Rockbox Xduoo X3
Aug 23, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #2,566 of 2,617
You need to get someone to help you fix your X3. Not us... our dap fixing has been a disaster so far.

Right. Some crazy guy/gal PM'd me saying that he could fix it for me. What's wrong with people these days... sometimes they are they sooooo nice lol!

Unfortunately though, we are in different countries, so it won't be viable. Very kind offer though! (you know who you are!)

Didnt tried the bluetooth with rockbox. Tried it now but
there is no option in rockbox or i cant find it.
Yes its dual boot! There is a menu in the beginning
where you can choose between rockbox and firmware.
Also a Samsung pro micro SD 512GB works perfectly with rockbox AND Firmware.
The Firmware is actually very good there is no need for rockbox really.
I have it both because choosing is always better :D

Curous.. does it handle these very challengin requirements of mine?:

- auto shutoff (ie after 45 minutes)

- when it's shut off, ability to press power button (or any button) to power it up and start playing the last track that was playing at the same spot it was playing it?

Thanks

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #2,568 of 2,617
@waynes world - there is the Benjie BJ-T6 which can be rockboxed but as I don't own it I cannot comment on how it sounds. It can be found on Amazon by searching for AGPtek Rocker, priced at C$70, cheaper on Aliexpress though.

Thread here
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-shenzhen-benjie-bj-t6-agptek-rocker.834797/

Thanks. Do you think this is the same.one for.$48?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33009031245.html

Edit: no worries. I will be able to figure that out when I have some time. Thanks for linking that thread - lots of info. The fact that it can be rockboxed gives me hope that it would meet my requirements. And its cheap!

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #2,570 of 2,617
Just curious, has anyone had one of these last? Mine lasted about 3 months. Rockbox installed almost immediately. An audible relay click happens when turned on, but there is zero activity on the screen.

I’ve had mine for 4 years since they were very first released. Works great.

Sep 6, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #2,571 of 2,617
I’ve had mine for 4 years since they were very first released. Works great.
I got mine around 3 years ago. Just found it when cleaning up. I was keeping it around on the off chance that I received a response to the warranty claim. It's the only direct-from-China product I've ever tried to warranty, and it went as expected. I may take it apart and see if there's anything obviously wrong with it. Spontaneous death makes a blown cap plausible.

Sep 23, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #2,573 of 2,617
hello,

i have an opportunity to buy the xduoo x3-2. i would have few questions:

first i am a blind person, thats why these specific questions:

1. can i install your vortex as a blind person without sighted assistance? yes, i saw the manual install option. where is the button, which i have to press and hold? so i know in the future if i buy it.

2. how are supported the talking menus? if its usable, can i create custom language voice files for it for example slovak like in the classic rockbox for sansas?

3. i heard, there are three start up options. rockbox, hibi player, and rockbox tools. can it boot directly to the talking menu?

thanks in advance for your answers.

with regards,

Michal

Sep 23, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #2,574 of 2,617
hello,
i have an opportunity to buy the xduoo x3-2. i would have few questions:
You can install the rockbox custom firmware as regular firmware. It is pretty easy to do.
Now rockbox supported english and russian talking menus. To add other languages you should compile it.
It boot to the prevoius choosed option after 10 sec.

Sep 23, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #2,575 of 2,617
what do you mean by -compiling-? how do i make a custom voicefile, and how do i enable it? next, what do you mean by easy to install the firmware? i need a solution which dont requires sighted assistance. so no scrolling through players settings to install etc. i saw the usb-burn method. how do i install the jz4 driver mentioned there?

Sep 23, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #2,576 of 2,617
what do you mean by -compiling-? how do i make a custom voicefile, and how do i enable it? next, what do you mean by easy to install the firmware? i need a solution which dont requires sighted assistance. so no scrolling through players settings to install etc. i saw the usb-burn method. how do i install the jz4 driver mentioned there?

Do you have a sighted friend that is able to help you get things initially installed?

Maybe a local HeadFier can help?

On the original X3, I remember a sighted member in this thread got rockbox all set up for his local blind friend, and mailed it to him.

There’s loads of awesome people in this community; I know there’s people that would be more than willing to help out so you’re not trying to do it all by yourself.

Sep 23, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #2,577 of 2,617
no i dont have such person, thats why i am asking. i was able to do sansa clip plus by my self, but now they are Quite expensive. and i want to know it to install it alone, so i can help other blind people around me, if they buy a player for themselves. your solution might work once or twice, but not endlessly. because if i manage to do it myself, i can tell others, who will buy the x3-2. as i can buy only the newer one. the original x3 is not awailable here in Slovakia.

Sep 23, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #2,578 of 2,617
no i dont have such person, thats why i am asking. i was able to do sansa clip plus by my self, but now they are Quite expensive. and i want to know it to install it alone, so i can help other blind people around me, if they buy a player for themselves. your solution might work once or twice, but not endlessly. because if i manage to do it myself, i can tell others, who will buy the x3-2. as i can buy only the newer one. the original x3 is not awailable here in Slovakia.

That’s cool. Best of luck, friend! I hope that you’re able to get everything figured out and the installation goes smoothly.

Sep 23, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #2,579 of 2,617
i would use sighted assistance, if everything else fails. i just need to know how to creat custom language voice files, and how to activate them. i know you can turn on the reading in the congiruration ini file within the rockbox folder. the best option would be an utility, like the classic rockbox has.

Sep 26, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #2,580 of 2,617
You can install the rockbox custom firmware as regular firmware. It is pretty easy to do.
Now rockbox supported english and russian talking menus. To add other languages you should compile it.
It boot to the prevoius choosed option after 10 sec.

XVortex, Which media player that you have done Rockbox ports for would you consider your best as to stability and battery life? Just curious as I’m looking into buying one and would love to use Rockbox. Leaning towards whatever is cheapest as players go with great battery life as I’m more interested in audiobook playback than music with Rockbox - something that it really excels at. (I use a Cowon Plenue D2 for music, so have that niche covered!) Anyway, love that you are keeping Rockbox alive on these newer DAPS! Also plan to donate to your cause! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back