Rockbox Xduoo X3
May 8, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #2,581 of 2,617
Dear forum, I simply cannot get any further and need your help!

I bought the Xduoo X3 3 years ago and flashed Rockbox according to the instructions. (Vortex)
Unfortunately I could never use playlists, but could only play "All Songs", although I tried different .m3u files and switched all settings in the menu.
Since this is getting on my nerves, I wanted to use the original FW again, but the player doesn't boot the original software anymore and stays in the boot loop.

I tried to restore the original firmware and tried the burning tool many times with different key combinations.I ran the tool in Win7 compatibility mode, but nothing happens when connecting to the computer! I ran the tool in Win7 compatibility mode, but nothing happens when connecting to the computer! Windows says that the drivers for the device are installed, but the explorer does not show the player.

Here are my questions:
Why can't I boot the original firmware anymore and why can't I flash the original firmware? Is there a special trick?
In the original software there was a bug that played files too fast. Is this bug fixed with the original software V1.1?
What is the trick that I can play playlists (.m3u files) with Rockbox?!Is this possible at all?
Are there two HW revisions? how can I find out which version I have?

Which other player offers an equally good sound quality (or a better one), but isn't much more expensive? Is the successor good? Are there any bugs?

Thanks a lot for your help!

May 8, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #2,582 of 2,617
I assume by you referencing Win7 Compatibility mode that you are using Win 10? If so, that doesn’t work. You need to use an actual native Windows 7 computer or it will not work.

To your question about 1.1, no, the speed bug was never fixed in any version of the stock xduoo firmware.

As far as why it’s not booting into the stock firmware, this was a known bug with the earlier versions of the boot loader. It has been corrected in the final and current version of Xvortex’s firmware. In other words, once you use a real Windows 7 computer and do the manual reinstall method to get on the latest version, you won’t have the reboot loop problem anymore.

I don’t know the answers to your other questions though, as I don’t use playlists etc. I’m not sure how to tell which version of hardware you have either. I don’t think there is an easy or foolproof way to tell.

May 14, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #2,583 of 2,617
Can anyone on this forum tell me how to play playlists with Rockbox?
I have iTunes and I use iTunes export to create .m3u files that I copy to the SD card.
I used the original .m3u as well as a version where I shortened the root path of the .m3u:
/music/album/song.mp3 , etc..

.. When I open the playlist in rockbox, the playback screen of one of the songs is displayed briefly, but the screen jumps back to the playlist selection without having started the song.
what am i doing wrong?

thanks a lot for your help!

May 14, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #2,584 of 2,617
Can anyone on this forum tell me how to play playlists with Rockbox?
I have iTunes and I use iTunes export to create .m3u files that I copy to the SD card.
I used the original .m3u as well as a version where I shortened the root path of the .m3u:
/music/album/song.mp3 , etc..

.. When I open the playlist in rockbox, the playback screen of one of the songs is displayed briefly, but the screen jumps back to the playlist selection without having started the song.
what am i doing wrong?

thanks a lot for your help!

This may help:

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=28260.0

https://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa...laylist-in-Rockbox-for-sansa-clip/td-p/226356

May 22, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #2,585 of 2,617
I just tried every button-Press combination tu flash the original firmware on the X3 using native windows 7 but it's the same result as before:
Te flashing process simply will not start.. What am I doing wrong? How do I start the flashing process using the usb burning tool?
- switch to locked (in order to start original firmware)?
- press reset and hold Back-Button.. Then connect to laptop (burning tool already opened and config adjusted) via usb and unpress the back button

.. nothing happenes!

May 22, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #2,586 of 2,617
I just tried every button-Press combination tu flash the original firmware on the X3 using native windows 7 but it's the same result as before:
Te flashing process simply will not start.. What am I doing wrong? How do I start the flashing process using the usb burning tool?
- switch to locked (in order to start original firmware)?
- press reset and hold Back-Button.. Then connect to laptop (burning tool already opened and config adjusted) via usb and unpress the back button

.. nothing happenes!

Are you following the "1st time manual installation" version of the instructions?

http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/manual.htm

You must follow the instructions exactly.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #2,587 of 2,617
Hi, attempted an install of Rockbox last night but as of this morning it is still hanging on the "Updating... Don't Power Off!" screen. This is after 8+ hours. I followed the 7 step instructions at the top of the page here: http://www.xvtx.ru/rockbox/manual.htm I had to format the card to FAT32 using AOMEI Partition Software, as Windows does not allow you to format to FAT32 — but everything looked fine with the SD Card.

What's gone wrong? Is there a way I can abort and reattempt? Can I boot up from the stock firmware any more if I force a shutdown?

May 23, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #2,588 of 2,617
@Slater:
Rockbox was and is working for me.. Te problem is that i cannot boot the original firmware nor can I reflash to Stock Firmware nor the Version 1.1 of the software.
Turning on while on "Lock-state" should enforce the original firmware to boot, but in my case I only get the XDuoo-firmware Boot display shown, where nothing appenes until I trigger a reset..

BTW:
I finally am able to play externally created .m3u-playlists!
The Trick is to change the Root in the playlistpath to "microSD1".

Thank you for the rockbox-porting team!

May 23, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #2,589 of 2,617
Hi, attempted an install of Rockbox last night but as of this morning it is still hanging on the "Updating... Don't Power Off!" screen. This is after 8+ hours. I followed the 7 step instructions at the top of the page here: http://www.xvtx.ru/rockbox/manual.htm I had to format the card to FAT32 using AOMEI Partition Software, as Windows does not allow you to format to FAT32 — but everything looked fine with the SD Card.

What's gone wrong? Is there a way I can abort and reattempt? Can I boot up from the stock firmware any more if I force a shutdown?

You need to follow the first time manual installation instructions on that same page. And it must be from a native, real Windows 7 computer.

May 25, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #2,590 of 2,617
Thanks for the reply, I am using native Windows 7 but was working from the "For first time installation follow this steps" at the top of the guide. I did not know I needed the first time manual instructions.

Now attempting that, I tried to run the script at point (6) but as a mac user I'm a bit unsure what to do. I got an error message in PowerShell saying that it "is not recognised as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file or operable program...".

How do I run the script (and is PowerShell even the right program)? Help much appreciated!

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #2,591 of 2,617
Thanks for the reply, I am using native Windows 7 but was working from the "For first time installation follow this steps" at the top of the guide. I did not know I needed the first time manual instructions.

Now attempting that, I tried to run the script at point (6) but as a mac user I'm a bit unsure what to do. I got an error message in PowerShell saying that it "is not recognised as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file or operable program...".

How do I run the script (and is PowerShell even the right program)? Help much appreciated!

No power shell. You do it all from an old school DOS command prompt (cmd.exe).

Jun 27, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #2,594 of 2,617
Dear audio friends,

I have now solved two major problems that have been bothering me from the beginning of the RockBox transition. Here are the solutions; maybe someone with the same question will encounter the same problem in the future and perhaps will find some help here.

Problem: no playlists are playable.
Solution: rename the root of the absolute path in the .m3u to "microSD1".
Example: relative path of a song on the SD-Card is: "folder/song".
--> absolute path in the .m3u should be "microSD1/folder/songfile"

Problem: After switching off the player, the previously played playlist always starts again from the beginning; it does not continue playing from the previously interrupted position within the playlist.
Solution: Add the following to the config.cfg file:
autocreate bookmarks: on
autoupdate bookmarks: on
autoload bookmarks: on
use most-recent-bookmarks: on
autoresume enable: on

Now, enjoy this awesome piece of technology! BIG Thank You to the RockBox-Developers. Awesome work!

fyi: here is my complete onfig.cfg file:
volume: -11
volume limit: -1
shuffle: on
backlight timeout: 60
backlight timeout plugged: 120
statusbar: off
scrollbar: right
scrollbar width: 4
show icons: off
play selected: off
talk menu: off
folder navigation: on
replaygain type: off
tagcache_ram: on
tagcache_autoupdate: on
pause on headphone unplug: pause and resume
font: /.rockbox/fonts/12-Nimbus.fnt
wps: /.rockbox/wps/Hi-Fi.wps
sbs: /.rockbox/wps/Hi-Fi.sbs
usb hid: off

Jun 27, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #2,595 of 2,617
Dear audio friends,

I have now solved two major problems that have been bothering me from the beginning of the RockBox transition. Here are the solutions; maybe someone with the same question will encounter the same problem in the future and perhaps will find some help here.

Problem: no playlists are playable.
Solution: rename the root of the absolute path in the .m3u to "microSD1".
Example: relative path of a song on the SD-Card is: "folder/song".
--> absolute path in the .m3u should be "microSD1/folder/songfile"

Problem: After switching off the player, the previously played playlist always starts again from the beginning; it does not continue playing from the previously interrupted position within the playlist.
Solution: Add the following to the config.cfg file:

Now, enjoy this awesome piece of technology! BIG Thank You to the RockBox-Developers. Awesome work!

fyi: here is my complete onfig.cfg file:
volume: -11
volume limit: -1
shuffle: on
backlight timeout: 60
backlight timeout plugged: 120
statusbar: off
scrollbar: right
scrollbar width: 4
show icons: off
play selected: off