Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Apr 27, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #2,011 of 2,020
Here's the updated installation instruction containing a link to the new firmware 1.9.5:

Unofficial Installation instruction for Rockbox on iBasso DX50

There are 2 different ways for the update: choose either the green (recommended, internal storage) or the brown (fallback, microSD fat32) method.

• Download the files:
    • Firmware 1.9.5** including the rockbox dualboot app.
    • a rockbox build: either a development build from the official page or an optimized build for DX50:
      official development build

ibassodx50-small.png

iBasso DX50

it is a "development build" but problems are rare
      source code:
      rockbox git tree
      changelog

optimized build
      download from zippyshare

contains these patches:
      "Modern User Interface" ps10
      User selectable hold switch mode ps13
      "Debounce" patch ps1

source code from march 11th, 2016
  • connect your player to the computer to have access to its storage
  • extract the update.img form DX50Firmware...zip to the root of your
    a) either microSD card (which has to be formatted to fat32)
    b) or internal storage
  • extract the content of the rockbox-build-zip to the root of the internal storage of your DX50 (it contains one single folder: ".rockbox"). If the file manager asks questions about merging or overwriting because of an older rockbox installation, overwrite all existing files (settings won't be lost)
  • Update the Firmware (brown or green, as above):
    a) reboot to recovery: Power off the device, then power it on while you are holding vol+then select "apply update from SDcard"
    b) Boot the official Frimware and select: Settings / Advanced / System update
    -> Firmware 1.9.5 containing the rockbox dualboot app will be flashed (update.img)
  • that's it, you're done

-> to switch between Mango and rockbox, you have to put the "lock" switch to "locked" position when you are booting then the dualboot selector will appear

** Mirror for all files is available @ MEGA. You also find older firmware there
I'm so happy your mirror on Mega still works. I was worried at first when the original link stopped working. My audio stutters in stock firmware almost like a scratched CD from time to time. If I remember correctly Rockbox fixes this issue for me so I am setting it up again. Thank you for the work you have done.

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #2,012 of 2,020
I was listening to my Rockboxed DX50 yesterday and started wondering exactly how long I've owned it. I used this thread for the answer: going on 7 years! What a high-value purchase it has been. Only during COVID exile have I ever slowed down in using it (since I have actual stereo systems in three rooms while working from home), and it's still going strong. People ask me what it is and are blown away when I play them something through my Sennheisers.

When I window shop for what I'd buy for a replacement if I had to, I really don't know. User reviews of current ibasso players agree they sound great but often complain about the UI and/or firmware, and none of them have been Rockboxed.

It would be nice to be able to play my DAP through my upsampling DAC via Bluetooth, but I don't care about Tidal or any such services and don't see a need for Wifi or Android apps (unless there's a great music player app I don't know about). Amp module swapping is an interesting idea, but doesn't sound to me like it would be worth the money. And really a $1000+ DAP just makes me think how crappy it would be to lose it or have it stolen.

So it occurred to me: I can still buy a brand-new DX90 with a warranty. Rather than risk being annoyed with the UI on the DX120, if my DX50 were to die I could get a DX90 and Rockbox it.

Is that a crazy idea? Has sound quality advanced so far in 7 years that the DX90 doesn't compare? What do you all think?

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #2,013 of 2,020
I was listening to my Rockboxed DX50 yesterday and started wondering exactly how long I've owned it. I used this thread for the answer: going on 7 years! What a high-value purchase it has been. Only during COVID exile have I ever slowed down in using it (since I have actual stereo systems in three rooms while working from home), and it's still going strong. People ask me what it is and are blown away when I play them something through my Sennheisers.

When I window shop for what I'd buy for a replacement if I had to, I really don't know. User reviews of current ibasso players agree they sound great but often complain about the UI and/or firmware, and none of them have been Rockboxed.

It would be nice to be able to play my DAP through my upsampling DAC via Bluetooth, but I don't care about Tidal or any such services and don't see a need for Wifi or Android apps (unless there's a great music player app I don't know about). Amp module swapping is an interesting idea, but doesn't sound to me like it would be worth the money. And really a $1000+ DAP just makes me think how crappy it would be to lose it or have it stolen.

So it occurred to me: I can still buy a brand-new DX90 with a warranty. Rather than risk being annoyed with the UI on the DX120, if my DX50 were to die I could get a DX90 and Rockbox it.

Is that a crazy idea? Has sound quality advanced so far in 7 years that the DX90 doesn't compare? What do you all think?
I own exactly the same since 2014 : Rockboxed Ibasso DX50 -> ifi micro idsd BL -> Sennheisser HD700.

I’ve had no need to change or upgrade, if the dx50/dx90 were to become unavailable for replacement; would one of the rockboxed xduoo models be a suitable replacement while keeping the ifi DAC/amp? Can Bluetooth or USB out replace the digital SPDIF outputs of the DX50/90?

As for progressed sound quality, the only things that have come to mind are improved headphones/speakers with balanced outputs, better Bluetooth & more customisable DAC/AMPs. It is a whole controversy of the increased bit rate & formats of DSD & MQA & whether these are better than the rockbox supported CD/DVD bit rates.

Jun 7, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #2,014 of 2,020
This afternoon my Rockboxed DX50 has started crashing whenever I press play on a file. I can navigate through the files on my microSD card just fine, but when I press play the screen goes white and says:

+PANIC+
Stkov audio
oc: 00066F00 sp: 0014ef20
A: 00066f70
ot end

(It looks like maybe there's some text cut off at the beginning of the third line and the fifth line --- as though those lines began to the left of the screen, if that makes sense --- but I can't be sure.)

That white screen goes away only when I eject the microSD card. Then the player goes back to Rockbox after a few seconds of delay.

The problem started when I inserted a new 1TB card, formatted to exFAT like my prior card. The player navigated the folders and files normally, then went to the crash screen when I pushed play. I took out the card and tried playing the files on my PC, and it worked fine. I put my prior 400GB card back in the player, but it behaved just like the 1TB card. It's also exFAT (I checked) and has worked fine in the player for a long time.

The only other thing worth noting is that a few weeks ago all my rockbox settings reverted to default, including the theme. I simply reset the ones I could remember and thought little about it, but it's never happened before in 7 years, so I thought I'd mention it.

Any explanation or idea about this? Has my card reader suddenly gone bad? Has my Rockbox installation gone bad? I'd really appreciate any help.

Jun 7, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #2,015 of 2,020
Followup: I put an album on the internal memory, which I never really use, and the same thing happens.

Also, while I had the DX50 plugged into my PC as a hard drive, I played files from both the external microSD card and the internal memory with no problems.

Jun 13, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #2,016 of 2,020
OK...By doing a lot of thread reading I think I figured out what I was doing wrong in trying to reinstall Rockbox. (Mango, which I never used before, works fine.) But it seems to install updates I need the "stock recovery" file to get past cwm recovery, and none of the links to that file are good any more.

Can someone connect me to the stock recovery file, or is this thread truly dead?

Jun 13, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #2,017 of 2,020
OK...By doing a lot of thread reading I think I figured out what I was doing wrong in trying to reinstall Rockbox. (Mango, which I never used before, works fine.) But it seems to install updates I need the "stock recovery" file to get past cwm recovery, and none of the links to that file are good any more.

Can someone connect me to the stock recovery file, or is this thread truly dead?

Not user but this might help. Good luck!

https://forum.open-embedded.org/rockbox/t/rockbox-for-ibasso-dx50-cwm-recovery/794

https://forum.gsmnigeria.com/gsmforums/how-to-download-from-pan-baidu-com-baidu-com/

May 4, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #2,019 of 2,020
Dear Sir Sorry if i disturb or if I commit en error but seems that i can't open a new thread in Head-fi but only to post a replay.

Very kind Cholero help me to install 1.95 rockbox firmware on ibasso dx-50 and work.

But i'm not able to save the name of a playlist.
I add a music song to a a new Playlist--->insert name-------> but i tries all the button and I touch in every screen position

and i did not find the OK to save playlist.

I try different theme but i think is not a theme problem.

Have you some idea ?

Thank a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back