Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Mar 15, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #136 of 2,020
Rockbox will down-sample to 16/44.1 before feeding bits to the DAC. Now go read post 10362330.

This is a bit oversimplified.  Rockbox has to have a fixed output sampling rate, which is configurable (44.1k or 48k if you use Opus a lot).  Internally, all of the rockbox code uses 32 bit samples (ARM processors are 32 bit so using anything else wouldn't be efficient).  What gets passed to the DAC is whatever the audio driver decides to pass (it actually can take 32 bit samples if it wants).

I discussed this with the DX50 developer, and told him to test 24 bit output and see if the hardware actually support it.  Basically any modern DAC will happily accept 24 or even 32 bit samples, but most do not actually use the extra information, so you have to test and see what comes out.  If it can actually produce a different output voltage when you change the 17 bit in an audio sample, then it will be simple to support 24 bit output.  If changing the 17th bit does nothing, then I suggested he use 16 bit output to save battery life.  Most likely though the port will eventually support whatever the hardware is actually capable of.  

Mar 15, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #138 of 2,020

This is a bit oversimplified.  Rockbox has to have a fixed output sampling rate, which is configurable (44.1k or 48k if you use Opus a lot).  Internally, all of the rockbox code uses 32 bit samples (ARM processors are 32 bit so using anything else wouldn't be efficient).  What gets passed to the DAC is whatever the audio driver decides to pass (it actually can take 32 bit samples if it wants).

I discussed this with the DX50 developer, and told him to test 24 bit output and see if the hardware actually support it.  Basically any modern DAC will happily accept 24 or even 32 bit samples, but most do not actually use the extra information, so you have to test and see what comes out.  If it can actually produce a different output voltage when you change the 17 bit in an audio sample, then it will be simple to support 24 bit output.  If changing the 17th bit does nothing, then I suggested he use 16 bit output to save battery life.  Most likely though the port will eventually support whatever the hardware is actually capable of.  

Wow! Glad to see you here! Thank you for attention to the port :)
Actually I've done some preliminary measurements with RMAA as you suggested.
In short
1) my 'fast track ultra' card actually gives around -102dB SNR and DR in 24/96 mode in a loop, so *almost* enough to measure >16 bit
2) dx50 with mango player goes as close to card loop quality as possible, sometimes even 0.1dB better =D
3) dx50 with rockbox shows around 2-3 dB worse

BUT that's very preliminary, I have to verify everything and find a proper cable.

By the way, I've started searching places in code which I have to change for 16->24/32, but did'nt spend much time on that yet.

Taking the opportunity to talk, let me present the new build where 2 most annoying things (backlight off and power button) look like fixed:
https://bitbucket.org/isergachev/rockbox/wiki/Home

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #140 of 2,020
Are you still using the Android port as a base?  I'm actually not too familiar with that, so you might need to ask Kugel.  The rockbox PCM/DSP engine though is already pure 32 bit.  Its possible the Android bits assume 16 bit, though thats probably not too hard to fix.  Most likely at some point its just calling the functions in dsp_sample_output.c, which could easily be made to clip to 24 bit instead of clip to 16 as now.  

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #145 of 2,020
Taking the opportunity to talk, let me present the new build where 2 most annoying things (backlight off and power button) look like fixed:
https://bitbucket.org/isergachev/rockbox/wiki/Home

Great job many many thanks. With dual boot - it is a no brainer to instal, which I have done :D

Is it my ears or does rockbox sound cleaner & better than the Ibasso FW 2.8 and if so why ??

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #146 of 2,020
So I installed it )
Number of possibilities is astounding.
Very unusual ) are unusual and new opportunities and a lack of old annoying bugs )
Will need to get used to the interface logic , as well as figure out how to upload there another theme ...
Unusual sound manner . Now clearly felt evenness of sound, but to me it seems more like the old ) have a reason to play with the equalizer.
Annoying oversampling course topic , but luckily for me , in my library 99% of records are 16/44, as 24/192 only 3 of digitizing vinyl with Pink Floyd ) In general, many thanks for your work !) If you cat disable the oversampling it will be all cool !

Mar 15, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #148 of 2,020
Great job many many thanks. With dual boot - it is a no brainer to instal, which I have done
biggrin.gif

Is it my ears or does rockbox sound cleaner & better than the Ibasso FW 2.8 and if so why ??

That is because RB by default has a flat signal response. This goes to show the iBasso firmware is a bit colored. If you like the original FW you can still achive it with RB by playing with the EQ function. But I like the sound RB default brings out on DX50. It lifts every ounce of details in the music a feeds it raw to your amp and headphone. Making the overall source more natural than the default FW (imo).

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #149 of 2,020
To the Rockbox team... this is so cool! Love it.

Question: Is it possible to save the time and date? I know std FW lacks it and assume there is no clock in the device. Is that why the date and time doesn't stick?

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #150 of 2,020
  To the Rockbox team... this is so cool! Love it.

Question: Is it possible to save the time and date? I know std FW lacks it and assume there is no clock in the device. Is that why the date and time doesn't stick?

+1!  Also, I'm a complete n00b to RockBox's control UI.  Is there a guide to the settings somewhere?  I did manage to get it playing and I do like what I hear!
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back