Rockbox Xduoo X3
May 15, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #2,611 of 2,617
Anyone found a way to recover the original firmware when stuck in dual boot rockbox? I really miss that original sound, I wish I never messed with the firmware...
This thread has the answer to that question somewhere. You'll need a W7 pc, or W7 virtual machine to fix it. I did this fix years ago, but to me rocbox firmware sounds far better.(outside of my 2 dsd albums)

Jun 29, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #2,613 of 2,617
When I put the card in to slot 2 I get the message "No partition found for rockbox". Did you get this message and if so what was the fix?
I have not had this message.
Are you using the same card as before? You need to format the card to fat32, exfat/ntfs does not work. (you may need to put some effort into formatting a big (such as 128gb) card to fat32. It goes without saying that the .rockbox folder is also necessary. I have recently changed phones, so I have prepared a now unused 64gb card for rockbox & put it into slot 2, it works without a hitch.

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #2,614 of 2,617
Correct - from a side view, the stock X3 is like a sandwich:

screen protector film -> smoked/tinted screen cover -> OLED digital screen

With the clear screen cover mod, it becomes like this sandwich:

clear Nintendo screen cover -> OLED digital screen

No screen protector is necessary, as the clear cover used IS scratch resistant - it's the clear screen used on a Nintendo DS. If you know anything about the DS, it comes with a little plastic pen that you draw and move across the screen to play games (some games you go berzerk on the screen with the pen, going back and forth quickly to fight a boss or do some other action in a game). So the plastic Nintendo used is polycarbonate (the same thing used in racing car windshields and eyeglasses due to it's strength and scratch resistance).

Note I said scratch resistance, not scratch proof - it's not like it's gorilla glass or anything. If you rub it on pavement or sandpaper or with car keys, it would scratch the clear Nintendo plastic cover. But polycarbonate is a far cry from the super soft plastic xduoo used on the stock smoked/tinted screen cover (which is why they pre-applied a screen protector LOL).

Also, be aware that you can polish ANY plastic, including the stock smoked/tinted cover or the clear Nintendo cover. All you need is a bottle of plastic polish and a soft cloth or old tshirt. You can get plastic polish liquid at any auto parts store or order it on Amazon etc for a few dollars. It's made for polishing plastic such as headlight lenses and plastic watch crystals and whatnot. You only need a single drop to polish the X3 screen (the least amount possible).

Now, that's not to say that you couldn't ALSO use a screen protector on top of my clear screen mod. You can certainly do that. If you go to any dollar store (or ebay, etc) you can buy sheets of peel and stick screen protection film for cell phones and tablets. You would just cut it to fit and apply it on top of the clear screen mod. If you choose to do that, you end up with this sandwich from a side view:

screen protector film -> clear Nintendo screen cover -> OLED digital screen

Make sense?

As far as how effective it is, yes you can easily see the screen in direct sunlight with the clear Nintendo screen cover. You can't see it at all with the stock smoked/tinted screen cover.

Here's a photo showing the difference (stock smoked/tinted cover is on the left, clear cover is on the right at the same brightness level):

It's hard to tell from the "full brightness" photo of the clear cover (ie bottom left photo), but it's ridiculously bright. So bright that the camera does some magic so it doesn't blow out the photo. It's so bright that I don't even keep the brightness on full. I keep it about 75% of the max, and I can still see it outside just fine (indoors I can turn it down to 10% brightness with the clear screen cover and see it perfectly fine). With the stock smoked/tinted cover, I couldn't see it outside even on 100% full brightness! So it's a huge difference.
Dumb question here, I have never taken off the screen protector film. If I took just that off and did not remove the screen, is the display brighter? My screen cover still has the original air bubbles and it is super annoying and dark of course when used in sunlight even on 16 (rockbox brightness).

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #2,615 of 2,617
Dumb question here, I have never taken off the screen protector film. If I took just that off and did not remove the screen, is the display brighter? My screen cover still has the original air bubbles and it is super annoying and dark of course when used in sunlight even on 16 (rockbox brightness).

You will not really notice the difference in brightness. Also bear in mind that the X3's hard plastic screen window scratches from farts, it's far worse than the plexiglass you find on Casio watches, 2 orders of magnitude worse.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #2,616 of 2,617
You will not really notice the difference in brightness. Also bear in mind that the X3's hard plastic screen window scratches from farts, it's far worse than the plexiglass you find on Casio watches, 2 orders of magnitude worse.
LOL. I might just leave their protector on then. This was my last DAP (2015 I believe) I ever bought, the Xduoo 3 had\has so many quirks ( don;t even get me started with the X2 I have and no longer use), even with rockbox. Mine kept erroring out and crashing but the tech in me would not give up and I took a bunch of music off because I think that the database can only handle so many files. It seems to be working now.

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #2,617 of 2,617
LOL. I might just leave their protector on then. This was my last DAP (2015 I believe) I ever bought, the Xduoo 3 had\has so many quirks ( don;t even get me started with the X2 I have and no longer use), even with rockbox. Mine kept erroring out and crashing but the tech in me would not give up and I took a bunch of music off because I think that the database can only handle so many files. It seems to be working now.
Mine is quite broken tbh. The regular jack output is unusable so when I use it sometimes I have to use a Headphone amp from the line out.
Also during disassembly I broke the upward volume rocker, so now I'm using it at fixed volume as well. I know what's wrong with the output, but considering how much desoldering I would need to do the completely fix this, while also having to buy that really annoying to deal with part for the volume rocker, I think it'll just stay this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back