Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with Mango (Stock Firmware)
Oct 28, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #541 of 1,316
  Dear headwhacker, would you be able to respond to my query below, thanks in advance;

"Just checking if either of the bootup (Mango (Stock with Lurker's mod / Rockbox) has the 'System Update' in its menu. I can only see System Info.
Original stock FW has it hence we are able to update the FW. 
I don't see it anywhere or is it hidden somewhere.

In other words, how do i update FW in the future?"

It will only appear in the Mango menu if it can see the file update.img in DX90's internal storage.

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #544 of 1,316
Hello, first of all i want to thank you for this awesome fw ... but now the drama ... the hold switch on my dx90 broke, (and it got stuck on hold position, so i had to open the unit and manually switch it with a pointy thing) and it doesn't work anymore, so I came here to ask if there is any way to access the boot menu using another combination of keys (power + volume down, for example).

I'll appreciate some guidance on how to make this work again, or how to modify the fw myself in future releases.

thanks.

Nov 3, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #546 of 1,316
Hello, first of all i want to thank you for this awesome fw ... but now the drama ... the hold switch on my dx90 broke, (and it got stuck on hold position, so i had to open the unit and manually switch it with a pointy thing) and it doesn't work anymore, so I came here to ask if there is any way to access the boot menu using another combination of keys (power + volume down, for example).

I'll appreciate some guidance on how to make this work again, or how to modify the fw myself in future releases.

thanks.

That's unfortunate. If it still under warranty you should contact iBasso. If you can make the Android ADB work from your PC you can edit a file to select which app to boot.

Another option is to flash the stock FW to boot to Mango. Then flash the patched FW to boot to RB.

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #549 of 1,316
To headwhacker:
New DX90 firmware is out and are good reaction on it. Please, can You make new FW with dual boot for Rockbox?

Let's wait until Lurker release his mod. Pretty sure someone else will ask to patch his modded FW. I don't want to release too many patched version of the stock FW.

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #551 of 1,316
Unlikely this is iBasso's issue. I had one of the dual FW setups lock it up on mine and forgot how I recovered it bit it never turned on again until I reinstalled a FW. I think it can be done from an update file on the SD card in recovery mode. Hold power and Vol up during turn on. There's also the rockchip tool but it may not be recognized. Got it to work dual boot again but have since dropped RB as an option because I prefer the stock and lurkers FW.

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #552 of 1,316

thanks.

Here's another workaround without flashing between FWs.

If DX90 is booting into Rockbox by default do these steps to boot to Mango.

You need to edit the content of /data/chosen_player file. It is set to 1 at this point and you need to change it to 0.

1. Settings -> General Settings -> File View -> Show Files.

This option must be set to "All", so the chosen_player file is visible from the File Browser.

2. Go to Files and locate "chosen_player" file from the /data folder. Go to the top-most level (root) directory then go inside the data folder.

3. Once you located "chosen_player",  select and hold the file using the touch screen until the context menu appears. Select "Open with ..." and choose "text editor".

4. You should see "1" on the first line and already highlighted. Press the "PLAY" button to invoke the on-screen keyboard.

5. From there just change 1 to 0. To save the changes, just press and hold the center location of the touch-screen. You will go back to the previous screen and should now show "0". Press the power button to invoke the main menu and select "Save and Exit".

6. Reboot. it will run Mango instead of Rockbox.

If DX90 boots to Mango by default and you want to switch to Rockbox just do a factory reset in Mango and it will automatically reboot to Rockbox.

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #555 of 1,316

Here's another workaround without flashing between FWs.

If DX90 is booting into Rockbox by default do these steps to boot to Mango.

You need to edit the content of /data/chosen_player file. It is set to 1 at this point and you need to change it to 0.

1. Settings -> General Settings -> File View -> Show Files.

This option must be set to "All", so the chosen_player file is visible from the File Browser.

2. Go to Files and locate "chosen_player" file from the /data folder. Go to the top-most level (root) directory then go inside the data folder.

3. Once you located "chosen_player",  select and hold the file using the touch screen until the context menu appears. Select "Open with ..." and choose "text editor".

4. You should see "1" on the first line and already highlighted. Press the "PLAY" button to invoke the on-screen keyboard.

5. From there just change 1 to 0. To save the changes, just press and hold the center location of the touch-screen. You will go back to the previous screen and should now show "0". Press the power button to invoke the main menu and select "Save and Exit".

6. Reboot. it will run Mango instead of Rockbox.

If DX90 boots to Mango by default and you want to switch to Rockbox just do a factory reset in Mango and it will automatically reboot to Rockbox.

Thanks a lot, I will try this on the next release of the FW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back