Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with Mango (Stock Firmware)
Mar 11, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #661 of 1,316
Edit: Files are up, links there :)

Ok guys,
here is an update for your rockbox on DX90 with FW2.1.8. All of this Firmwares and rockbox builds I could not test because I have no DX90. I did not take the official FW, I took the one by Lurker, because he did only cleanup the Firmware and not hocuspocusing the sound (and because jj69 asked me for this one). So if you are brave enough to try it, please do it and give a feedback that also the other users can follow if it works.
I have uploaded 2 different firmwares with different bootloaders. One includes the "old way", headwhackers style that everybody has used until @napka came up with the builds from the rockbox git. As napka has reported, the official rockbox builds from git now work too, so I would recommend to use this ones. There you will also have daily updates. Headwhacker did not have time to update his builds for a long time.

The two versions are not compatible!

You will have to choose which way to go:

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #662 of 1,316
  !!! Links will follow in some hours :frowning2:  !!!
Ok guys,
here is an update for your rockbox on DX90 with FW2.1.8. All of this Firmwares and rockbox builds I could not test because I have no DX90. I did not take the official FW, I took the one by Lurker, because he did only cleanup the Firmware and not hocuspocusing the sound (and because jj69 asked me for this one). So if you are brave enough to try it, please do it and give a feedback that also the rest can follow if it works.
I have included 2 different firmwares with different bootloaders. One includes the "old way", headwhackers style that everybody has used until @napka came up with the builds from the rockbox git. As napka has reported, the official rockbox builds from git now work too, so I would recommend to use this method. For this you will also have daily updates. This two versions are not compatible!

• Headwhacker: FW2.1.8 mod by @Lurker (L1) and headwhackers rockbox dualboot
    -> together with an old headwhackers build from the first post
  • Build from rockbox git: FW2.1.8 mod by @Lurker (L1) and official rockbox dualboot
    -> together with either the official dev build for DX90 or a build i did including some ibasso optimization patches from gerrit (1150 PS1, 1075 PS13 and 1007 PS10). Napkas builds should work too

If we choose to go with the new official "rockbox git" version, which update procedure should we follow? 

Should we first roll our DX90 back to stock firmware? 

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #663 of 1,316

If we choose to go with the new official "rockbox git" version, which update procedure should we follow? 

No, just extract the rockbox zip to the internal drive, the firmware to the sdcard and do the firmware upgrade from recovery.
If you switch from headwhacker -> regular rockbox you can copy settings and themes from the "rockbox" folder to the ".rockbox" folder (I guess), but this can also be done later.

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #664 of 1,316

Good question. The last time I checked, the iBasso Rockbox ports weren't simple point n click installs using the Rockbox Utility.

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #665 of 1,316
  No, just extract the rockbox zip to the internal drive, the firmware to the sdcard and do the firmware upgrade.
If you switch from headwhacker -> regular rockbox you can copy settings and themes from the "rockbox" folder to the ".rockbox" folder (I guess), but this can also be done later.

I'm sorry, I'm already confused.  I'm just not a programer/Android expert, and I don't want to make a mistake during install that might brick my DX90. 

Right now I'm running 2.1.5L1 with the non-cwm version of Rockbox, which I installed using your instructions in the first post in this thread. 

Could you provide step-by-step upgrade instructions with links to each file I need to download?  It's probably the only way I'd feel comfortable trying to upgrade. 

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #666 of 1,316
  No, just extract the rockbox zip to the internal drive, the firmware to the sdcard and do the firmware upgrade.

Ok.  Going for it!  Will check back in when I'm done.  Wish me luck!!!

EDIT: Well, I would've updated but you can't update normally with the firmware file on the mSD card - only with the firmware file on the internal drive.  I'm going to try that...

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #667 of 1,316
Worked just fine for me once I put both the .rockbox folder and Cholero's modified update.img file in the root folder of the DX90's internal drive. Booted right back up with the choice to boot into either mango or rockbox. Just remember that you need to set the DX90's hold switch to the on position while booting if you want the mango / lockbox chooser to show up at boot.

Thanks @cholero!

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #668 of 1,316
Worked just fine for me once I put both the .rockbox folder and Cholero's modified update.img file in the root folder of the DX90's internal drive. Booted right back up with the choice to boot into either mango or rockbox. Just remember that you need to set the DX90's hold switch to the on position while booting if you want the mango / lockbox chooser to show up at boot.

Thanks @cholero
!

You did do the firmware update in recovery?
So you can confirm that the rockbox git version is workin, thats good. Which rockbox build did you take?

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #669 of 1,316
I'm sorry, I'm already confused.  I'm just not a programer/Android expert, and I don't want to make a mistake during install that might brick my DX90. 

Right now I'm running 2.1.5L1 with the non-cwm version of Rockbox, which I installed using your instructions in the first post in this thread. 

Could you provide step-by-step upgrade instructions with links to each file I need to download?  It's probably the only way I'd feel comfortable trying to upgrade. 

There is no cwm for DX 90.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #670 of 1,316

I doubt you can brick DX90.

There is just 2 steps. 1st Just treat the patched update.img file like a stock FW update. Even if you stop here you can always boot Mango by selecting it from the menu.

2nd, just download the rockbox zip file and simply extract it on the internal storage. 

Mar 12, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #671 of 1,316
You did do the firmware update in recovery?
So you can confirm that the rockbox git version is workin, thats good. Which rockbox build did you take?

I dropped the .rockbox folder and update.img with iBasso patches in the root of my DX90, ejected all drives from my Mac, updated the firmware as usual, and was greeted with the choice to boot into Mango or Rockbox. The DX90 has been connected to my Mac since updating the firmware, so I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. I'll listen to it tonight / tomorrow and check back in.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #674 of 1,316
  Which is the best version of Rockbox?

Headwhacker or rockbox git.

It's hard to say. Rockbox git version is more modern overall, has some DX50/DX90-related options and general improvements and new boot loader. But some Headwhacker's changes have not been ported (only a few) or accepted (more) yet and sometimes I miss Headwhacker's builds.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #675 of 1,316

Oops. I've missed out you was going to make firmware for rockbox git. At least now we have both images for L0 and L1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back