Rockbox Xduoo X3
Apr 29, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #2,297 of 2,617
The sound quality of the original firmware is way better than Rockbox can produce.

Rockbox has a ton of sound tweaking options. If you feel like experimenting, you can probably come up with a customised sound setting that will sound similar to the X3's original firmware.

As far as HD audio, Rockbox will quite happily play any resolution you throw at it, but it will downsample to 16 bit. I can still notice the better sound of the HD files, but that's likely due to the mastering process.

I also have relatively severe tinnitus, so golden ears are not my thing. :wink:

May 3, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #2,298 of 2,617
Does anyone else's X3 have a light hissing?

I start to hear it after the second "ticking" sound the x3 makes once the RockBox logo disappears. During most music it doesn't really bother me, but in more quiet music like piano pieces, I can hear it.

I don't think its a pairing issue since I've experienced it with every IEM I own.

I also want to try using the x3 with the stock firmware to see if its a rockbox issue, but the dual boot function doesn't seem to work...

May 3, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #2,300 of 2,617
Hey! Bough it the X3 recently and I'm using the stock firmware yet, although I wish to test Rockbox, but now that I heard that it's not working anymore on the dual boot option I got some doubts about flashing it. So far from what I read it about the pros against the stock it's the 24bit over the 16bit thing, but that I don't really care about because my library is all on 16bit.

And I got some questions...

Can someone tell me how does it work the playlists on rockbox? If it's like the stock? Like in the stock version there's this "all songs" function, but from what I saw, this is just for checking the songs files on the SD(IT DOES'T PLAY), Why? Is there something like that on Rockbox, but instead that plays? Because if it has then I'll would be able to play all my songs randomly!!! :D

Another question. If I click the option button on a Artist folder, would have the option to play all of this particularly Artist songs that are inside? Even if they are organized by "Artist > Album > .flac ? On stock if I click on "Play All", it doesn't play the songs because within the Artist folder there's the Album folder, then the flac. Does Rockbox have this wonderful feature?

And about making playlist, on Rockbox do I have to add music one by one? Or does it have the option to add directly by one click from the Artist or album folder?

The only thing that bothered me on X3 was this.

May 3, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #2,301 of 2,617
Hello,
Been a while posting, but I have a new battery coming for my x3. I am wondering to those who have replaced a battery how you did it and what equipment you needed? As much detail appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave.

You'll need Torx driver to get the 2 case screws off (size T5).

You can get a small toolkit with tiny Torx bits from ebay, Amazon, Aliexpress, Gearbest, and even stores that sell computer hardware (like Micro Center, Frys, etc). They are very common nowadays, and used for opening laptops, cell phones, tablets, etc. They whole kit should only be a few dollars, and it is very useful to have.

The battery is held on with double sided tape. Pull it off slowly so you don't bend the battery (gently heat with a hair dryer to make it come loose easier). The battery just plugs onto the circuit board with a small plug (the plug is 'keyed' to go 1 way only; make sure you make a note of which way it goes). Also, make sure to note exactly how the cable is routed, so you can duplicate the cable routing with the new battery.

I find it best to take clear, close-up photos with my cell phone the second I remove the case back. Then I can reference the photos when reassembling everything.

Install the new battery in the reverse of these instructions. If the double sided tape is still sticky, it can be reused and transferred to the new battery. Otherwise, just install a new strip of double sided tape (available at most stores).

When you reinstall the back cover of the case, if the cover doesn't seem to lay right and is sticking up, that means something is out of place and taking up extra room (most likely the cable laying on top of some electrical component). Don't just smoosh the case down and install the screws and hope the for the best. Instead, remove the cover and figure out what's in the way - the cable most likely needs to be rerouted slightly. Once you have the cable readjusted, try the cover again. It should sit perfectly flat with no gap. THEN you can install the screws.

Finally, be GENTLE with the screws. Do NOT overtighten them. The aluminum is soft, and will strip easily. The screws only need to be tightened snug (ie only until you feel slight resistance).

Good luck!

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #2,303 of 2,617
@Slater, tank you for your response. Do you ae any speifi kit reommendations off Amazon?
Tanks.
Dae.

Sure, glad to help.

As far as a toolkit, if you want the last one the average person will ever need for anything electronic, this is a great kit: https://www.amazon.com/Floureon-Precision-Screwdriver-Smartphone-Electronic/dp/B00SURH7W4/

It has a great selection of tips, and the tips are already magnetized which is a total life saver. It even has extra specialty tools that are useful - SIM card tool, tweezers, screen replacement tools, and a few specialty tips that are hard to find (star and triangle screwdrivers, etc).

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #2,304 of 2,617
Not a bad selection of extras in that kit. Personally I'd suggest looking for a similar kit but making sure that its made from S2 steel instead of the chrome vanadium of the cheaper sets. The difference in hardness of the tips is more than enough to justify the cost. Amazon has this in the mid $30s instead of $25 from Gearbest.

https://www.gearbest.com/screwdriver-screwdriver-set/pp_696715.html?wid=1433363

May 4, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #2,305 of 2,617
Not a bad selection of extras in that kit. Personally I'd suggest looking for a similar kit but making sure that its made from S2 steel instead of the chrome vanadium of the cheaper sets. The difference in hardness of the tips is more than enough to justify the cost. Amazon has this in the mid $30s instead of $25 from Gearbest.

https://www.gearbest.com/screwdriver-screwdriver-set/pp_696715.html?wid=1433363

Totally agree. Wiha stuff is the bomb (I have a Wiha screwdriver set at work). You can't beat the Germans and Swiss for quality tools :)

May 4, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #2,306 of 2,617
Hey! Bough it the X3 recently and I'm using the stock firmware yet, although I wish to test Rockbox, but now that I heard that it's not working anymore on the dual boot option I got some doubts about flashing it. So far from what I read it about the pros against the stock it's the 24bit over the 16bit thing, but that I don't really care about because my library is all on 16bit.

And I got some questions...

Can someone tell me how does it work the playlists on rockbox? If it's like the stock? Like in the stock version there's this "all songs" function, but from what I saw, this is just for checking the songs files on the SD(IT DOES'T PLAY), Why? Is there something like that on Rockbox, but instead that plays? Because if it has then I'll would be able to play all my songs randomly!!! :D

Another question. If I click the option button on a Artist folder, would have the option to play all of this particularly Artist songs that are inside? Even if they are organized by "Artist > Album > .flac ? On stock if I click on "Play All", it doesn't play the songs because within the Artist folder there's the Album folder, then the flac. Does Rockbox have this wonderful feature?

And about making playlist, on Rockbox do I have to add music one by one? Or does it have the option to add directly by one click from the Artist or album folder?

The only thing that bothered me on X3 was this.

i wouldn't hurry to change to rockbox from original. I made a mistake and have changed to rockbox an then wasn't able to go back as the last version of Xduoo doesn't let you to go back. That's why i ordered second one and when i will receive it - i will make a comparison for my self personally, as i will be able to check the same songs at the same time from two different firmware, especially in sound quality department. As i want xduoo x3 to be able to decode in 24 bit, and in rockbox it can't do it. Also to sound it as good as it's capable of and not as some rockbox software designer decides. I don't care in rockbox capabilities of sorting and tweaking everything, Only one big plus of it - popper EQ. As original firmware doesn't have any. It could be a problem if you want your earphones sound as you want and not as they were initially tuned. But if it's really rocbox sound quality are worse as some people states, all other rockbox pluses i don't care as much. As the main our goal as a xduoo buyers - best quality sound as possible. You will be able to go to rockbox all the time you will need, but it will be your last step, and after that there will not be any possibility to step back. You could wait for my comparison, before going to rocbox (or not) because i also concerned about the same questions. So in the couple of weeks i will answer to my self (and porhaps to anyone that is interested) and not from the someones opinions.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #2,307 of 2,617
Without rockbox, you have no gapless play (essential for seamless albums) and you are stuck with the pitch error on the original. I am aware that both of these problems can be fixed by ripping the seamless albums as one big file. For the pitch error you can convert all the files from 44 to 48 (if I remember correctly). Am I willing to do this with gigs and gigs of files? NO.

To me the X3 would be useless without rockbox. I know it downsamples 24 bit files but I don't care. I do not want 24 bit files on my cards because they take up so much space. I find normal 16 bit flac to be perfectly fine.

Rockbox has many features that I do not use but that others love...especially those who come from earlier rockboxed devices.

May 4, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #2,308 of 2,617
i wouldn't hurry to change to rockbox from original. I made a mistake and have changed to rockbox an then wasn't able to go back as the last version of Xduoo doesn't let you to go back. That's why i ordered second one and when i will receive it - i will make a comparison for my self personally, as i will be able to check the same songs at the same time from two different firmware, especially in sound quality department. As i want xduoo x3 to be able to decode in 24 bit, and in rockbox it can't do it. Also to sound it as good as it's capable of and not as some rockbox software designer decides. I don't care in rockbox capabilities of sorting and tweaking everything, Only one big plus of it - popper EQ. As original firmware doesn't have any. It could be a problem if you want your earphones sound as you want and not as they were initially tuned. But if it's really rocbox sound quality are worse as some people states, all other rockbox pluses i don't care as much. As the main our goal as a xduoo buyers - best quality sound as possible. You will be able to go to rockbox all the time you will need, but it will be your last step, and after that there will not be any possibility to step back. You could wait for my comparison, before going to rocbox (or not) because i also concerned about the same questions. So in the couple of weeks i will answer to my self (and porhaps to anyone that is interested) and not from the someones opinions.

Thanks! I'll wait for your opinion about the SQ. I almost switched to RB yesterday!! Then I realized this issue about the dualboot, sad.

But I wished to know about the playlist on Rockbox, if there's any differences in relation the stock. Like I sayied my biggest problem with the stock is about the playlist's method. I'm reading all of the 150 post on this thread to see if someone has some feedback about it. I'm thinking of organizing my library by Artist > .flac and not by Artist > Album > .flac

May 4, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #2,310 of 2,617
I'm thinking of organizing my library by Artist > .flac and not by Artist > Album > .flac

So on artists with a giant discography, and multiple versions of a song (for example, remasters of the same song, or even re-recordings), you're going to have an artists folder with literally hundreds or even thousands of tracks? That could get messy and gives me a headache just thinking about it (as I have >20,000 songs on my xduoo X3). I would be lost if it wasn't for a more organized folder structure. But obviously what works for one person doesn't mean it will work for another. I would just think very carefully before you reorganize your whole music collection that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back