know!

May 12, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #2,327 of 2,617
That's good, but you confirm you can change only the pitch, and consequently the speed, not the two parameters separately? Changing speed without altering the pitch is the best option obviously, let me know!

Is that even possible? I thought that changing the speed will alter the pitch. How can it not?

May 12, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #2,328 of 2,617

I'll check my X3 and let you know. I usually don't do the 2 separately.

Consequently, the X3 code is based on the Sandisk Clip+ code (which does vary slightly from the iPod code). You strike me as the power user type, so if you want to check out the manual for all of the features, it's here:http://download.rockbox.org/daily/m...plus/rockbox-build.html#rockbox-buildch4.html

Note that some features like recording and FM is removed from the X3 port of the Clip+ code, as the X3 does not have that hardware.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #2,329 of 2,617
I'll check my X3 and let you know. I usually don't do the 2 separately.

Consequently, the X3 code is based on the Sandisk Clip+ code (which does vary slightly from the iPod code). You strike me as the power user type, so if you want to check out the manual for all of the features, it's here:http://download.rockbox.org/daily/m...plus/rockbox-build.html#rockbox-buildch4.html

Note that some features like recording and FM is removed from the X3 port of the Clip+ code, as the X3 does not have that hardware.

Thanks Slater, I found in the manual that you linked the exact procedure (which I didn't remember, but it was the same in the ipod) : in sound settings, enable Timestretch, and that allows you to change the playback speed without it affecting the pitch of the recording. I think it could work even in the X3, it was like one year ago or more that I found it in the ipod. Let me know!

May 12, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #2,330 of 2,617
Thanks Slater, I found in the manual that you linked the exact procedure (which I didn't remember, but it was the same in the ipod) : in sound settings, enable Timestretch, and that allows you to change the playback speed without it affecting the pitch of the recording. I think it could work even in the X3, it was like one year ago or more that I found it in the ipod. Let me know!

Cool, you learn something new every day :)

OK, I just checked and yes, it will do all of the things you want it to. The only downside is that the line of text in the very center is split (on my X3 anyways). I don't know if if is because of my text size settings, or if it's a bug due to the screen size difference between the X3 and Clip+. You can still read it, it's just split in half horizontally. I can take a photo if you care enough to see what I'm talking about. But like I said, it could just be my text size (which is set slightly larger than the stock size, and I also have a custom font). But you can still make the words out fine. The important thing (for you) is that the feature itself is there and works.

May 13, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #2,331 of 2,617
Thanks a lot Slater, hope it was helpful even for you, I take in account that the lcd in this player is not the greatest, maybe reducing the font can improve the possibility to show more rows of text.

I'm still a litte puzzled between buying X3 or repairing the ipod, which have the lcd broken, and that will be cheaper. Additionally I customized it with a flash card adapter some times ago, so is a bit of an advanced model.

Plus I liked the big screen and the easy navigation of the ipod, maybe you can give me some insight quality wise, if you like the X3 for music and you think that its a step further considering that you have both :D

Sorry for the "thinking loud" tone!

May 13, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #2,332 of 2,617
Thanks a lot Slater, hope it was helpful even for you, I take in account that the lcd in this player is not the greatest, maybe reducing the font can improve the possibility to show more rows of text.

I'm still a litte puzzled between buying X3 or repairing the ipod, which have the lcd broken, and that will be cheaper. Additionally I customized it with a flash card adapter some times ago, so is a bit of an advanced model.

Plus I liked the big screen and the easy navigation of the ipod, maybe you can give me some insight quality wise, if you like the X3 for music and you think that its a step further considering that you have both :D

Sorry for the "thinking loud" tone!

As far the text size on the X3, I would need new eyes if I am to make the text any smaller LOL

And I too have a modified iPod Classic (128GB SSD hard drive). I completely overhauled it when I modded it - it had literally new everything except the system board. New screen, battery, audio jack, click wheel, switches, case. I would say go ahead and get a new screen for it, but that's just the way I am. I believe in repairing your stuff to keep it in service as long as possible. Heck, my water heater is over 30 years old, and still works like new with basic maintenance and a few parts every 5-10 years...

May 13, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #2,333 of 2,617
As far the text size on the X3, I would need new eyes if I am to make the text any smaller LOL

And I too have a modified iPod Classic (128GB SSD hard drive). I completely overhauled it when I modded it - it had literally new everything except the system board. New screen, battery, audio jack, click wheel, switches, case. I would say go ahead and get a new screen for it, but that's just the way I am. I believe in repairing your stuff to keep it in service as long as possible. Heck, my water heater is over 30 years old, and still works like new with basic maintenance and a few parts every 5-10 years...

That's a very wise teach, it makes sense at multiple levels, if it "could" work, don't trash it :D
Well, cyborg eyes haven't been developed yet for human upgrading, and probably multinationals will rule the world by the time, so better stick with bigger fonts.

Thanks man, very appreciated. See around :)

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #2,335 of 2,617
Hi Guys,

Sorry to be bothering you folks but i bought one of these players and im quite interested on your take on how rockbox performs on the Xduoo X3.
I remember reading somewhere that feature wise the Rockbox is better but that the stock firmware still provides better "sound"?
Any info you can share ?

Regards

Francisco

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #2,336 of 2,617
I remember reading somewhere that feature wise the Rockbox is better but that the stock firmware still provides better "sound"?
Any info you can share ?

I have never understood how someone could find the stock firmware to provide better sound when it has a pitch error. Plus with no gapless play certain albums would be ruined for me.

Jun 6, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #2,337 of 2,617
I have never understood how someone could find the stock firmware to provide better sound when it has a pitch error. Plus with no gapless play certain albums would be ruined for me.

Agreed.

Rockbox sounds awesome on the X3, and is an extremely popular OS for dozens of DAPs (and has been for almost 20 years now).

It is very powerful and has boatloads of features.

There is a small learning curve though. It’s similar, but not as ‘dumbed down’ or ‘idiot proof’ as an iPod interface. There is extremely detailed and easy to read documentation to help, as well as all of us here on HeadFi.

Jun 11, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #2,338 of 2,617
Looking tor the link to the post(s) detailing what to do... when your X3 won't reset, shut down or fully boot to menus.
I was looking to do some file transferring at work and plugged into a free USB slot while the player was in the menus.
Normally, at home, this would trigger a charging screen with no ability to play while charging, etc.

Now, after unplugging and resetting I can't get it to go dark. Is there a button sequence w/reset that will put this thing to bed?
Thanks.

Jun 11, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #2,339 of 2,617
Looking tor the link to the post(s) detailing what to do... when your X3 won't reset, shut down or fully boot to menus.
I was looking to do some file transferring at work and plugged into a free USB slot while the player was in the menus.
Normally, at home, this would trigger a charging screen with no ability to play while charging, etc.

Now, after unplugging and resetting I can't get it to go dark. Is there a button sequence w/reset that will put this thing to bed?
Thanks.

Check the lock switch. Sounds like it’s in the locked position. Move it to the unlock position.

Otherwise, mine does that when the battery is dead. Plug it into a usb charger and allow to recharge (not a computer USB port).

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #2,340 of 2,617
OK, so my description was a little lite... I should have added that the lock switch will not change the situation. I flip to LOCK and reset. The original OS boot splash appears and stays lit. Can't get in or out. The problem is the same... It's gone 4hrs now in this permanently... aroused state. That's why I'm seeking "Dr.'s" advice.

The last few times (as in every) charging was via PC USB. I don't have an iPhone or other similarly "plugged" device to use an alternate power source. This has been adequately charged for days.

Thanks for the advice. Still no secret shut down key combo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back