Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Mar 14, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #91 of 2,020
Questions for @xzcc:

cf: http://www.head-fi.org/t/680472/dx50-bug-list-wish-list-fix/285#post_9806161

Have you tried the Rockchip CWM recovery images at androtab.info or were you rolling your own?

Do you have a method to unbrick DX50 if the recovery flash procedure fails?

I've tried an image from androtab.info for our processor. Never tried to dig into that stuff with customizing recoveries.
Of course every time I tried I got a brick, and unbricking is absolutely easy with Rockchip Batch Tool.

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #92 of 2,020
Rockbox is transparent. DX50 hardware seems to be transparent or very close to it. FiiO's X5 player or hardware is not transparent. You be the judge from that.

Play time should be about the same as Mango, maybe a little better depending on flash I/O. Standby time (player on, paused) should be better but I haven't tried that, yet.

I'm told that iBasso has a strongly negative opinion about Rockbox. Probably because it's GPL and they would have to publish any changes they make and that could reveal information about the component part numbers they take pains to obscure. I'm guessing but I'll bet they're either really not happy about it (someone messing with our player? how dare they!) or ecstatic (look! more people will buy our stuff!).

Thanks !

Do you have tried the X5 to say that ?

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #93 of 2,020
The major drawback of RockBox is that it downsamples hires files to 16/44 before playing them. Please dont start a debate on if that makes an audible difference, we are never going to agree on that subject :wink:

Not gonna argue that. I am going to point out the fact that every good quality DAC, including the Wolfson in DX50 and the Sabres that will be in DX90 and PonoPlayer, have low-pass filters that must be set at 20 kHz (Wolfson specification) or 22 kHz (ESS specification to the best of my knowledge) in order to achieve their specified performance characteristics.

I personally don't see that it makes any difference whether the decoder down-samples or not. Anything above ~20 kHz is discarded by the DAC's low-pass filter regardless of what the decoder feeds it. Your subjective mileage may vary.

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #94 of 2,020
Do you have tried the X5 to say that ?

No, but according to reviews and descriptions over in the X5 thread, X5 has FiiO's house sound or something close to it. A house sound is not audibly transparent. If you prefer FiiO's house sound to transparent then X5 may sound better to you than DX50 + Rockbox.

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #96 of 2,020
  So, Rockboxed DX50 or X5, which has the better SQ ?
bigsmile_face.gif

What's hte new battery life with RB ?

(and what does Ibasso thinks of that ?)

Same as the original if not just a bit shorter. I think it will be better once the screen can be totally turned off while a song is playing. ( At the moment only the backlight can be turned off but not the display yet)

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #98 of 2,020
currently listening: DX50(rockboxed)/C&C BH2
all I can say is HOLY COW!!

im going bananas with the backlight lol

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #99 of 2,020
  So, Rockboxed DX50 or X5, which has the better SQ ?
bigsmile_face.gif

What's hte new battery life with RB ?

(and what does Ibasso thinks of that ?)

I've got one with RB and one with stock.  Can't hear any difference between the two.  Granted, my old ears aren't what they used to be but is there is any change it's very minimal. IMO.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #100 of 2,020
Trying the rockbox on dx50. One thing concern is the font cant read japanese nor chinese.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #101 of 2,020
just try rock box ... first time trying actually... not bad just that how to turn screen off?? and no support for chinese language is no no..

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #102 of 2,020
revert back to 1.2.8 waiting for much better rockbox

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #103 of 2,020
I'm going to assume that rockbox for the DX90 is in the cards, no? That would be tempting...

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #105 of 2,020
  just try rock box ... first time trying actually... not bad just that how to turn screen off?? and no support for chinese language is no no..

The press and hold on the power button to shut it down is not yet working. You have to turn it off by the shutdown button on the main menu from the touchscreen. Or you can set the idle timer and it will shutdown automatically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back