Rockbox Xduoo X3
Apr 16, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #2,281 of 2,617
It's possible that it only works with the stock update. It's been so long I don't remember. But since there has been a huge rash of people lately that have been trying to get back to the stock firmware, I thought I would try and help out with some possible solutions (since XVortex isn't around).

I tried your updating instructions, it does not work, seemingly the only way to do it is to boot into stock with the lock button, select firmware update from the menu and once you selected it you have to quickly flip your lock button so that the flashing process can start before it reboots to Rockbox.

(if dual boot doesn't work then you are stuck with rockbox forever, unless someone figures out how and on what operating system can you do an alternative flashing method from recovery mode, but in 150 pages nobody figured that out in this topic)

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #2,282 of 2,617
I tried your updating instructions, it does not work, seemingly the only way to do it is to boot into stock with the lock button, select firmware update from the menu and once you selected it you have to quickly flip your lock button so that the flashing process can start before it reboots to Rockbox.

(if dual boot doesn't work then you are stuck with rockbox forever, unless someone figures out how and on what operation system can you do an alternative flashing method from recovery mode, but in 150 pages nobody figured that out in this topic)

Wow that really sucks.

Thanks for testing it!

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #2,283 of 2,617
(if dual boot doesn't work then you are stuck with rockbox forever, unless someone figures out how and on what operating system can you do an alternative flashing method from recovery mode, but in 150 pages nobody figured that out in this topic)

Hey, I wanted to let you know I spent some time playing with my X3 (which used to be able to boot to stock firmware) couldn't boot to stock firmware anymore. Just got a clicking relay and black screen. Spent a few hours trying to do the manual reinstall, reinstall stock firmware, etc. No luck on any of it.

The only other pieces of advice I have are:

1. Poke around at the other X3 thread. It's not specific to Rockbox, but there is tons of Rockbox info/troubleshooting/etc in that thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/xduoo-x3-dsd-24bit-192khz-cs4398-chip-lossless-music-player.782912/
2. Send a PM to @XVortex and ask how to reinstall the boatloader/dual boot when the stock firmware is busted. I checked, and he is still active on HeadFi (he was just on a few days ago).

Sorry I don't have better news for you.

I also (finally) updated my X3 to the latest build of Rockbox. I'll be able to see if I get that 'forward button acting as select' issue.

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #2,284 of 2,617
Hey, I wanted to let you know I spent some time playing with my X3 (which used to be able to boot to stock firmware) couldn't boot to stock firmware anymore. Just got a clicking relay and black screen. Spent a few hours trying to do the manual reinstall, reinstall stock firmware, etc. No luck on any of it.

The only other pieces of advice I have are:

1. Poke around at the other X3 thread. It's not specific to Rockbox, but there is tons of Rockbox info/troubleshooting/etc in that thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/xduoo-x3-dsd-24bit-192khz-cs4398-chip-lossless-music-player.782912/
2. Send a PM to @XVortex and ask how to reinstall the boatloader/dual boot when the stock firmware is busted. I checked, and he is still active on HeadFi (he was just on a few days ago).

Sorry I don't have better news for you.

I also (finally) updated my X3 to the latest build of Rockbox. I'll be able to see if I get that 'forward button acting as select' issue.
Did you install or update to a later version of RockBox or did it just spontaneously happen as in it worked the previous time you went to boot to the Xduoo firmware but now when you tried it you couldn't get it to work?

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #2,285 of 2,617
Did you install or update to a later version of RockBox or did it just spontaneously happen as in it worked the previous time you went to boot to the Xduoo firmware but now when you tried it you couldn't get it to work?

It's probably been a year since I needed to get into the stock firmware side. So out of curiousity, and to help troubleshoot the recent wave of people who couldn't dual boot, I tried it last night. To my surprise I was unable to dual boot no matter what I did.

It was at that point that I decided to just go ahead and upgrade to the latest version of Rockbox, hoping it would solve the problem (to no avail).

Since XVortex isn't actively helping with troubleshooting or new code updates, perhaps it's best for new owners to view Rockbox as a 1-way street? Once you go from stock -> Rockbox, there is no dual boot and there is no going back. That would certainly simplify the assistance we try and give people in this and the other X3 thread.

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #2,286 of 2,617
I haven't fully kept up with the thread, so excuse if my information is outdated.

I have a xDuoo x3 I bought a few months ago and when I installed Rockbox on it, dualboot no longer worked. Wanting to see if I just installed it incorrectly, I looked for a way to revert back to the stock firmware and it seems I would need to boot into the stock firmware to flash rockbox out and since I can't boot into the stock firmware, I'm stuck with Rockbox.

I've been using Rockbox for those few months and it's been great, but one major complaint is if I try to boot into the stock firmware, it'll lock up the device. I can't power it down or anything and the only way to restart it is to press the reset button. It means I have to be careful turning on the device (making sure the lock switch is in the correct position) otherwise I'm left with a dead brick until I find something small enough to jam into the hole.

Hopefully developers figure out a solution, I've still enjoyed my Rockbox'd xDuoo x3 very much and it's been very worth it. Looking into upgrading the battery with something larger soon...

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #2,287 of 2,617
I haven't fully kept up with the thread, so excuse if my information is outdated.

I have a xDuoo x3 I bought a few months ago and when I installed Rockbox on it, dualboot no longer worked. Wanting to see if I just installed it incorrectly, I looked for a way to revert back to the stock firmware and it seems I would need to boot into the stock firmware to flash rockbox out and since I can't boot into the stock firmware, I'm stuck with Rockbox.

I've been using Rockbox for those few months and it's been great, but one major complaint is if I try to boot into the stock firmware, it'll lock up the device. I can't power it down or anything and the only way to restart it is to press the reset button. It means I have to be careful turning on the device (making sure the lock switch is in the correct position) otherwise I'm left with a dead brick until I find something small enough to jam into the hole.

Hopefully developers figure out a solution, I've still enjoyed my Rockbox'd xDuoo x3 very much and it's been very worth it. Looking into upgrading the battery with something larger soon...

Look 1 post above yours.

It's good that you like Rockbox, because it seems that's what we have to stick with.

Apr 18, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #2,288 of 2,617
It's probably been a year since I needed to get into the stock firmware side. So out of curiousity, and to help troubleshoot the recent wave of people who couldn't dual boot, I tried it last night. To my surprise I was unable to dual boot no matter what I did.

It was at that point that I decided to just go ahead and upgrade to the latest version of Rockbox, hoping it would solve the problem (to no avail).

Since XVortex isn't actively helping with troubleshooting or new code updates, perhaps it's best for new owners to view Rockbox as a 1-way street? Once you go from stock -> Rockbox, there is no dual boot and there is no going back. That would certainly simplify the assistance we try and give people in this and the other X3 thread.
I was afraid that you were going to say that. I'm thinking that perhaps it would indeed be best to say just that. Its a one way street. We could even add that the developer has been informed of the issue but whether it gets looked at or fixed is unknown.

I just checked my setup, shows RockBox version d898b8c-170609 Xduoo firmware system settings provide just this info for version VTX4. I'm currently able to switch without issues.

Apr 18, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #2,289 of 2,617
I was afraid that you were going to say that. I'm thinking that perhaps it would indeed be best to say just that. Its a one way street. We could even add that the developer has been informed of the issue but whether it gets looked at or fixed is unknown.

I just checked my setup, shows RockBox version d898b8c-170609 Xduoo firmware system settings provide just this info for version VTX4. I'm currently able to switch without issues.

Yes, you have the latest version:

Boot: d312ba8M-160316
System: d898b8c-170609

If I had to guess, I would say the part of bootloader that contains the stock xduoo firmware gets corrupt or overwritten over time (likely due to a some bug). But that is just a semi-educated hunch.

I would consider yourself lucky, and expect that you too will in time lose the ability to go back to the stock firmware.

As I have free time, I will continue to come up with a remedy. I think I have a few ideas on how to manually get back to the stock firmware (no Rockbox), and then I will be able to re-upgrade to Rockbox (in theory getting me back to where you are now; ie being able to dual boot). If I am successful, at least that will be an option for people when they must dual boot (or to uninstall Rockbox such as selling their X3). It's a long shot idea though, but if I can do it I will post instructions.

Apr 19, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #2,291 of 2,617
Here's some general things that you guys can try to troubleshoot this 'forward button acting as select' problem...

List what you have for the following settings:

• Settings - General Settings - Database - Load to RAM
  • Settings - General Settings - Database - Auto Update

NO for both. I don't use the DB at all, have never initialized it, and only navigate by folder-tree.

• General Settings - System - Disk - Directory Cache

YES.

• Settings - Playback Settings - Fade on Stop/Pause

YES.

• Settings - Playback Settings - Pause on Headphone Unplug - Pause on Headphone Unplug

OFF.

• Settings - Playback Settings - Prevent Track Skipping

NO.

• Settings - Playback Settings - Rewind Before Resume

0s.

• Settings - Playback Settings - Rewind on Pause

0s.

Also, you can try these additional steps:

1. Deleting your database file, as it causes odd problems when it gets corrupt. To do so, put the card in a USB reader and delete all the database files (i.e. all the files beginning with 'database_'). Reboot Rockbox, and then initialize the database by going to Settings - General Settings - Database - Initialize Now.

As I said above - had no db to begin with.

2. Delete nvram.bin (in the .rockbox folder). Rockbox will rebuild it when it restarts (it may take a few minutes). When that gets corrupt it can cause issues.

This had no effect.

3. Create a log file by going to Settings - General Settings - Database - Gather Runtime Data and selecting Yes and rebooting. Before it will start logging, you must 1st initialize the database by going to Settings - General Settings - Database - Initialize Now. If you do step #1 above, you will still have to initialize the database as instructed in step #3.

Database is still being built. Need to get some sleep, but will report back. So far the issue persists.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #2,293 of 2,617
Hi there people, I have been reading through this thread and the X3 thread for a couple of days now. I recently bought a player on Ebay.
Just to check, am I right in thinking that the original firmware has a pitch fault on certain files. Rockbox can play no higher quality than 16bit files. The stock firmware eventually stops working after rockbox is installed leaving Rockbox being your only option thereby making this players capability of playing hi res files useless?
I have installed RB and can dual boot at the moment. I checked the pitch thing (with and audio book playing at the same time as my computer) it is very very noticeable.
Are Xduoo ever going to attempt to fix the pitch issue themselves?
The sound quality of the original firmware is way better than Rockbox can produce. Should I just put this player back on Ebay as these facts are just too irritating.

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #2,294 of 2,617
re Xduoo ever going to attempt to fix the pitch issue themselves?

They will never update the firmware.

am I right in thinking

Yes, all your thinking is correct. However, I find the sound quality just fine using the Rockbox firmware. I have never wanted to go back to stock. I only use 16 bit flac though. I don't want files that will take up more room than that on the SD card...although I do have a few on another dap.

I have not bothered to check to see if I can still dual boot. I have had my X3 for nearly 2 years now and I do have other daps.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #2,295 of 2,617
They will never update the firmware.

Yes, all your thinking is correct. However, I find the sound quality just fine using the Rockbox firmware. I have never wanted to go back to stock. I only use 16 bit flac though. I don't want files that will take up more room than that on the SD card...although I do have a few on another dap.

I have not bothered to check to see if I can still dual boot. I have had my X3 for nearly 2 years now and I do have other daps.

Thank you for your quick reply. The SQ may well be personal preference, thankyou for clarifying things for me.
I must say I do like the bookmarking feature on Rockbox.. No other DAP has that, really handy for audiobooks. I'll hold onto it a little longer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back