Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Mar 15, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #123 of 2,020
  Am I the only one having trouble changing between Mango and Rockbox by pressing volume down & power button? Maybe I'm getting old, but it hardly works for me, Am I doing something wrong?

Took me several tries to figure out the proper sequence. I got used to press and holding buttons with DX50 until I see a response.

Just press and volume volume -,  then press and release the power button and release volume -. It should reboot in 1 second or 2.

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #124 of 2,020
I looked on Rockbox. What is the link for the DX50 rockbox as I didn't see it on the website. Or is this not a true Rockbox. I looked at the first page and I assume it is a separate build from the actual site of Rockbox? 

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #126 of 2,020
Okay, no luck so far with getting CWM installed and working. The root shell method gives me a blank screen. Several different methods of building update images have resulted in files that RBT says are invalid. I'll keep poking at it.

Edit: the procedure that should work:

* Unpack update.img (use rkflashtool).
* Replace the unpacked recovery.img with the recovery.img taken from the RK2928 generic CWM zip file.
* Pack everything up into a new image.
* Sign the image with rkcrc (the one I have is part of the rkflashtool set).
* Copy new update.img to internal storage.
* Boot Mango and perform a system upgrade.

I'll keep at it. Maybe I missed something.

Edit: Figured out how to make a working update image using imgRePackerRK:
* extract: imgRePackerRK /cid update.img
* substitute files
* pack: imgRePackerRK update.img.dump

CWM is there but the screen is blank and buttons seem to be unresponsive. It's not bricked. A normal boot will start the selected player. I just don't have a working recovery this way.

Edit: okay... maybe giving up. I know my procedure works. I was able to add the v1.1.5 recovery to v1.2.8 w/ Rockbox and everything works properly. None of the CWM recoveries that I've tried installing work. They all go to blank screen and no button input.

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #127 of 2,020
I looked on Rockbox. What is the link for the DX50 rockbox as I didn't see it on the website. Or is this not a true Rockbox. I looked at the first page and I assume it is a separate build from the actual site of Rockbox?

It's a fork of the Android port which is not officially released at this time.
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/AndroidPort

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #128 of 2,020

Took me several tries to figure out the proper sequence. I got used to press and holding buttons with DX50 until I see a response.

Just press and volume volume -,  then press and release the power button and release volume -. It should reboot in 1 second 

Thanks for all your help, it reboots, but still in the same system it was before.I tried stop pressing the power button before and at the same moment the Ibasso log is back after rebooting but without succes. What is the right moment for stop pressing the power button. Again your help is much appreciated.

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #129 of 2,020
What is the easiest way to upload themes in DX50 without going through adb? Can the system file be mounted when connected to a PC USB?

There isn't one, yet. The main line Android port has the same problem. All of Rockbox's files and configuration are on /data which is not exposed via USB. The common methods are:

ADB: copy files up and/or into place with adb and shell commands.
file manager: a file manager with root can copy files from /sdcard to wherever they need to go.
local shell: as with ADB but not connected to a host.

The second and third methods are unfeasible on DX50. Both require more or less full Android systems, display and command entry, which we don't have.

If we can get Clockwork installed and working then we will have a less cumbersome method. Files could be installed from the recovery menu with just a reboot and a few button presses.

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #131 of 2,020
Immediately. Not immediately releasing the power button is "press and hold" not "press and release".

redface.gif
 Thanks, Now finally I got it. 
wink_face.gif

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #132 of 2,020
Rockbox is too good to pass up. This morning I purchased a DX50. For the last 2 years I have happily used a Rockboxed Fuze+ and Clip Zip. Unfortunately, the Fuze+ battery is dragging, so the DX50 is the perfect dap to replace it. I cant wait to hear the ibasso sound signature .

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #133 of 2,020
I used Rockbox on the iRiver HXXX series because the UI of iRiver was terrible. I find that the UI of the DX50 to be easy. The Rockbox will negate the use of high resolution files, which defeats some of the possibilities of the DX50 so I am not sure of the advantage. 

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #135 of 2,020
Rockbox will down-sample to 16/44.1 before feeding bits to the DAC. Now go read post 10362330.

Even if they do, you can still lose information from hi rez. Not all information is above a certain point. The subtle slap of acoustics from a side or back wall, caught with higher definition, will not be brick walled. 

Once reason I like my Audio Note based dac is because there is no filter and no cutoff, which results in a more natural and open sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back