Rockbox Xduoo X3
May 5, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #2,312 of 2,617
Without rockbox, you have no gapless play (essential for seamless albums) and you are stuck with the pitch error on the original. I am aware that both of these problems can be fixed by ripping the seamless albums as one big file. For the pitch error you can convert all the files from 44 to 48 (if I remember correctly). Am I willing to do this with gigs and gigs of files? NO.

To me the X3 would be useless without rockbox. I know it downsamples 24 bit files but I don't care. I do not want 24 bit files on my cards because they take up so much space. I find normal 16 bit flac to be perfectly fine.

Rockbox has many features that I do not use but that others love...especially those who come from earlier rockboxed devices.
Yeah what he said. Unfortunately Xduoo may make very nice amps (I love my XD-05) and they do use decent hardware and offer it for a reasonable price with their players but they are horrid with support and especially bad with firmware updates. Seriously, leaving a product that has obvious pitch issues playing the most common 16/44 format?

I gave Xduoo the benefit of the doubt with their new crop of players since they were supposedly going to support them better. Got the Xduoo Nano D3. Got a few firmware updates then nothing. So yet another player with obvious issues but no firmware updates to fix the issues.

And they're going to release a X3+ model. No thanks for me. I really like how this X3 works with RockBox which basically made it a valid usable product.

May 5, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #2,314 of 2,617
i wouldn't hurry to change to rockbox from original. I made a mistake and have changed to rockbox an then wasn't able to go back as the last version of Xduoo doesn't let you to go back. That's why i ordered second one and when i will receive it - i will make a comparison for my self personally, as i will be able to check the same songs at the same time from two different firmware, especially in sound quality department. As i want xduoo x3 to be able to decode in 24 bit, and in rockbox it can't do it. Also to sound it as good as it's capable of and not as some rockbox software designer decides. I don't care in rockbox capabilities of sorting and tweaking everything, Only one big plus of it - popper EQ. As original firmware doesn't have any. It could be a problem if you want your earphones sound as you want and not as they were initially tuned. But if it's really rocbox sound quality are worse as some people states, all other rockbox pluses i don't care as much. As the main our goal as a xduoo buyers - best quality sound as possible. You will be able to go to rockbox all the time you will need, but it will be your last step, and after that there will not be any possibility to step back. You could wait for my comparison, before going to rocbox (or not) because i also concerned about the same questions. So in the couple of weeks i will answer to my self (and porhaps to anyone that is interested) and not from the someones opinions.
Fortunately, I have rockbox with dual boot fully working!

May 5, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #2,315 of 2,617
Yeah what he said. Unfortunately Xduoo may make very nice amps (I love my XD-05) and they do use decent hardware and offer it for a reasonable price with their players but they are horrid with support and especially bad with firmware updates. Seriously, leaving a product that has obvious pitch issues playing the most common 16/44 format?

I gave Xduoo the benefit of the doubt with their new crop of players since they were supposedly going to support them better. Got the Xduoo Nano D3. Got a few firmware updates then nothing. So yet another player with obvious issues but no firmware updates to fix the issues.

And they're going to release a X3+ model. No thanks for me. I really like how this X3 works with RockBox which basically made it a valid usable product.
I will not have even thought on buying my X3 if it didn't was for having an usable rockbox version.

May 5, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #2,316 of 2,617
Fortunately, I have rockbox with dual boot fully working!

Yeah, a lot of people do. Some have it working, others don't. Mine used to, and now it doesn't. I think there's some sort of bug (in the code or possibly with the hardware like corruption).

Regardless, you are one of the lucky ones :)

May 6, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #2,318 of 2,617
Hi guys, is there a place where I can order xduoo x3 battery. My battery life is now only 4 hrs. I had tried searching for the battery in Penon and they mentioned that they don't ship it to my country. Can somebody pls help me in this regards.

May 11, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #2,319 of 2,617
Hi all,
probably didn't catch up too much with some old topics, I read some posts but I need some clarifications :D
I'm interested to know if the Rockbox utility provides regularly updates for this player (I've been using the Ipod classic until know and it's still officially developed),
and if the actual version has the speed and pitch correction (which the rockbox ipod have) because it's a very useful feature for me.
I would like to ask even whats the deal with the pitch problem I've seen around, and if its still a issue for the rockbox version.
Thanks

May 11, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #2,320 of 2,617
Hi all,
probably didn't catch up too much with some old topics, I read some posts but I need some clarifications :D
I'm interested to know if the Rockbox utility provides regularly updates for this player (I've been using the Ipod classic until know and it's still officially developed),
and if the actual version has the speed and pitch correction (which the rockbox ipod have) because it's a very useful feature for me.
I would like to ask even whats the deal with the pitch problem I've seen around, and if its still a issue for the rockbox version.
Thanks

No regular updates. Pitch issue fixed.
I believe the issue was not playing 44.1 files at the correct speed.

May 11, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #2,322 of 2,617

The pitch issue was with the stock firmware only...never with rockbox.

May 11, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #2,323 of 2,617
No regular updates. Pitch issue fixed.
I believe the issue was not playing 44.1 files at the correct speed.

Well, there were regular updates - XVortex provided 7-8 updates (way more than xduoo ever did).

The most currently-available X3 update is very stable, fixes 98% of issues, and it includes the most up-to-date official Rockbox code (which was a major update).

May 11, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #2,324 of 2,617
Thanks for the info Slater!

I want to be more specific because I'm in need, and this player is my best and only bet for now (price/quality/rockbox)

The feature that I was speaking about is a pitch/speed adjuster, with the Ipod I could tap the menu button during playback and in a submenu the last choose is pitch/speed correction, with 2 parameters to speed up playback and change the pitch separately.
Is that also avaiable for the Xduoo?

May 11, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #2,325 of 2,617
Thanks for the info Slater!

I want to be more specific because I'm in need, and this player is my best and only bet for now (price/quality/rockbox)

The feature that I was speaking about is a pitch/speed adjuster, with the Ipod I could tap the menu button during playback and in a submenu the last choose is pitch/speed correction, with 2 parameters to speed up playback and change the pitch separately.
Is that also avaiable for the Xduoo?

I know which feature you're speaking of - I use it on my Rockboxed iPod Classic for podcasts and whatnot.

And yes, Rockbox on th X3 can do this. While playing, hold down the play button, then scroll through the list to "Pitch". It's at the very bottom of the list, so it's fastest to just scroll up 1 option, which will bring you to Pitch. In other words, hold down Play while playing, scroll up 1 and you're right there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back